Dared MP-5 Headphone & Integrated Amp with USB DAC
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #376 of 410
I seems to have gone out of production. Can anyone confirm this?

I would realy like one, but i cant seem to find em anywere
frown.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #377 of 410
Hi everyone please forgive me as i'm a bit of novice. I've just purchased a Dared MP-5 from Japan ebay. It works fine when i connect it to the line in. When i connect my Mac to the usb port on front everything is good for about 1 min then the music cuts out and i get static. My speakers are b&w blueroom. Do i need to change speakers. Is there such a thing as an instruction manual for the Dared. Thanks Steven

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #378 of 410
I'm going to be hooking up the Dared to some bookshelves and a DVD player tonight or tomorrow. Do I just connect everything and turn it on? I'm a noob and don't want to damage anything.

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #379 of 410
That's what I do, just connect everything and then turn it on.

smily_headphones1.gif

To be safe, start with the dvd player off and the volume of the Dared at zero. Don't play a dvd until after a few minutes while the tubes heat up. Play the dvd, then start cranking the volume up on the Dared little by little.

I always turn my volume knob down before turning it off as well.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #381 of 410
Im having trouble finding out exactly whether or not the Dared MP-5 is Hybrid class on the headphone output.

I know the speaker output is hybrid, but is the Philips TDA7265 chip in the audio path of the headphone output?

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #382 of 410
Luke: yes, the speaker and headphone output use exactly the same amplification stages.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #383 of 410
The potentiometer of my Dared is very noisy on the right channel (only audible during rotation). Has anyone tried to fix or replace it for the same reason?
There's not much space in there. I'd like to fit something real good like the CP601 potentiometer on Potentiometer, Kohle, Leitplastik but something equal to the original without the noise would already be great. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #384 of 410
Hey ariel123,

I have the exact same problem with that noise in the right channel when I turn the volume up or down with my Dared MP-5. I bought it almost 1 year ago. I wonder if it is just oxidation or something wrong with my right channel tube. I think if it were oxidation it should most likely be noisy on both channels, and I kind of noticed that the noise tends to disappear after the tubes have been warm and in use for a while. Let me know if you found out where the problem comes from. Else I'm delighted with the Dared PM-5, I have just bought a pair of Grado SR 125 for it and they sound pretty good on it, but of course not as good as my Klipsch RB-51 in my living room.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #385 of 410
i own a clone.
No Brand indicated.
it's look like a MP5 or Fattman.
Do you know it ?
I have purchased it with an ipod dock station and speakers.
White gloves-Speakers cables included.
It seems to be the same, without the USB integarted dac.
Sound really great.
Warm and details.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #386 of 410
lionel72: thanks for saving me from a useless potentiometer change. Indeed, the noises are a lot less when the unit is warm! I tried changing left and right tubes, but that didn't help: still, most noises on volume change are still in the right channel, but some in the left are added as well. So it may well not be the pot, but something in the preamp stage that does react to the temperature of the tubes. I use NOS Siemens Halske ECC85 tubes. Guess I should look for the original tubes and check if these have the problem too.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #387 of 410
Oh man, this looks like such a cool entry level tube amp/dac combo.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #388 of 410
Hi arie123,
Although the noise seems less loud after some warming time, I still wonder if it could come from oxidation in the potentiometer after all. I tried to turn the volume while applying a certain amount of pressure on the nob and the cracking noise seems to be less present while doing this. I have the original chinese tubes.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #389 of 410
I have finally switched my right and left channel tubes and the noise has indeed moved from the right channel to the left channel which indicates in my case that the problem does come from my tube. When the noise will become really a pain in the neck I'll upgrade to better tubes, so far it's still not too annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back