Darkvoice 336 arrived in 110 voltage.
Jun 29, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #166 of 823
I thought that tube amps were supposed to give up some detail? I'm not finding that to be the case at all. I'm hearing all the detail topped off by warm enveloping velvety richness. In other words where's the trade off? Why have I been so stubborn so long! I'm like a little kid re-discovering all my old toys (albums).

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #167 of 823
He now has a PayPal account
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #170 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Very nice pictures everyone. Looks like a hell of an amp, would love to hear it with the RS-1
rs1smile.gif

I'm taking mine to the Dallas meet on the 8th of July. Anyone wanting to attend can give it a listen.

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #171 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Hey awesome! That solves your problem and will also make it easier on others wanting to order one.

I spent my money on music CDs thinking that he'd never get a PayPal account up and working. Based on his replies I was under the impression that he gave up on getting the PayPal account up as it was too much of a hassle
redface.gif

I'm trying to find everything that I don't need anymore to sell now. Hopefully I can get the money back again
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #172 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I spent my money on music CDs thinking that he'd never get a PayPal account up and working. Based on his replies I was under the impression that he gave up on getting the PayPal account up as it was too much of a hassle
redface.gif

I'm trying to find everything that I don't need anymore to sell now. Hopefully I can get the money back again
frown.gif

LOL, I've been there buddy!
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #173 of 823
Can anyone compare sound quality of stock Darkvoice with stock Woo 3 or possibly X-cans v3?
I was never buying audio equipment without audition but out of these 3 I had a chance to try only X-Can and with AKG501 I was not impressed /brand new though/
Is Woo worth extra 200 USD?

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #174 of 823
Quote:

LOL, I've been there buddy!
tongue.gif

Yeah, I should get pretty close to it if someone buys my Karma and I can cancel one or my music CDs order. Right now I have $82.75 and I'm going to keep track of this in my sig
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #175 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Yeah, I should get pretty close to it if someone buys my Karma and I can cancel one or my music CDs order. Right now I have $82.75 and I'm going to keep track of this in my sig
biggrin.gif

Cool idea. I'll be watching.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #176 of 823
I'm considdering one, I was looking at the this and the ld2 (if the darkvoice was still available at $250 I would just buy one and try it.) I looking through the thread and did a search but I didn't find any impressions of grados with this amp--tho I imagine I'll find the ones I missed 2 seconds after I post. So I guess does any one have grado+darkvoice impressions6

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #177 of 823
I just got done machining the front panel and wiring in a switch to toggle on or off the bypass cap mod I added. There's plenty of room for the switch, but getting the caps, resistors, and wires in place in the front of the amp was tougher than I expected. I had to reposition some of the existing resistors to get it to fit right. But I fired it up a few minutes ago (with the stock tubes just in case of a dramatic malfunction), and it still WORKS!

I'm going to leave it running on the workbench for a while tonight just to be sure, then I'll bring it back in and put the good tubes in to give it a whirl.

Anybody got any other ideas on things to mod on my Darkvoice?
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #178 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
I just got done machining the front panel and wiring in a switch to toggle on or off the bypass cap mod I added. There's plenty of room for the switch, but getting the caps, resistors, and wires in place in the front of the amp was tougher than I expected. I had to reposition some of the existing resistors to get it to fit right. But I fired it up a few minutes ago (with the stock tubes just in case of a dramatic malfunction), and it still WORKS!

I'm going to leave it running on the workbench for a while tonight just to be sure, then I'll bring it back in and put the good tubes in to give it a whirl.

Anybody got any other ideas on things to mod on my Darkvoice?
biggrin.gif

I'm always so impressed by people that can DIY electrical stuff. I just don't know enough about it. I can make you anything out of wood however. Please show some pics and tell me more about what the mod accomplishes. It sounds really cool!

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #179 of 823
Quote:

I'm always so impressed by people that can DIY electrical stuff. I just don't know enough about it. I can make you anything out of wood however. Please show some pics and tell me more about what the mod accomplishes. It sounds really cool!

It's really not that difficult in the case of the Darkvoice, because of its very simple design and easy access to all the parts. I'm not big into modding on compact PCB layouts for instance. Now that I can easily switch it on or off I'll try to get some impressions put together over the next few days as I listen and compare. The original intent of the mod was to reduce some of the hum & noise I was picking up on the Tung-Sol through the AC heater supply and case vibrations, but it has an effect on the sound that I find really enjoyable in some ways and not as much in others.

I've already put it back in my main system so I can't get any internal pictures (and it's not my prettiest soldering work either, so I'm not in a rush to show it off
biggrin.gif
), but here's a picture of the front panel itself:

It's not as smooth as the power switch's hole, but it does look a lot better in person than in that picture. Plus the new switch is smaller than the power switch, so it isn't easily confused with the power switch.

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #180 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
It's really not that difficult in the case of the Darkvoice, because of its very simple design and easy access to all the parts. I'm not big into modding on compact PCB layouts for instance. Now that I can easily switch it on or off I'll try to get some impressions put together over the next few days as I listen and compare. The original intent of the mod was to reduce some of the hum & noise I was picking up on the Tung-Sol through the AC heater supply and case vibrations, but it has an effect on the sound that I find really enjoyable in some ways and not as much in others.

I've already put it back in my main system so I can't get any internal pictures (and it's not my prettiest soldering work either, so I'm not in a rush to show it off
biggrin.gif
), but here's a picture of the front panel itself:

It's not as smooth as the power switch's hole, but it does look a lot better in person than in that picture. Plus the new switch is smaller than the power switch, so it isn't easily confused with the power switch.

The front plate is what I wanted to see anyway. Wow! nice job, I'm impressed. I thought yours looked different in one of your pics, but didn't realize it was Silver. Didn't know they were made in silver. Very cool Fitz, and thanks for the explanation.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back