Dark Knight FAIL - another CD mastered with excessive gain
Jul 30, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #46 of 80
Quote:
If I were Zimmer, I would be furious at such a thing. The whole excess gain ordeal confuses me across all genres. I just don't see the artists wanting such a thing to happen.

He`s just getting the money man, 
Most of bands don`t care of mastering, louder is better, as most people listen to laptops or ipods with cheap earbuds, 
the sad fact is that even mp3 players and smartphones are becoming audiophile devices, so there`s no need for such compression anyway..

on the other hand a bad master now, would make a remaster sell again..
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #47 of 80
I can almost understand the loudness wars for pop music recordings - when everyone else songs getting radio airtime will be playing a few db's louder (not that that is an acceptable excuse)... But on a film soundtrack? Why do you need a 'hot' master for that?

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #48 of 80
That's why I'm confuzled. Inception sound track had bad clipping DK, DKR..
What has the world come to when even classical music is subject to poor mainstream music practices? :frowning2:

WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE NICE THINGS

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #50 of 80
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Knight-Rises-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B008IGP8LY/ref=sr_1_44?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344357510&sr=1-44

It's getting a vinyl release... Head. Desk.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #51 of 80
No wonder I was hearing so much clipping, I initially thought i did a bad rip.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #52 of 80
To make matters worse, they also brickwalled/clipped the crap out of the 24/192 versions at HD Tracks as well.

Track 3 - Gotham's Reckoning

When the hell is HD Tracks going to wise up and set some standards?

-Ed

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #53 of 80
Quote:
To make matters worse, they also brickwalled/clipped the crap out of the 24/192 versions at HD Tracks as well.

Track 3 - Gotham's Reckoning

When the hell is HD Tracks going to wise up and set some standards?

-Ed

When they decide to hire someone like me....
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #54 of 80
Quote:
When they decide to hire someone like me....
tongue.gif

Quick, somebody hire this guy! 
biggrin.gif

This thread really bums me out.  I wish I could hear all of the three Batman movies' soundtracks (as well as the Inception soundtrack) mastered properly.  I think that'd be something very special.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #55 of 80
Yea I've never liked these dark knight traks with part of the reason being down to the mastering. It's obvious really on this ost- I didn't even bother to open it up on audacity to check but the unclear farty bass is just too obvious when hearing from any decent pair of headphones. Actually theres plenty more others that hans zimmer has produced that get their volume enchanced in this way, but noticably the original sherlock holmes ost (2009) is actually a pretty clear recording I think. I think it hasn't been treated like the others, which is nice.
My most favourite film OST, the insider (awesome movie btw), is pretty clean too.

Funny, I was reading something peculiar on a major UK newspaper website yesterday:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9462448/The-quest-for-higher-quality-digital-music.html

They talk about higher sampling rates giving music more of a dynamic range. Well, for stuff like these ost's whats the point- the base file is a wreck to begin with.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #56 of 80
These travesties always make me wonder how the mastering engineers feel about all this.  By virtue of being mastering engineers in the first place, they almost have to be nerds who would ordinarily take pride in their work.  Unless they're just that incompetent, or unless they're numb to it all by now, they must really be embarrassed to put their names on masters like this and furious at what their bosses are making them do.  I mean, this is the kind of mastering I'd redo just to post a Youtube video, let alone release a highly anticipated film soundtrack to CD.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #57 of 80
Quote:
These travesties always make me wonder how the mastering engineers feel about all this.  By virtue of being mastering engineers in the first place, they almost have to be nerds who would ordinarily take pride in their work.  Unless they're just that incompetent, or unless they're numb to it all by now, they must really be embarrassed to put their names on masters like this and furious at what their bosses are making them do.  I mean, this is the kind of mastering I'd redo just to post a Youtube video, let alone release a highly anticipated film soundtrack to CD.

For the most part, audio engineers take great pride in their work. However, what we want to release is often very different from what the record label or producer wants released. If you want to get paid, you must do what the record label or producer says. Usually that means noise reduction and levels being jacked up.

Some engineers would rather compromise their reputation and work quality for a paycheck than stand up to what is right, let alone even make an attempt at preserving our musical history.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back