Darkest Desires PART IV
May 20, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #46 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
I just wanted to throw in my nod to one of the best metal albums ever created.. Acid Bath's WHEN THE KITE STRING POPS. It's just great. No matter what style of metal you like, there is something to love in this album. Ok Christian Metal fans need not apply. There's thrash (reminicent of Slayer) mostly, some stoner and southern rock vibes, some nice accoustic bits, even stuff that verges on hardcore. The vocalist, Dax Riggs, is one of the more versitle singers I've ever heard front a metal band. He goes from piercing scream to deep croon at the drop of a hat. These guys can play. I'm lucky I got to see them play twice. Amazing. If you dig this, then their 2nd album PAEGAN TERROISM TACTICS is also highly reccommended.

-jar

I totally agree. Was just listening to them yesterday. An amazing band, killer CD's.

May 20, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #48 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
ET
There is one more step to the complete TRISTANIA collection, there is a CD that collects two EPS together "Midwintertears/Angina" for 7 tracks total, so really a MCD. At least three of those are non album tracks so needless to say another essential purchase.

I am a completist and it's available. I'll put in an order once I get home.

Thanks DA.

May 20, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #49 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138
fans of Grief, Eyehategod, and Burning Witch should check out Graves at Sea. Their demo cdr has been playing in my car non-stop for about 2 weeks.

well, seeing as how I've never heard Grief or Burning Witch, I suppose I have some investigating to do..

How about Buzzoven? there was a band that lived it like they played it.. hard and fast with wreckless abandon..

-jar

May 20, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #50 of 1,001
A tip for fans of Opeth and progressive/experimental metal:

Kayo Dot's "Choirs of the Eye" on John Zorn's Tzadik label (yeah, that's right, a metal band on Tzadik)!

A quote from Aquarius' review: Quote:

"Imagine an epic combination of Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Radiohead's OK Computer, Neurosis or Tarantula Hawk, and Faith No More circa Angel Dust (Kayo Dot's singer definitely has some sort of crush on Mike Patton)!! The heavy parts are HEAVY, the pop stuff nicely poppy, the dreamy stuff way dreamy and delicate. Music to float along with, or dive down deep into. The dense heavy sections approach Boris or Pelican levels, with screams buried beneath the din...then it'll break down into a piano interlude or Frippish guitar solo."

The Godspeed references are spot-on. This stuff is amazing. It swings from soft to heavy to soft back to heavy again and it's recorded very well.

If you like Opeth but want something with a little more variation, try this Kayo Dot album.

- Chris

May 21, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #51 of 1,001
Yeah, I have both Virgin Black albums, and DA has at least heard them, both albums are very good -- sort of like a gothier version of Therion, without as "full" an accompaniment of orchestra and choir. Quote:

On another note, can someone recommend me anything that sounds like sigh? Particularly anything similar to track 2 of imaginary sonicscape.

Nope, not a clue, but wanted to bump your request, because I like Sigh a lot, too. Quote:

Originally Posted by minya

Kayo Dot's "Choirs of the Eye" on John Zorn's Tzadik label (yeah, that's right, a metal band on Tzadik)!

Sounds good! I'll have to check it out...did you ever check out Ephel Duath's The Painter's Palette?

May 21, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #52 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I'll have to check it out...did you ever check out Ephel Duath's The Painter's Palette?

Dusty, I downloaded a copy but never gave it the attention it deserved. I'll check it out soon. I'm on a metal kick lately so if I enjoy it, I'll order it from Aquarius.

I'm rocking a Kinski record now. Only one track in but I'm very much digging it.

I want to hear some Circle... Finnish psych-prog-krautrockers. Familiar with them, Dusty?

- Chris

May 21, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #53 of 1,001
official statement :

"We are truly sorry to inform you that Candlemass have disbanded!
This is sad news for us and everybody else that love this fantastic band.
There will be no more gigs, no new album, no more doom!
This is it... ..finished..........zero...........nada........out !!!

Despite the tremendous success of the reunion, everything hasn’t been perfect.
Tiny cracks in the façade could be seen during the first round in the summer of 2002 because members of the band do not share the same vision of C-mass, the gigs, an eventual new album, democracy etc, and last year it became clear that the indifferences were too large to overcome.
A demo was recorded but the internal problems overshadowed the fun of playing. The gig at Klubben (Stockholm) nov. 29 came to be the last and final for Candlemass.

The band have tried to save the situation. There have been meetings and discussions, but unfortunately it hasn’t been possible for the five members to agree on how Candlemass could work in the future. The members would have loved to continue but the chemistry is just not there anymore.
The magic is gone......................... "

May 21, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #54 of 1,001
Other news :

Shape of Despair are working on the final mix of their new opus: 'Illusion's Play'. No release date has been set yet, but Spinefarm should announce one soon. Once the new album has been released the official website will also be updated to fit the new release.

http://www.shapeofdespair.tk/

Canadian experimental funeral doom metal project, Dusk ov Shadows debut demo is available as a free download!

get it here : http://www.soundclick.com/duskovshadows

May 21, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #55 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Other news :

Shape of Despair are working on the final mix of their new opus: 'Illusion's Play'. No release date has been set yet, but Spinefarm should announce one soon. Once the new album has been released the official website will also be updated to fit the new release.

awesome
cool.gif

Quote:

Guess how i found out about kayo dot? this livejournal entry. After reading that a bit more i browsed around the journal and found out she was a violinist for the band, so i found a track to see what they were like. They're an ok band i guess.

May 21, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #56 of 1,001
Minya : Nice to hear you listen to Circle. I thought that band was really unknown outside Finland. If you like experimental prog bands, you could like Hidria Spacefolk and Magyar Posse, both finnish bands and mostly appeal to the same audience as Circle.

Hidria Spacefolk has been called the "Ozric Tentacles of Finland", and they even were the warm-up band for Ozric on their finnish gig in Helsinki few weeks ago. Oriental and experimental mix of electronic music and instrumental progressive rock. I really like the album "Symbiosis" from them. Check out samples at www.hidriaspacefolk.st

Magyar Posse is like a mix of Enrio Morricone and Ulver. Very original indeed. Again, a fully instrumental band, which has quickly became a very popular live act. A bit psychedelic and modern "western music". They also have a homepage with samples, but can't remember it's adress hehe.

May 21, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #57 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Minya : Nice to hear you listen to Circle. I thought that band was really unknown outside Finland. If you like experimental prog bands, you could like Hidria Spacefolk and Magyar Posse, both finnish bands and mostly appeal to the same audience as Circle.

Hidria Spacefolk has been called the "Ozric Tentacles of Finland", and they even were the warm-up band for Ozric on their finnish gig in Helsinki few weeks ago. Oriental and experimental mix of electronic music and instrumental progressive rock. I really like the album "Symbiosis" from them. Check out samples at www.hidriaspacefolk.st

Magyar Posse is like a mix of Enrio Morricone and Ulver. Very original indeed. Again, a fully instrumental band, which has quickly became a very popular live act. A bit psychedelic and modern "western music". They also have a homepage with samples, but can't remember it's adress hehe.

Awesome! Thanks, Nacher, I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to check them both out. Sheesh, it seems like every day, two new great bands I need to hear are added to my list. I'm never going to catch up.
tongue.gif

BTW, Nacher, I haven't actually heard Circle, I just know about them (and am intrigued by them). What's a good place for a beginner to start? Have you heard one of their sideprojects called Pharaoh Overlord? Sounds interesting.

Thanks again for the help.

- Chris

May 21, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #58 of 1,001
New ELEND album in autumn

Elend are currently finishing the production of their forthcoming album "Sunwar the Dead", scheduled for release through Prophecy Productions in September 2004. The album will be the second part of a 5-album cycle. In contrast to the transitional work "Winds Devouring Men" (the prologue to this cycle released in 2003), the pieces of music featured on "Sunwar the Dead" are the fastest and most violent ones ever written by the composers. For the first time Elend have recorded with a complete classical ensemble featuring strings, brass, woodwinds, orchestral percussion and female choir.

OMG! Can I even find words for telling how much I'm looking forward for this album?

May 21, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #59 of 1,001
Quote:

Sheesh, it seems like every day, two new great bands I need to hear are added to my list. I'm never going to catch up.

Ditto and on top of that I'm dealing with getting caught up with past classics! But it's an enjoyable challenge.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #60 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
New ELEND album in autumn

Elend are currently finishing the production of their forthcoming album "Sunwar the Dead", scheduled for release through Prophecy Productions in September 2004. The album will be the second part of a 5-album cycle. In contrast to the transitional work "Winds Devouring Men" (the prologue to this cycle released in 2003), the pieces of music featured on "Sunwar the Dead" are the fastest and most violent ones ever written by the composers. For the first time Elend have recorded with a complete classical ensemble featuring strings, brass, woodwinds, orchestral percussion and female choir.

This sounds very interesting. What is a good first thing to get of Elend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back