Dare to DAP?
Feb 2, 2019 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ryno3

New Head-Fier
Alright so I am new to head-fi as well as high end audio in general. I recently purchased the sony mdr-z7m2 headphones which sound great when connected to my oppo ha-2se dac/amp. However I am really looking at a good dap such as the sony wm1a because I want the portability of a single device. I'm just not sure how the sound quality as well as loudness would be if I ran my headphones on solely the wm1a, with no external dac/amp, whether I have them balanced or unbalanced.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 5
From what I'm finding the the dap says "Balanced standard-jack: 250mW+250mW , Stereo mini-jack: 60mW+60mW"
For the headphones - 56 ohms at 1 kHz, 98 dB/mW

So the regular jack is capable of driving them to like 121-ish dB, and the balanced jack is capable of driving them to like 125-ish dB, both being too loud for normal listening and capable of causing hearing loss. So I think you're good with volume.

Equation: SPL = (decibels SPL per 1 mW) + 10*log10(power in mW)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 5
I don’t have nor have heard the MK2; though I do own and love both the Z1R and Z7 MK1 headphones. I use them with the 1A.

It’s absolutely powerful enough for them. Though I’ve never heard the combo your curious about I’m fairly certain it will be way powerful enough.

An added improvement will be getting the Sony MUC-B20SB1......as in my uses the cable has created big difference in use.

Obviously getting a desktop would get you slighly more power in some cases. The extra power will be primarily noted in the damping factor bass detail improvements. Still the headphones from the 1A will have plenty of bass and do not seem underpowered in any way shape or form.

I never recommend additions I have not heard, but I don’t think the MK2 is going to be different to drive. Damping factor adds bass detail and maybe one decibel of added bass? The damping factor from a desktop may seem to slighly add soundstage and bass texture. At least those are the differences I get going from the 1A to the Sony TA desktop using the Z7.

The 1A is amazing. Great detail, battery life and power. It’s truly an audiophile value. You will love it!

To simplify; you will not be able to go full volume in high gain mode, it will be way too loud....and there will be zero noticeable distortion at near full volume. That’s how much power the 1A has!
Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back