DAP setup best matched with M50
Jan 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #32 of 50
OK!  So I have been to the stores and tried out a few headphones.  Unfortunately, the salesman at one store really didn't care and was basically rushing me to either make a purchase or get out.  

So per @cel4145
 's suggestion, I took some notes and will present to you my findings, Professor Oak.  Please bear with me as I don't have the audiophile lingo down yet.  

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
  • Bassier relative to regular Momentum
  • lackluster sound when listening to "Katachi - Shugo Tokumaru" which is like indie folk/pop

Sennheiser Momentum
  • Clearer for smaller details; it was nice being able to hear those extra sounds more clearly

Bowers & Wilkins P7
  • Cleaner bass sound relative to the Momentums
  • treble could feel a little uncomfortable at times; to sharp

AKG K99
  • Good sound
  • Like the mix of sounds but the bass seem to lag a bit (?) felt like a struggle at times.  Might have just been the song ("Oblivion - Grimes")
  • Vocals felt hidden behind instruments in "Seasons - Future Islands"

M50X
  • Really nice listening to these with "So What Now - The Shins"
  • The voice didn't feel like it was behind the instruments like the K99

M40X vs M50X
  • I had a pretty tough time differentiating between the 2 which made me feel stupid switching back and forth.  The difference was so much more apparent on that silly Sonic Sense :S
  • The only thing I think I picked up (which might have been made up by my brain out of desperation to find a difference) was the M50X felt like they had more impact

Sorry I couldn't provide better information.  My ears are so use to the Samsung IEMs that anything sounds great.  It's hard for me to pick out the details.  It's like when Harry Potter first got to Hogwarts; everything is magic at that point.

I recently went to try an M50x for fun and the first thing i realised are that the earpads are a little bigger and therefore slightly more comfy amd less steamy than my M40x (my ears touch the top, bottom and inside padding of the M40x earpads). Also the sound is abit more spacious and lively than the flatter M40x. All in all the M50x is a great sounding pair of cans. :beyersmile:

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #33 of 50
Do you guys have a suggestion for something like the M50X but with a bigger sound stage? I know you generally don't get that with closed but I'm wondering if you guys can think of any

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #34 of 50
Do you guys have a suggestion for something like the M50X but with a bigger sound stage? I know you generally don't get that with closed but I'm wondering if you guys can think of any

Recently, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 caught my eye. MSRP is $399, but now it's just $150! (I'm not sure if that's permanent or a temporary sale price.) According to my research, it should be significantly better than the M50x and should also have a bigger soundstage. It may be the next headphone I buy. Doesn't have a detachable cable, though.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 50
Recently, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 caught my eye. MSRP is $399, but now it's just $150! (I'm not sure if that's permanent or a temporary sale price.) According to my research, it should be significantly better than the M50x and should also have a bigger soundstage. It may be the next headphone I buy. Doesn't have a detachable cable, though.

He's in Canada, though. Those run a lot more on Amazon.ca. The M50X, on the other hand, are one of the headphones available to him that are discounted significantly off MSRP and close to US pricing.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #36 of 50
He's in Canada, though. Those run a lot more on Amazon.ca. The M50X, on the other hand, are one of the headphones available to him that are discounted significantly off MSRP and close to US pricing.

But there's nothing stopping a Canadian resident from using Amazon USA (etc.), now, is there? =D

I see it for even lower prices on a few other websites!

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #37 of 50
But there's nothing stopping a Canadian resident from using Amazon USA (etc.), now, is there? =D

As has been repeatedly discussed in audio enthusiasts communities, there are complications with doing so. Warranties don't often transfer. Much higher shipping costs, import fees, and other taxes can offset savings. So it's not that simple.

I see it for even lower prices on a few other websites!

You should share it with him, then, if they ship to Canada :)

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #38 of 50
As has been repeatedly discussed in audio enthusiasts communities, there are complications with doing so. Warranties don't often transfer. Much higher shipping costs, import fees, and other taxes can offset savings. So it's not that simple.
You should share it with him, then, if they ship to Canada
smily_headphones1.gif

Fair enough.

@ee-yun I suggest contacting Amazon USA about these issues. Could save you some money that way.

For reference, here are some links I found:

$149.99
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HPH-MT220-monitor-over-ear-headphones/dp/B00B44N0DA
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037615-REG/yamaha_hph_mt220bl_hph_mt120_studio_monitor_headphones.html

$134.97 used + 1 year warranty
http://www.sonicsense.com/yamaha-hph-mt220-black-67368.html

At this time, sonicsense.com only ships to the contiguous 48 USA States.  If you would like to make an order to any other US States or Territories, or if you would like to place an international order, please call us at (303) 753-201 or email support@sonicsense.com.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #39 of 50
B&H:

"Due to export regulations and/or manufacturers restrictions, we are unable to accept orders with a shipping address in CANADA for the following item(s)"

I have not lost hope though!  I have emailed the Amazon of 'murika and Sonic Sense.  I'm trying to find a vendor here that has them so I can get a taste of its delicious sound.

hannibal2-animation.gif

Hello  Clarice

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #40 of 50
  B&H:

"Due to export regulations and/or manufacturers restrictions, we are unable to accept orders with a shipping address in CANADA for the following item(s)"

I have not lost hope though!  I have emailed the Amazon of 'murika and Sonic Sense.  I'm trying to find a vendor here that has them so I can get a taste of its delicious sound.

Hello  Clarice

Nice. Good luck!

Right now, I'm listening to my speakers, because they sound much better than any headphones I have on hand.

(My V-MODAs arrive Monday and a new tested XPT100 arrives the day after, so I shouldn't have to suffer much longer.)

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #41 of 50
Dear Internet Friends,

I am becoming increasingly skeptical with the M50Xs.  All my bases are shifting under me.  My audio world is collapsing all around me.  I'm rethinking the M50Xs and all the Audio Technica headphones to be honest.  

I'm reading about the the Audio Technica's inability to isolate the sound and why should it?  It's a studio headphone for sound magicians to pick and choose every noise in the safety of a quiet haven, free from corrupting sounds.  And here I am trying to put these headphones an environment filled with grinding steel and crying babies.  WHO AM I!?  two-four-six-oh-ONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I fear I'm merely just some pawn, riding the hype train on a decent pair of headphones, used as a symbol against Beats.  But in and of itself the same animal.

Is the sky even blue anymore?

(I've been to drinking and felt fancy with my words)

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #42 of 50
I am becoming increasingly skeptical with the M50Xs.  All my bases are shifting under me.  My audio world is collapsing all around me.  I'm rethinking the M50Xs and all the Audio Technica headphones to be honest.    
I'm reading about the the Audio Technica's inability to isolate the sound and why should it?  It's a studio headphone for sound magicians to pick and choose every noise in the safety of a quiet haven, free from corrupting sounds.  And here I am trying to put these headphones an environment filled with grinding steel and crying babies.  WHO AM I!?  two-four-six-oh-ONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh, I could have told you that. Not very good isolation with those.

(Did you say you needed isolation? I must have missed it.)

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #44 of 50
Dear Internet Friends,

I fear I'm merely just some pawn, riding the hype train on a decent pair of headphones, used as a symbol against Beats.  But in and of itself the same animal.

Is the sky even blue anymore?

(I've been to drinking and felt fancy with my words)
The best headphones, I have used for isolation of noise, has been MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs and Prime's. I have not heard MrSpeakers Mad DOG Pro's, but I assume they isolate good to. Hope you find a set of cans that work well for your needs. Please disregard I didn't know you were on a 200 budget.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #45 of 50
  I'd mostly be using the headphones while on the subway or on the go so it would be swell if they blocked out the sounds of loud crazy people and honking car horns

If you want to block out those sounds as much as possible, the Bose QuietComfort headphones have the best active noise cancelling technology available. (Though it still has limits. Nothing can totally block out everything, which would be dangerous anyway.) They have emphasized bass, which is something you do want in public places like that. For audiophile home listening, it's a bad choice for the price. If you want the best of both worlds, you'll need to compromise. The QC25 is out of your price range. I recently traded away my QC15, but there are many used ones available for much lower than the $300 I paid. If you buy used, there is more risk, so that may not be the best idea either.

Another option is in-ear monitors, which have excellent isolation. If you'd like to research IEMs, start with this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back