Darkest Desires PART IV
Jul 13, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #331 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Arrgh, not another "how to spell" thread. We had a long discussion about how Opeth and Dimmu Borgir should be spelled. You can find it by scrolling a few pages backwards. As a short summary : It's with a hard O.

Oh thanks. I just missed the discussion.

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #332 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Order just placed for:

Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design

cool.gif

A letter about that Celtic Frost 'Anthology' out in 2005.

Sanctuary Records, London, have approached their German office in Berlin, the former Noise Records (and original label of Celtic Frost in the 1980s), with the intention to compile a two-CD slipcase "Anthology" covering Celtic Frost's career. Steve Hammonds of Sanctuary London also proposed that he would compile the respective track listing. Although it was apparently not intended by the London office to involve the band in such a significant project, the inquiry was forwarded to us by Sanctuary's Berlin office. We are extremely grateful for this. On Thursday, February 19, 2004, the band responded as follows:

"We had a detailed discussion last night about the idea of releasing a Celtic Frost anthology. While we are generally sceptical of such proposals (not least because of last year's unspeakably cheap, inappropriate and unauthorized "Are You Morbid" compilation CD, released via "Delta Deluxe Records") we also believe that an anthology can be made into an exciting, fresh, convincing and valid product, if it is done right.

The aforementioned "Are You Morbid" compilation CD received ridicule and utterly bad re-views. Very deservedly so. It was not only a product of which the band had not been informed about and the timing of which was completely ill-advised, but it conveyed the very obvious aura of a quick-shot, money-greedy, low-attention-to-detail release.

Yes, a record company cannot realistically pay attention to every act's little peculiarities, but in the case of Celtic Frost, such shoddiness simply won't fly. Not with the target audience, not with the media, and certainly not with the band. Celtic Frost's reputation exists solely because we care for quality, originality and art. The entire "brand of Celtic Frost" is based on that. The very reason for this anthology (namely that the name Celtic Frost is still ever-present in the scene and as an influence quoted by many of today's major bands) is rooted is this distinction. Had Celtic Frost's own work been assembled as haphazardly as the aforementioned compilation, the band's name wouldn't amount to anything. If a record company ventures to release quick-shot CDs with our band's name on it, it will be more than evident to even the most simple-minded rock fan on this planet that the band has not been involved with such a CD and therefore doesn't back it, and that such a CD is designed with the mere intention of wringing money from wallets that have already paid for the very same music once before (albeit with a better packaging/presentation).

We, at least, don't really feel like screwing our audience like that.

We have decided to propose to you a full cooperation between the band and record company on this anthology. It will be the only way this proposed 2-CD set will look and feel authentic to the public and media, and a way to make it enticing and worthy enough for people to seriously think about spending their money on it. It will enable the record company to promote the CD under the banner of "produced in cooperation with the band", since it will be a true Celtic Frost release. And it is the only way we feel able to back such an anthology. We will not stand for a single further unauthorized CD with our name on it, and we will go out of our way to make this known in a most public manner and on a truly global scale if this is to happen again with this anthology.

We therefore propose the following:

- The 2-CD anthology be divided into one CD of Hellhammer and one CD of Celtic Frost.

- Hellhammer has so far not been reasonably represented on CD, and this presents a significant potential due to that band's underground reputation and influence on today's hard music. We are also very proud of Hellhammer's legacy and enthusiastic about the importance and intensity of the band's body of work.

- We will submit the full track listing for both CDs and can do so as early as next week.

- We are in possession of Hellhammer demo tapes (and the rights thereto), which have never officially been released on CD. While the quality of these recordings is extremely basic, it will be a major selling point of the anthology if we include a handful of demo tracks. The administrative details for this can surely be worked out between band and record company.

- The Hellhammer CD would of course also feature selected songs recorded by Hellhammer for Noise Records in 1984.

- The Celtic Frost half of the anthology: we can put an exciting one together in our sleep.

- We will submit the entire artwork for the CD. One side of the booklet will feature Celtic Frost cover art, the other Hellhammer cover art. We will submit some photographic material which has not yet been widely seen. There are also a number of Hellhammer photographs in our possession which have never been released. We will include a few lines of explanatory text for each song featured on the CDs (timeframe, recording circumstances, trivia etc.), plus some brief anthology liner notes and detailed credits.

- All Celtic Frost songs will be taken from the Noise Records re-issue sessions of 1999 (the very detailed remastering performed at that time improved the sound quality significantly). The Hellhammer demo tracks would have to undergo only a basic mastering.

- The name of the anthology will be "Innocence and Wrath - An Anthology" (after one of Celtic Frost's classic songs of 1985).

- The gestation of this project would probably benefit if we would work as much as possible with the Berlin office, as we have enjoyed a very fruitful cooperation for the re-issue CDs.

Please think about these ideas and let us know your thoughts. All subsequent details could be worked out in the coming days/weeks.

Best regards,

Celtic Frost"

Jul 14, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #333 of 1,001
Just a word about possible Celtic Frost 2CD Anthology:
Big mistake to devote entire CD to early Hellhammer material, way too much emphasis, for 30 track set maybe 3-4 should be Hellhammer. I realize they are trying to appeal to existing fans with rare material, that doesn't mean it is great music. I would rather have 30 best songs, and not have equal material from all albums like many Anthologies.

How the mighty have fallen:
Been listening to early Opeth this week and what a shame that they have lost thier musical direction with recent disappointing mediocraty like Damnation album. They have fallen so far that I suspect they will never recover.
frown.gif

I used to think that Morningrise was best album......I am really torn now and think My Arms Your Hearse may overall be the best. Thier debut Orchid may be best debut album ever by any dark metal group, nearly perfect. The creative cycle peaked with magnificant Blackwater Park took a step back with Deliverance and dropped off a cliff with Damnation.

Still because of sustained magnificence of Orchid -> Blackwater Park they fully deserve the #2 ranking on my top 50 list.

Jul 14, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #334 of 1,001
As Åkerfeldt said, people will be surprised with their next album, because they may be thinking that Opeth will redo Damnation, which they are not going to do for sure. What a shame, Damnation is great, hehe. Actually some of it's song have matured a lot as live versions, and far surpass the original album versions. Deliverance is the only dissapointing Opeth album IMO, but it's quite unlikely for the new album to sound like Deliverance either. Why? Two rumors :

1. Opeth will quite likely have a dedicated keyboard player for the next album.

2. The next album might have two songs, both lasting around 30 minutes.

The second rumor is rather unlikely to come true, but I have understood that the addition of a dedicated keyboard player is very close to being sure.

Edit : I should once again promote Throes of Dawn - Quicksilver Clouds in case you are about to forget about it. It rocks.

Double Edit : Two days till Tuska, wohoo
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #335 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Just a word about possible Celtic Frost 2CD Anthology:Big mistake to devote entire CD to early Hellhammer material, way too much emphasis, for 30 track set maybe 3-4 should be Hellhammer.

It makes me wonder about the wisdom/objectivity of being too close to the music as artists can be. A 2 CD redbook anthology of a band with 4 releases
confused.gif

Quote:

[How the mighty have fallen:
I used to think that Morningrise was best album......I am really torn now and think My Arms Your Hearse may overall be the best.

Heh...finally someone agrees with me.
wink.gif

Although it's a close call I always thought MAYH just slightly edged out the others. And I like 'Deliverance' enough that it may be my #2, based upon the 1-2 punch of 'Wreath' & 'Deliverance'. It's not perfect for sure, but at the times they are good, they are very excellent. I'm refering to those really great passages within long songs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
As Åkerfeldt said, people will be surprised with their next album

If I remember properly the next one is supposed to be their heaviest yet according to Åkerfeldt. I'm opimistic, but then again I'm usually optimistic (and often disappointed).

I'm not troubled by the different directions Opeth has explored. It's unrealistic to expect them to tread the same territory over & over with the amount of talent they have. They're only human and get bored repeating themselves. I like that the different albums are so different sounding from eachother even if they do seem to be becoming a little less uniformly excellent, making a few more missteps.

Jul 15, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #336 of 1,001
Reading a Mayhem interview in the latest BW&BK reminded me of KR...'s review of Chimera in DD partIII, which I read again.
I've ordered 'Chimera'.

Interesting interview with Blasphemer, seems there has been much mellowing out in their personal lives, if not in the music.
Recording in the "forests of Norway, 100 kilometres away from Oslo." "really nice to have peaceful surroundings" "looking at the moonlight outside, over the fjord"
Living in Portugal: "a beautiful country with cheap beer" "I have a girlfriend now" "I got a beautiful terrace here that's made for drinking beer, I love the atmospere here, and for once I am enjoying life!"

He'll soon change his name from Blasphemer to Harmonizer.

Jul 15, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #337 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Reading a Mayhem interview in the latest BW&BK reminded me of KR...'s review of Chimera in DD partIII, which I read again.
I've ordered 'Chimera'.

Hope you like Chimera.....my advice would have been to get "dom sathanas" and "wolf's lair" first.

Jul 15, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #338 of 1,001
Quote:

I've ordered 'Chimera'.

Interesting interview with Blasphemer, seems there has been much mellowing out in their personal lives, if not in the music.
Recording in the "forests of Norway, 100 kilometres away from Oslo." "really nice to have peaceful surroundings" "looking at the moonlight outside, over the fjord"
Living in Portugal: "a beautiful country with cheap beer" "I have a girlfriend now" "I got a beautiful terrace here that's made for drinking beer, I love the atmospere here, and for once I am enjoying life!"

He'll soon change his name from Blasphemer to Harmonizer.

Yes, damn him for being happy! How could he?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #339 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Yes, damn him for being happy! How could he?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Sorry about that, yeah...I guess I didn't make myself too clear.
I approve, and found it interesting, which is why I copied it.,
Even the most hardcore people I have known succumb to a little domestic tranquilty eventually (if they live long enough). Unhappiness is just plain exhausting after too many years. Good for him, he'll live longer and we'll get more music probably.

And I like getting an accurate picture of what's going on rather than the phony 'I'm a really evil dude' publicity picture. I admire his candour.

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #340 of 1,001
Quote:

Sorry about that, yeah...I guess I didn't make myself too clear.
I approve, and found it interesting, which is why I copied it.,
Even the most hardcore people I have known succumb to a little domestic tranquilty eventually (if they live long enough). Unhappiness is just plain exhausting after too many years. Good for him, he'll live longer and we'll get more music probably.

And I like getting an accurate picture of what's going on rather than the phony 'I'm a really evil dude' publicity picture. I admire his candour.

That's good, and I like that he is not trying to be a fake poser like so many others. Read any newer interview with Darkthrone and they are some of the funniest interviews you will ever read.

We must remember that these guys started playing music as kids, they were just young teenage punks who didn't know any better. They are now men and are now mature. Good for them. They are human beings, you can't be a super angry teenager your whole life.

All that live hard/die young crap is not cool and is a waste of talent.

Jul 16, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #341 of 1,001
Some metal news :

MEGADETH
former bassist Dave Ellefson has filed a lawsuit against Dave Mustaine seeking $18.5 million in damages for allegedly cheating him out of royalties and backing out of a deal to turn the Megadeth franchise over to him when the band broke up in 2002

DANZIG
Glenn Danzig has announced that this fall’s package tour “Blackest Of The Black 2004” will be the last Danzig tour – also on the bill are: Doyle (x-Misfits), Mayhem, DevilDriver, Death Angel, Eyes Of Fire

DIMMU BORGIR
drummer Tony Laureano (Nile) has been drafted as session drummer for the Ozzfest gigs

Jul 16, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #342 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Quick question.posted on 10 July 2004

Lacuna Coil - Comalies. The only song from that album I have heard is Swamped. I don't much care for that song. It is too slow, and just not my style. I am wondering if all the songs on this album are of similar tempo, or is that the slowest song there? The new music and video store in town has the Ozzfest edition of Comalies, so I have been considering picking it up. If all the music is similar to Swamped, I am not interested.

HELLO? are my posts invisible now?

Jul 16, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #343 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Some metal news :

MEGADETH
former bassist Dave Ellefson has filed a lawsuit against Dave Mustaine seeking $18.5 million in damages for allegedly cheating him out of royalties and backing out of a deal to turn the Megadeth franchise over to him when the band broke up in 2002

That's a shame, especially with Mustaine back in commision. I've heard a bit off the new album, and it sounds better than a lot of their latter day material. Getting back to their roots it seems.

Scott

Jul 16, 2004 at 11:32 AM Post #344 of 1,001
I saw a recommendation ongod forbid and i have to agree, i saw them a couple of weeks back together with shadow falls killswitch engage en chimaira. Al great bands to check out

I think they call it new wave of america metal or something.
Anyways check them out.

Another band who im my opinion needs to be on top of your list is the swedish band Soilwork especially there first albums.

Oh yeah my latest find is a german band called Caliban; a bunch of very talented kids who can go far.
They are now in the nuclear blast stable(soilwork, in flames etc.)
And there sophmore album is gonna come out in september i think and will be produced by the guys of inflames.

So that sounds very promising.

I feel like bragging, bands i've seen live last month:

my dying fetus
brides of destruction
alice cooper
judast priest
saxon
life of agony
chimaira
shadow falls
god forbid
killswitch engage
hatebreed
agnostic front
do or die
ignite
dimmu borgir
children of bodom
cradle of filth
death angel
iced earth
circe II circle
dillenger escape plan
soulfly
slipknot
möterhead
morbid angel
fear factory
ill nino

its been good fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #345 of 1,001
abstruse
Looks like you have been to some open air festivals to see that many groups in one month!
tongue.gif

Dimmu Boggir
Cradle of Filth - Did you see these two in club or festival? How was show?

Amazing how many bands 20-30 year old music still kicking on concert circuit:
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Saxon
Alice Cooper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back