Dared MP-5 Headphone & Integrated Amp with USB DAC
Sep 8, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #316 of 410
Just got my amp from audiolineout, I love it. Great sound lots of seperation. It's solid and beautiful. Love the little touches like the white gloves, cables and the little brush for dust. I only had about 20 minutes to listen after setup had to run out. I used it with the usb dac which installed it self in like a minute. Started up foobar with some Jack Johnson and John Mayer. Ok first I noticed is lots of detail and soundstage through my crapy bookshelves and even more through my ATH-900LTD
biggrin.gif
Bass however seems to be... well just not right. This could be EQ since I had one setup through the reciever. I'll play with more. DAC wise its tons better than the soundcard on my motherboard but its thin. I will probably look into a emu card or that new X-purity card. Will post more later when I get back home.

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #317 of 410
Not much activity recently so I just wanted to revive it a bit
600smile.gif

A tube amp smiley would be nice
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I replaced my hd580 by the hd650 with blue dragon v2. Althought the reutrn on investment is not that hude, to my ears, I am happy I did it. Fluidity and liquid are the words that come to my mind.

I am going back to France in 02/2007 after a 5 years stay in US, and I decided to go back with the dared mp5, I will get a power converter to have it work there (I have the US version).

I tried the sa5000 i nthis setup, was a big fan at the beginning, some scelsi quartets were amazin, some organ as well. But then after several days, I was going back more and more to my hd580, so I sold them to somebody who would enjoy them and got the hd650 from Kim (plainsong).

A happy camper !
Lionel

dared.jpg

Sep 21, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #318 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
How about the B&W CM1?
CM1_detail_one_large.jpg

Well, I'll be gosh-didilly-darned ... I bought an MP-5 from Insom the other day, planning to use it for headphones and DAP duties. Well, I'm listening to Laurie Anderson's Strange Angels on my ER4s powered by the MP5 because it's past two am. But I tried hooking up my CM2s to it the other day, and now I can't get enough. Any of the low power shyness the CM2 displays is gone. The Dared has opened them up. That's all I've got. I'm still making the transition from tin-eared gearhead to true audiophile, so my descriptive powers lack. But damn. I'm can't believe this squirrel-powered amp is driving my CM2s (along with powered sub) better than my AX570.

Andy

Ps: Isn't the CM series a damned fine looking speaker:wink:?

Sep 22, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #319 of 410
So... I can assume there is no noise / hum / hiss with the 110 volt US version of the Dared MP5 once the tubes have been upgraded???

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #320 of 410
I've experienced high and low levels of background hiss and hum using different power cords with the Dared MP-5. The Zu Birth produces a higher level of hiss, while an ASR Audio power cord has less.

A variable-volume source such as the Lavry DA10 yielded the best results. A fixed-volume source may make the the MP-5 too loud and the volume control range too narrow.

Using my non-US version MP-5 with 2x Mullard ECC82 and ASR power cord; Lavry DA10 source set at 20...

No hiss:
K1000

Very slight hiss, not obvious if environment is not quiet:
K701

Slight hiss:
HD650, DT880-'03

Some hiss/hum:
RS-1, HF-1, HHF-1, MS2i, SA5000

Loud hiss/hum:
AD2000, W5000, W2002, L3000, ES7

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #321 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I've experienced high and low levels of background hiss and hum using different power cords with the Dared MP-5. The Zu Birth produces a higher level of hiss, while an ASR Audio power cord has less.

A variable-volume source such as the Lavry DA10 yielded the best results. A fixed-volume source may make the the MP-5 too loud and the volume control range too narrow.

Using my non-US version MP-5 with 2x Mullard ECC82 and ASR power cord; Lavry DA10 source set at 20...

No hiss:
K1000

Very slight hiss, not obvious if environment is not quiet:
K701

Slight hiss:
HD650, DT880-'03

Some hiss/hum:
RS-1, HF-1, HHF-1, MS2i, SA5000

Loud hiss/hum:
AD2000, W5000, W2002, L3000, ES7

So then... no combination of, or particular set of tubes, or power cable, or CDP, or DAC eliminated the noise - correct?

I would not be using the DAC circuit of the Dared - I'd be using it only as an amp with my other CDP, or DAC.

And... oh yes... I guess your's is the "non-US" version, but is yours the 110 volt version... or the 220 volt version?

Perhaps my question should be... is there any noise with the "110 volt US version" with the right tubes and PC?

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #322 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
So... I can assume there is no noise / hum / hiss with the 110 volt US version of the Dared MP5 once the tubes have been upgraded???

No, you can not assume that. Some of them have the problem and some do not, it's luck of the draw.

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #323 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
No, you can not assume that. Some of them have the problem and some do not, it's luck of the draw.

Thanks for the warning...

I contacted all the current vendors of the Dared MP-5 and they all confirmed that the MP-5 does have some noise, hiss, hum in the output, that can not likely be eliminated... and, they all confirmed that the neither the distributors, nor the manufacturer would honor the warranty for noise, hiss and hum.

So... "a word to the wise" for those out there that might, otherwise consider buying the Dared MP-5 - buy it for it's appearance... and not it's sound quality, unless you don't mind noise, hiss, and hum in the output... because there is a very high probability that your unit will have it, whether the "non-US, or US version." Perhaps, you can minimize it with the right tube selection, or headphone selection, but, if you must have a totally dead silent background... better pass on the Dared MP-5.

And... that's "straight from all the horses' mouths."

Sep 22, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #324 of 410
Quote:

And... that's "straight from all the horses' mouths."

Yeah, I had a similar conversation with them once upon a time, they basically came to the conclusion that they didn't properly modify the circuit enough to eliminate noise in high-efficiency headphones. They were basically admitting that they were too used to designing for speakers, and said they would redesign it in a future version (hopefully there is a future version).

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #325 of 410
When I bought this amp it was going to be for my desk, headphone use first and speaker use second. After reading what a great speaker amp it is I bought a pair of Boston Acoustics CR57. I found them to be completely lacking bass and lifeless with no soundstage. Discouraged, I asked, in this thread, what speakers you all were using. Of course I got some great replies and suddenly I had some awesome choices. After researching, I decided to go with a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 20v3. Thanks Rocktboy! I hooked them up on my desk and that lasted for about 10 minutes. Way too close to each other and to me, but they sounded good so I moved them out into the room which is L shaped about 20x17. After about 9' of the 17' it juts out 8' to form the L. The floor is carpeted with a couch in the middle of the room about 5' from the back wall. I had not bought stands for them yet and had them sitting on wooden chairs. That was MUCH better! The bass was plentiful and soundstage was HUGE. And the volume.. I could not believe how much I was getting from 13 watts. The soundstage was wide and deep with pinpoint imaging. With the speakers not broken in yet and the amp so far only hooked up to an iPod, I knew this amp had great potential. I then hooked it up to a Pioneer Elite DVD player and this amp really opened up. It's an older player with a great DAC but no bass management at all. Time to get stands because I already knew the amp had graduated from desk status to room status. After mounting them on stands I was blown away by how much better the soundstage became. Voices and instruments were squarely placed in their proper spaces in the room with no smearing. These speakers are bookshelf monitors that sound like they have the soundstage of floorstanders. Fine tuning the speaker placement was easy and precise because of the accuracy of the soundstage, proving that this amp images very well. And the sound. Lush, accurate, dynamic, open detailed textures, great layering and very clean. The speakers are very neutral and voices sound very real. My amp is one the clean ones. I could only hear noise through my Ety ER4 P/S with the volume at around 2 o'clock, way too loud for headphones. Out of my speakers I get nothing. It was time to pick up a new player with bass management. I bought a Denon 1930ci universal player and plugged in an old Klipsch powered sub. Much better DAC and the sub is a welcome addition rounding out the bottom. A sub is needed in a room this size, as I originally placed the speakers in the corners, which helpled with the bass but at the expense of some mid range detail loss. I moved the speakers to about five feet from the side walls and about two feet from the back wall for added depth in the rear. I noticed that I was hearing some resonance from the stands so I filled them with sand to deaden them. Wow that really helped the Paradigms to dissappear. I highly recommend doing that. Lastly, I bi-wired the speakers. HUGE improvement with clarity, openess and solidity of bass. Much cleaner too. There was certain SACDs that I thought sounded kind of harsh, especially in the midrange of electric guitars, until I bi-wired the Paradigms. Not so anymore! That harshness is completly gone. I can't get over the improvement. Bi-wiring is a must. Man this amp sounds good. I bought it from Ken at audiolineout for $330.00. What a great deal! But I'm not done yet. I need a good set of RCAs. Right now I only have a set of Monsters. I'm going to email Ken to see what he thinks about making me up a set of cotton RCAs. The only thing holding me up is, until I get a stereo stand, I won't know how long the cables need to be. I'm also going to upgrade the Denon to what, I don't know yet, mainly for better bass management. Any suggestions would be most welcome. And lastly, I'm going to by a Paradigm sub as the Klipsch does not blend in well with the speakers. I originally purchased this amp for headphone use but ended building a speaker system around it. Is it worth it? Yes, the amp is that good. What a pleasant surprise! I still can't get over how much volume 13 watts in a room this size gives me. This amp is clean and very dynamic with sonic characteristics that don't change even when played very loud. The Paradigms are a great match for this amp. I'm not using any bass or treble controls, nor do I ever feel the need to. I think I'm becoming a purist and I like it. That's how good this amp sounds to my ears. HUGE open and detailed soundstage with pinpoint accuracy. Lush and neutral timbres across the entire frequency range. Highly recommended. Thanks to everyone for there great speaker suggestions.

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #327 of 410
If anyone in western Canada wants to check out a version of the Dared-MP5 amp, London Drugs is selling a model called the "VUUM Audio VTi-B1." From a quick glance at the tubes it uses (6N1) it looks like this amp is based on non-US version. Also, while the Vuum unit doesn't have the USB DAC the Dared MP-5 had, it does come with speakers and an iPod dock. It is a very cool amp to see in person so if you live near a London Drugs run in and have a look.

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #329 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Today I listened to a Dared MP5, and I could not detect any noise of any kind. It sounds very nice with deep bass and clear highs, at $350 it seems like a good deal.

Did you hear it at a dealer? If so, do you have the link you could provide?

How did it compare to your various XCAN's, CanAmp, and Ear+ HD?

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #330 of 410
Quote:

Did you hear it at a dealer? If so, do you have the link you could provide?

How did it compare to your various XCAN's, CanAmp, and Ear+ HD?

The unit I listened to belongs to Vorlon1. We had three home amps available: Dared MP-5, Heed CanAmp, and an un-modded X-Can V2. Amogst the three home amps we had my order of preference starting with the best would be: Heed CanAmp, Dared MP-5, and finally the un-modded X-Can V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back