Dark Knight FAIL - another CD mastered with excessive gain
Jul 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80
I had pre-ordered Hans Zimmer's The Dark Knight Rises from Amazon, eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Dark Knight FAIL - once again we have a CD that was mastered with excessive gain!  

9 out 15 tracks have heavy clipping.

Now I get to wait (how long?) for a remastered version (if such a thing is ever released, at all.)

I love Hans Zimmer, but this music is literally inaccessible.  Ruined by "loudness," I can't stand to listen to it.

I uploaded the first image (for Track 3) to Amazon's page for this CD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008645YEE/

Mike

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 80
Wow....that sucks!

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 80
Indeed, that really stinks. 

I understand the dynamic compression, even though I hate it... people seem to want every note to be loud regardless of composition or emotion.  But boosting the levels to the point of clipping, seriously!?  Even the cheapest home-audio software pops up a warning when your levels clip in the final mix... surely these "professionals" don't think this is a good thing, to have those annoying popping artifacts galore? 

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 80
Quote:
Indeed, that really stinks. 

I understand the dynamic compression, even though I hate it... people seem to want every note to be loud regardless of composition or emotion.  But boosting the levels to the point of clipping, seriously!?  Even the cheapest home-audio software pops up a warning when your levels clip in the final mix... surely these "professionals" don't think this is a good thing, to have those annoying popping artifacts galore? 

Gain is just raising the volume. This looks like over-compression. I hate compression as it is but when it's classical music....it really pisses me off.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 80
I'll have to listen to my HD Tracks copy tonight for the first time (DLed but no time lately). I'll be pretty disappointed if it's that bad.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 80
Quote:
I'll have to listen to my HD Tracks copy tonight for the first time (DLed but no time lately). I'll be pretty disappointed if it's that bad.

Hey MorbidToaster.

If you could post a screen shot taken from Audacity (freeware) or Sound Forge, of the tail end of Tracks 7 or 13, I would love to compare the HDTracks mastering to the audio CD that I bought at Amazon.  (And it would make a great comparison for anyone else following this thread.)

Even if you don't want to go to the trouble of taking and posting a screenshot, it would be nice if you could at least look at one of these tracks in Audacity or Sound Forge, to make a visual comparison, yourself - beyond just listening for any evidence of clipping.

I could go out and download the whole album from HDTracks for $17.98, but I'd really like to know what I'm buying before I spend any more money on this music.

Thanks!

Mike

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 80
Quote:

Hey MorbidToaster.

If you could post a screen shot taken from Audacity (freeware) or Sound Forge, of the tail end of Tracks 7 or 13, I would love to compare the HDTracks mastering to the audio CD that I bought at Amazon.  (And it would make a great comparison for anyone else following this thread.)

Even if you don't want to go to the trouble of taking and posting a screenshot, it would be nice if you could at least look at one of these tracks in Audacity or Sound Forge, to make a visual comparison, yourself - beyond just listening for any evidence of clipping.

I could go out and download the whole album from HDTracks for $17.98, but I'd really like to know what I'm buying before I spend any more money on this music.

Thanks!

Mike

I'll do that as well.....stay tuned....
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 80
This just in, my HD Tracks...tracks have clipping. Just as obvious as your CD. Unfortunate...

Wonder if I can get a refund... :wink:

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 80
I don't understand this at all.. Sure, I could see some mainstream pop music being gained to hell and back, but Hans Zimmer????????? waaaatttttt whyyyyyy?????? :frowning2:

EDIT - Here's a FLAC of Time off the Inception OST. I always thought it had noticeable clipping. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back