Dared MP5 vs. LD MkIII for K701
Jun 4, 2010 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, another K701 amping thread. I went through the search function but didn't really get the information I needed. Anyway, I'm looking to spend around $200 and want an amp that matches well with my K701.

I'm basically looking for something that plays to one of the K701's main strengths: soundstage. Want me an amp that helps increase soundstage further. I'm also looking more for a tube amp instead of a solid state, since I'm quite happy with my Marantz SS. 

I'm looking at either the LD MkIII or the Dared MP5. I'm kind of leaning towards the MkIII but it's harder for me to acquire, whereas the MP5 is available to me locally and at a very good price (around $170 or so -- MkIII will probably set me $200+ without even looking at shipping).

Will either of these give me the soundstage I need? Which is better at this? I will tube roll eventually but out of the box how are they? I also prefer bassy and I heard the MP5 is a rather bassy amp.

And if you can suggest any other nice amps to get around this price point do let me know. Something that is wide and airy and bassy, preferably tubey but if it's a good SS recommend keep it coming.

Thanks

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 14
I like Little Dot, but it sounds like a great deal on the MP5. If you want some versatility, I thought the the Maverick D1 DAC/amp pairs well with the K701s. It's got a tube hybrid preamp, but the headphone part is SS. Is the MP5 the US-only version?

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
SS or hybrid imho. I would stay away from lower end/priced OTL tube amps for the k701.

Yeah I can relate, I had a LD MkII which kind of disappointed me in this regard. Was hoping the MkIII would be better... isn't it?

Quote:
I like Little Dot, but it sounds like a great deal on the MP5. If you want some versatility, I thought the the Maverick D1 DAC/amp pairs well with the K701s. It's got a tube hybrid preamp, but the headphone part is SS. Is the MP5 the US-only version?

Likely going to get the Asian version. I'd like to check out the Maverick D1, will probably not get to see it. I'm thinking I should go for the MP5 then.

Can someone tell me about the sound characteristics of the MP5?

The stuff I gleaned about it in the other thread is that it has a spacious sound and enriches the mids to open up the soundstage.... is this right? And how is the MkIII in comparison?

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 14
The reason I asked is that the 6 Moons review I linked to seems to imply that the US version had upgraded components, so there may be a difference in SQ between it and the Asian version; maybe you should see if the retail price is the same and take that into account, good luck!

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 14
As I recall the US version costs like $500 or so the Asian is like $200. Well regardless I doubt I can find a US version readily available, and hey I wouldn't want something that's 110 Volts anyway, I prefer 220 Volts. we just don't have 110 outlets here anymore.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 14
BTW one more question, does the MP5 have RCA line in? I forget.

Anyway I'm meeting someone who has a "US Version" MP5 tomorrow, selling for a little more than my quoted $170, about $190, which I think is good enough. I will give it a listen myself and decide if I want to spend more on it or not. :)

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
BTW one more question, does the MP5 have RCA line in? I forget.

Anyway I'm meeting someone who has a "US Version" MP5 tomorrow, selling for a little more than my quoted $170, about $190, which I think is good enough. I will give it a listen myself and decide if I want to spend more on it or not. :)

Sound like a heck of a deal; although I've never heard either one, the comparison would be interesting IMO
L3000.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, it's a good deal for sure, when you consider the US version Mp5 was retailing here for like $300 to $500 at one point based on the reading I've done in the MP5 thread. This one I'm getting has a volt switch for 110 to 220, so it probably is an international version not the US version, but it's refitted with the US version innards and that's good enough I guess. Oh I did some re-research it does have RCA line in. Hehe.

Well I'm getting it tomorrow, sorry wallet.

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 14
That 6 Moons review quoted the US version at $559 I believe.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 14
I got a chance to listen to the K701 through a WA22 with the upgraded power 7236 tubes in balanced mode for a bit, and I must say that I like the K701 a lot more now; I really have a whole new level of respect for them. They are very difficult to drive to their full potential, but very rewarding when you do. I'm not sure if these amps are really up to it!

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Yeah I can relate, I had a LD MkII which kind of disappointed me in this regard. Was hoping the MkIII would be better... isn't it?

Likely going to get the Asian version. I'd like to check out the Maverick D1, will probably not get to see it. I'm thinking I should go for the MP5 then.

Can someone tell me about the sound characteristics of the MP5?

The stuff I gleaned about it in the other thread is that it has a spacious sound and enriches the mids to open up the soundstage.... is this right? And how is the MkIII in comparison?

Ok MP-5 is just a marketing code. They branded the same thing as Fatman, Deard, HCT (what I got), or there is an other one I don't recall.

I got mine for $199 at Military store, that comes with amp, ipod dock, and speakers. of course the with gloves too.

The amp, soundstage wise is NOT what are you looking for. They are just good all around mid grade (the most) amp. Warm and musical without doing anything exceptional. Very fun to watch the EL84 cat eye tube jump up and down, the best feature of the amp. Also the ability to drive speakers

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #13 of 14
Mochan, I suggest that you save some more money and get the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8. K701 + X-Can V8 is a match made in heaven.
biggrin.gif

X-Can V8 is available in our country. The distributor is Designers Collection Marketing, near Ali Mall, Quezon City.
Your ears will be happy with this combo: K701+X-Can V8.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Is the V8 your secret surprise down there Valiente? Hahha. How much is the V8 locally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back