DAP Suggestions
Jan 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Wash

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new DAP. I have a 160gb ipod classic right now, I also have alot of lossless files. My ipod won't play them, which I dislike because I listen to most of my music through my ipod. I looked into rockbox, and it seems that it won't run on my ipod due to firmware problems or something. 

I'm looking for a DAP that is/has:
-High sound quality
-Ability to play .flac, .ogg, etc lossless files
-a lot of space, I like carrying around my library with me, which is about 50gb right now, and ever expanding.

Price isnt a big problem, I would prefer it cheaper, but if it costs alot, so be it.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 18
How bout an amp recommendation with the J3?

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 18
if you need up to 64 gb then go for the j3...but you say you have a lot of lossless files than 64 gb won't cover it.  in that case go for the x7, it is a battery and space monster.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 18
How's the sound on the X7 and do you have it amped?

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 18
FiiO have a new DAP, the X3, coming in March. I can't say how much it'll cost but it's feature-packed and knowing FiiO's usual price to performance ratio it probably sounds very good for not much money.

Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528916/

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 18
No Onboard memory with the FiiO.. so you will have to fork out the extra for 2 x 32gig memory cards. The only viable options would be the J3 and D3 with Extra Memory or a large capacity Ipod.

Quote:
FiiO have a new DAP, the X3, coming in March. I can't say how much it'll cost but it's feature-packed and knowing FiiO's usual price to performance ratio it probably sounds very good for not much money.

Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528916/

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 18
Cowon D3 had horrible reviews.

Anyone answer the question about a good amp that has good synergy with the either the X7 or J3?

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Why do you need an amp for either of those..?? You dont.. Waste of money. No Lineout...

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Good point ... and from what everyone says the sound is good coming from these puppies. I wonder how they stack up against say an iMod with an amp? Is there much of a difference?

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 18
Grab one :wink: The J3 or X7 look like good options!! But you definitely dont need an amp.. You could be doing a step backwards coming from your iMod. I would personally try and borrow one or goto a store and trial one if possible.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 18
I sold my iMod rig because I realized that with my commute time on the Tokyo trains I need a combo music and video player. The iMod of course only plays music and had to bring my archos 5 for vids ... too much gadgetry so the X7 or J3 seems like a nice alternative as they play both music and vids and to top it off plays FLAC files. I think with my custom IEMs (JH13s and Rooth 8 drivers) I think I can get a pretty decent sound out of the player. It may be a sacrifice from the iMod, but it's one rig. 

I will go to one of the many stores in Tokyo and check out them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back