Darkest Desires PART IV
Jul 5, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #316 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
EDIT: OK "hard, shrill and compressed" is a little much. It's an ok bright recording. It's the brightness that keeps the volume down a bit.

That explains why I think it sounds fine. I don't get brightness. I mean it doesn't get in becuase I have upper frequency hearing loss.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #317 of 1,001
Quote:

Seriously, I've bitten off more than I can chew!!!

I'm definitely not ordering ANYTHING for awhile.

But that won't stop me from picking something out of the bin of a store. Cause that's not "ordering"!
icon10.gif

Came home with ARCH ENEMY-'Anthems Of Rebellion' (vinyl)
Ohh...do I like this! Liked it right away, loved it by track two 'We Will Rise'.
Angela is sweet.

Also saw and was tempted by vinyl picture discs of:
Sabbath's 1st LP
Mayhem's 'Chimera'
Cradle Of Filth's 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh'
Also tempted by a Venom-'Welcome To Hell' vinyl (not pic/disc).
I don't know about the quality of pic/discs though so didn't get any.

Edit:correction: I think it was Mayhem's 'Grand declaration of War' not 'chimera'.

Jul 7, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #318 of 1,001
Quote:

Came home with ARCH ENEMY-'Anthems Of Rebellion' (vinyl)
Ohh...do I like this! Liked it right away, loved it by track two 'We Will Rise'.
Angela is sweet.

Also saw and was tempted by vinyl picture discs of:
Sabbath's 1st LP
Mayhem's 'Chimera'
Cradle Of Filth's 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh'
Also tempted by a Venom-'Welcome To Hell' vinyl (not pic/disc).

There is a video for that song they play on FUSE Uranium show where Angela is leading a pack of rebels carrying banner, Angela Gassow is very cool and we have been talking about her ever since she debut's in AE "wages of sin" which is even better album with better vocals by Angela. Easily best female death vocal I have heard and gives many men a run for the money

We have already discussed how cool picture vinyl is.......and COF has some of the coolest ever made. Also Black Sabbath 1 looks too cool for words to describe (glad I don't have turntable now, my wallet would be sick)
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #319 of 1,001
On my travels I came across news of the re-release of Dimmu Borgir's 'SPIRITUAL BLACK DIMENSIONS' as well as the re-release of In Flames' 'COLONY' both on July 19th.
They appear to have the same "Deluxe" treatment that my recent EDT had:
- Photogallery
- Lyrics
- Screensaver
- Wallpaper
- Winamp skins
But more importantly there is no mention of remastering, but there is an extra song.
SBD-#10-Masses For The New Messiah
Colony-#12-Man Made God

http://www.nuclearblast.de/index2.php

Also anyone wanna pick anything good for me from page 1 or page 2 from theend's vinyl section?

BORKNAGAR's 'ST' & 'Epic' are tempting.

I'm aware of a connection between Dimmu Borgir & Old Man's Child which interests me but the 'OLD MAN'S CHILD - The Historical VINYL B' 4 LP $60 set is quite a gamble for something I have not heard at all.
eek.gif

"This vinyl box is strictly limited to 2000 numbered copies! OLD MAN'S CHILD The Historical Plague All vinyls packed in noble gatefold sleeves Digitally re-mastered with Direct Metal Mastering Including: Gatefold LP #1: Born Of The Flickering Gatefold LP #2: The Pagan Prosperity Gatefold LP #3: Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion Gatefold LP #4: Revelation 666 - The Curse Of Damnation Gatefold LP #5: In Defiance Of Existence No album of Old Man's Child has ever been released on vinyl in gatefold sleeves before. The band's cult debut album "Born Of The Flickerung" is being released on vinyl for the very first time. Get this monument of finest Norwegian black metal!"

While eBaying myself a 'Wages of Sin' I'm wondering what this Susperia/Satyricon/Dimmu Borgir 'Predominance' is about?

For a laugh see what I picked out of a 2nd hand vinyl bin today.
My fav album when I was 12!!! Tracklist AHAHA

Jul 9, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #320 of 1,001
Quote:

Also anyone wanna pick anything good for me from page 1 or page 2 from theend's vinyl section?

OK, interesting that CDs and Vinyl are about the same price at The End. I would get in no particualr order:

After Forever - Decipher
Bathory - Norland I & II (final album, RIP)
Borknagar s/t
Edge of Sanity - Spectral + Purgatory
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Ragnarock - In Nomine Satanas V (have not heard this, but have CD before and after it which are very good)
My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness
Old Man's Child - Historical Box Set (I have all CDs and they are good)
Setherial - Endtime Divine (picture vinyl!)

NP: CROWN - Crowned in Terror

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #321 of 1,001
Quick question.

Lacuna Coil - Comalies. The only song from that album I have heard is Swamped. I don't much care for that song. It is too slow, and just not my style. I am wondering if all the songs on this album are of similar tempo, or is that the slowest song there? The new music and video store in town has the Ozzfest edition of Comalies, so I have been considering picking it up. If all the music is similar to Swamped, I am not interested.

eyeteeth, Old Mans Child is a great band. I have most of those albums on CD and I like all of them.

Jul 10, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #322 of 1,001
Quote:

1 - Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow & The Spectral Sorrows (very good-must have at least one : 9 out of 10, on my scale)
2 - Katatonia - Viva Emptiness (worth having - "easy" listening - prog. death metal, more prog. than death)
3 - After Forever - Decipher (worth having - "easy" listening - similar to Nigthwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil - but a little more complex IMO)
4 - My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness (although I don't think of it as being as good as their best works-Swans,Angel,The Light...)

Jul 10, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #324 of 1,001
Hey all!
The Crown have a release date for Crowned Unholy.
Here is a tidbit from Metal Blade records Quote:

Here’s some more info about the Crowned Unholy release by THE CROWN – to hit the market on August 10th! Read carefully

As you know by now, Crowned Unholy is a remake of the bands fifth album Crowned In Terror with re-recorded vocal tracks by Johan, re-recorded bass tracks by Magnus, a new version of the intro (originally written by Marko, now programmed by Janne), drum sound digitally enhanced by Janne, and cool synthesizer-spiced parts here and there, all programmed by Janne.

Crowned Unholy will be released with a free bonus DVD entitled THE CROWN INVADES KARLSRUHE. The bonus DVD is a full live show filmed professionally on their last tour when The Crown played Karlsruhe, Germany on the 24th of November 2003. Here you have the track list of that particular show:

1. No Tomorrow
2. Face of destruction/Deep hit of death
3. Deathexplosion
4. World below
5. Deliverance
6. Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
7. Cold is the grave
8. Zombiefied
9. Dream bloody hell / Kill `em all
10. Under the whip
11. Bow to none
12. Total Satan
13. House of Hades / Crowned in terror
14. 1999-Revolution 666

Jul 11, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #325 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
a remake of the bands fifth album Crowned In Terror with re-recorded vocal tracks by Johan, re-recorded bass tracks by Magnus, a new version of the intro (originally written by Marko, now programmed by Janne), drum sound digitally enhanced by Janne, and cool synthesizer-spiced parts here and there, all programmed by Janne

That is an interesting concept. I don't know The Crown but as I liked hearing alternative tracks of favorite songs, I have thought "I wish they would re-record the whole thing again" regarding favorite older CDs. Not re-record just for the improved sound quality but for a different interpretation. I like live off the floor recordings from radio studios (not suck-ass unplugged ones). But somethimes it backfires: Celtic Frost's remake of 'Circle of the tyrants' on the re-issued 'To Mega Therion' is definitely missing something from the original version (I only have an mp3 version of the original).

I take a chance on a re-intepreted 'Blackwater park' or 'beyond the veil' for example.

Jul 11, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #326 of 1,001
The End better have new albums by:
Ancient
Nightwish

in stock this week or I will just purchase them from CD Universe. Steady price increases last few years to $13 per CD has me looking around for altrenative sources.....price for new Ancient only $8.39:
Ancient

NP: Lucifugum - Sortilage of Christianity

Jul 13, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #327 of 1,001
Two inane Opeth questions:

1. How to pronounce "Opeth." I've been saying it with a hard o, ohp-eth, but I'ce been wondering if it should be a soft o, ahp-eth.

2. Just what is the joke about about not wearing an Opeth shirt to an Opeth concert. I remember in a prior Darkest thread that (I think) Dark Angel saying that you don't want to be that guy.

Jul 13, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #328 of 1,001
Arrgh, not another "how to spell" thread. We had a long discussion about how Opeth and Dimmu Borgir should be spelled. You can find it by scrolling a few pages backwards. As a short summary : It's with a hard O.

That second question.. I would like to hear the answer as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #329 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos3
Two inane Opeth questions:
2. Just what is the joke about about not wearing an Opeth shirt to an Opeth concert. I remember in a prior Darkest thread that (I think) Dark Angel saying that you don't want to be that guy.

You can wear a rare or "vintage" Opeth t-shirt to show you have been fan for long time that is OK.....but only a noob would wear new Opeth t-shirt to concert. I think if you are attending an Opeth concert it is assumed you are an Opeth fan, Opeth t-shirt is not going to impress anyone.
tongue.gif

Same thing like going to NY Yankees ball game and wearing NY Yankees ball cap, duhhhhh. People do it all the time, but you don't want to be one of those mindless sheep do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back