Darkest Desires PART IV
May 21, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #61 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
This sounds very interesting. What is a good first thing to get of Elend?

Winds Devouring Men is their latest, and by far the best album. The End sells it if I remember correctly. For starters, Elend isn't a metal. It's more like a mix of classical, darkwave and industrial with a _very_ dark and sinister sound. Really one of my favourites.

Minya (and others): To make your list even longer, I have one more suggestion : Tenhi. They have became the signature chill-out neofolk band of the finnish metal scene (and one of my personal favourites), even though their music has nothing to do with metal, and seems to appeal as well to other people, no matter what their musical preferences are. Their latest album (Väre) is a mix of progrock and "shamanistic" neo-folk with a long list of instruments from guitars and drums to flutes, strings, jawharp, didgeridoos and so on. The debut, Kauan, is quite different. It has more instrumental tracks and the sound is closer to neo-classical with long piano compositions and great acoustic guitar tracks. www.tenhi.com has some unreleased songs as samples, though only song that sounds like the albums (Väre) is the alternate version of "Suortuva". Tenhi has been available at The End as well.

May 21, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #63 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Winds Devouring Men is their latest, and by far the best album.

Excellent.

Anyone familiar with Satyricon can tell me if there are glaring omissions or unworthy inclusions from their 10TH anniverary compilation? (I really don't like compilations as I'm sure I'll miss a real gem but there is just so much music out there and I have to compromise).
Ten Horns Ten Diadems
1. Filthgrinder
2. Dominions of Satyricon [Remastered]
3. Forhekset
4. Night of Divine Power [Remastered]
5. Hvite Krists Død
6. Mother North
7. Supersonic Jorney
8. Taakeslottet [Remastered]
9. Serpent's Rise
10. Repined person Nation

May 22, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #64 of 1,001
I think I'll pass on Elend.

Sirenia - 'An Elixir For Existence' anyone know how close it is to the magic of Veland's Tristania? (DA?)

KR... did you mention recently, in someones thread about quality recordings, two metal bands? I've searched but have been unable to locate your comment as I remember it. The closest I can find is the mention of Avrigus in DD pt3. If I'm not imagining things and you did mention "two" bands I would like very much to know the names. Thanks.

May 23, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #65 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I think I'll pass on Elend.
Sirenia - 'An Elixir For Existence' anyone know how close it is to the magic of Veland's Tristania? (DA?)

SIRENIA
Morten Velands solo project after leaving TRISTANIA produces very high qualirty work similar to old band, but not quite at that supremely high level of artistry.........I have both albums and think newest one "elixir" is the best one.

I would not get that SATYRICON best hits collection which contains some inferior later works.......instead get any of the first three albums:
-Nemesis Divina
-Shadowthrone
-Dark Medievil Times
If you hear one you will want the other two, a dark trilogy of atmospheric evil, #10 on my recent list.

May 23, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #66 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I would not get that SATYRICON best hits collection which contains some inferior later works.......instead get any of the first three albums.

Yes, I was especially suspicious of #10 Repined person Nation. Thanks D.A.

May 23, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #67 of 1,001
DarkAngel : I found Thyrane - Black Harmony (their very first album before symphonies) from a local recordstore for 7 euros, but didn't have any cash. Damn. That one is quite hard to find nowadays. Have you seen that album anywhere?

May 23, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #69 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
DarkAngel : I found Thyrane - Black Harmony (their very first album before symphonies) from a local recordstore for 7 euros, but didn't have any cash. Damn. That one is quite hard to find nowadays. Have you seen that album anywhere?

Yes I do see it for sale occassionally.........but it is often sold as a split album between:
-Thyrane
-Dead Beginners

The End has it now for $13, and Century Media has it as 4 song Thyrane EP for $10 or split album for $12.
cool.gif

May 23, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #70 of 1,001
Symphony X is more on the power metal side, and I don't think we have much fans or power metal in this thread.

DA : I think you should check it out. The 4 songs total over 30 minutes of lenght, and from what I have heard people saying, those songs are quite good. I think I have to get 7 euros somewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #71 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ry_goody
Symphony X is a really good metal band (haven't seen them mentioned).

I had the first two Symphony X albums but sold them some time ago, still have some BLIND GUARDIAN and a few similar style groups........but as Nacher said not many here have progressive/power metal tastes, more into dark metal here.

May 23, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #72 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ry_goody
Symphony X is a really good metal band (haven't seen them mentioned).

I have Divine Wings SE. Good soild amercian power metal.

Quote:

KR... did you mention recently, in someones thread about quality recordings, two metal bands? I've searched but have been unable to locate your comment as I remember it. The closest I can find is the mention of Avrigus in DD pt3. If I'm not imagining things and you did mention "two" bands I would like very much to know the names. Thanks.

The other was the last Moonspell album. Also the last Mago de Oz cd was true audiophile quailty (way better than any metal or rock CD that I ever heard), but it cost a lot of money.

May 23, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #73 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Also the last Mago de Oz cd was true audiophile quailty (way better than any metal or rock CD that I ever heard), but it cost a lot of money.

As Mago de Oz are spanish and the amazon Gaia price is $38.99, all I can say is [size=large]Ay Caramba!!![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back