DAP setup best matched with M50
Jan 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #17 of 50
I sit corrected! They do offer demos at Long and McQuades. Not sure what happened with Bay Bloor :frowning2:

That's great. Demoing experience is definitely a plus :)

Even if they don't have the specific headphones you are considering, try the others and take notes. If you can tell people here what you do or don't like about some of the different headphones you try, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #19 of 50
That's great. Demoing experience is definitely a plus :)

Even if they don't have the specific headphones you are considering, try the others and take notes. If you can tell people here what you do or don't like about some of the different headphones you try, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

YES! DIRECTION!

I'm going to go tonight after work. Gonna try them all! Going in with an Ash Ketchum mentality

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #20 of 50
If possible, try to listen to some headphones that are also available on Sonic Sense. I think that might help you understand whether Sonic Sense is actually a worthwhile tool (which I suspect it is not).

I look at it this way. Let's say my current headphones have no low-end bass. They fall off a cliff at 200 Hz. I then use these headphones to listen to a very bassy headphone on Sonic Sense. How, exactly, is Sonic Sense going to magically add bass to my bass-less headphones to let me hear the boom cannons as they really sound??

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #21 of 50
I went to the Sonic Sense website and went to their resource center to hear the different headphones. One thing I learned while listening was between the M40X and the M50X. I actually really liked the M40Xs more. I felt like everytime I switched from the M50X to the M40X, the sounds just boomed and the vocals and mids came forward instead of hiding behind the bass in the M50X. I was reading online that the M40X is a more neutral sounding headphone relative to what @cel4145 about the M50X being more V shaped. This makes me think that I value the mids more.

I think in terms of percentages, I have a lot more folk and indie rock kind of stuff in my library and more guides I'm reading say mids need to come out for those. Also reading open is better than closed for those genres but I can't since I want to use these on the subway.

Do you guys have any suggestions about what headphones are the next step up from the M40X? Since you guys agree putting more change into the headphones would be of more value to me. Or maybe I should bank the extra change and use it towards the next pair of headphones?

I also heard the Sonic Sense recordings and had the same experience as you. Listening on YouTube, the M40x was indistinguishable from the recording. ...Except I actually owned the M40x...and it sounded unacceptably bad. I sent it in to be examined for defects, but nothing was wrong with it, so I returned it. Many people think the M50x is much better than the M40x. And for the record, I don't think the M40x is that neutral at all.

Are you sure you can't return headphones you don't like?!
eek.gif

(If so, is selling used headphones also not allowed?!?!)

For these suggestions, what is your total budget right now? Would you still need to at least get the X1 (or another DAP) in addition to the headphones?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #22 of 50
If possible, try to listen to some headphones that are also available on Sonic Sense. I think that might help you understand whether Sonic Sense is actually a worthwhile tool (which I suspect it is not).

I look at it this way. Let's say my current headphones have no low-end bass. They fall off a cliff at 200 Hz. I then use these headphones to listen to a very bassy headphone on Sonic Sense. How, exactly, is Sonic Sense going to magically add bass to my bass-less headphones to let me hear the boom cannons as they really sound??

According to my graphing calculator, your math checks out. So what you're saying is... go to the store, grab a pair of headphones, log onto Sonic sense and try those specific headphones in the resources center to make sure they have the matching range (jokinggggg hehe)

I also heard the Sonic Sense recordings and had the same experience as you. Listening on YouTube, the M40x was indistinguishable from the recording. ...Except I actually owned the M40x...and it sounded unacceptably bad. I sent it in to be examined for defects, but nothing was wrong with it, so I returned it. Many people think the M50x is much better than the M40x. And for the record, I don't think the M40x is that neutral at all.

Are you sure you can't return headphones you don't like?! :eek:

(If so, is selling used headphones also not allowed?!?!)

For these suggestions, what is your total budget right now? Would you still need to at least get the X1 (or another DAP) in addition to the headphones?

Well, I've already received information from 2 store saying that once opened or if unsealed, there is no going back. It's not like I can reset my gameboy and repick my starting Pokemon. It's so very final :frowning2:. I'm going to keep checking the policy with other stores (Bay Bloor, Long and McQuades) and hope they have a reset button.

As of right now, the plan is getting an X1 and putting in between $100-200 for a nice pair of headphones. If I can level my dealbuster skills up, I'm hoping I can get a high tier pair of headphones for a reasonable 99% off. As long as it fall in my $100-200

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #23 of 50
According to my graphing calculator, your math checks out. So what you're saying is... go to the store, grab a pair of headphones, log onto Sonic sense and try those specific headphones in the resources center to make sure they have the matching range (jokinggggg hehe)
Well, I've already received information from 2 store saying that once opened or if unsealed, there is no going back. It's not like I can reset my gameboy and repick my starting Pokemon. It's so very final
frown.gif
. I'm going to keep checking the policy with other stores (Bay Bloor, Long and McQuades) and hope they have a reset button.

As of right now, the plan is getting an X1 and putting in between $100-200 for a nice pair of headphones. If I can level my dealbuster skills up, I'm hoping I can get a high tier pair of headphones for a reasonable 99% off. As long as it fall in my $100-200

What about Amazon? That should give you a 30 day or even 60 day return policy. Many of the sellers even cover return shipping.

lol @ all the Pokémon references. I was discussing Pokémon cards with my brother the other day.

99% off? In what galaxy would you find that deal? hehe

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #24 of 50
What about Amazon? That should give you a 30 day or even 60 day return policy. Many of the sellers even cover return shipping.

lol @ all the Pokémon references. I was discussing Pokémon cards with my brother the other day.

99% off? In what galaxy would you find that deal? hehe

I just sent out an email to Amazon.ca to see what their return policy was for headphones. Hopefully they say I can keep them and they'll give me my money back.

We lived in a golden age, my friend. It was a time when Pokemon was served to us in colors. I still to this day reminisce about opening up those booster packs, hoping that I would find that elusive holographic Charizard.

It's a beautiful and wonderous galaxy my friend. Come to the other side.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #25 of 50
"Hello from Amazon.ca.

I understand your concern that you wish to know about return policy for over-the-ear headphones.

You can return most new, opened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.ca within 30 days of delivery for a full refund.

If you decide to order the item from our site and find that, upon delivery, the item's packaging indicates that it is not what you expected, if you're not satisfied with product or is contrary to the information listed on our site, you may return it for a full refund."

Wootwoot. Wootwoot

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 50
"Hello from Amazon.ca.

I understand your concern that you wish to know about return policy for over-the-ear headphones.

You can return most new, opened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.ca within 30 days of delivery for a full refund.

If you decide to order the item from our site and find that, upon delivery, the item's packaging indicates that it is not what you expected, if you're not satisfied with product or is contrary to the information listed on our site, you may return it for a full refund."

Wootwoot. Wootwoot

There you go :dt880smile:

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 50
"Hello from Amazon.ca.

Wootwoot. Wootwoot

Headphone shopping extravaganza! Now you have more home audition options without the risk.

If you get the M50x, be sure to let me know what you think, since I may get it soon as well.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #30 of 50
OK!  So I have been to the stores and tried out a few headphones.  Unfortunately, the salesman at one store really didn't care and was basically rushing me to either make a purchase or get out.  

So per @cel4145 's suggestion, I took some notes and will present to you my findings, Professor Oak.  Please bear with me as I don't have the audiophile lingo down yet.  

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
  1. Bassier relative to regular Momentum
  2. lackluster sound when listening to "Katachi - Shugo Tokumaru" which is like indie folk/pop

Sennheiser Momentum
  1. Clearer for smaller details; it was nice being able to hear those extra sounds more clearly

Bowers & Wilkins P7
  1. Cleaner bass sound relative to the Momentums
  2. treble could feel a little uncomfortable at times; to sharp

AKG K99
  1. Good sound
  2. Like the mix of sounds but the bass seem to lag a bit (?) felt like a struggle at times.  Might have just been the song ("Oblivion - Grimes")
  3. Vocals felt hidden behind instruments in "Seasons - Future Islands"

M50X
  1. Really nice listening to these with "So What Now - The Shins"
  2. The voice didn't feel like it was behind the instruments like the K99

M40X vs M50X
  1. I had a pretty tough time differentiating between the 2 which made me feel stupid switching back and forth.  The difference was so much more apparent on that silly Sonic Sense :S
  2. The only thing I think I picked up (which might have been made up by my brain out of desperation to find a difference) was the M50X felt like they had more impact

Sorry I couldn't provide better information.  My ears are so use to the Samsung IEMs that anything sounds great.  It's hard for me to pick out the details.  It's like when Harry Potter first got to Hogwarts; everything is magic at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back