DAP/DMP Recommendation.
Jun 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nielo TM

100+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]I am looking to replace my Sansa Clip Zip with a better DAP/DMP in few weeks. T[/size][size=10pt]he Zip is an awesome little player but its soundstage is too narrow for my taste.  Wish I can easily mod the Zip to increase LR separation, but guess that’s not possible. So I just need a player that has wide soundstage, detailed sound and flat frequency response (without major roll-offs). [/size]

[size=10pt]I am willing to forgo MicroSD slot but Folder Browsing is a must.[/size]

[size=10pt]Any help will be greatly [/size]appreciated

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 19
since u r willing to forgo the microSD slot, i'd recommend the Sony Z.

I've been using the Clip Zip as my "reference" player until i got the Sony Z.

The Z has got the power + deeper / wider soundstage compare to the Zip.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 19
I don't think there's anything cheaper than the sansa.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 19
Anything with a large embedded memory will be costly. So I'll suggest you can wait for the rockbox to become stable, it shouldn't take too long.
Also check what do the rockbox devs mean by unstable, if no major issues you can probably try it out.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 19
What about a Cowon J3? Admittedly I don't know the sonic characteristics personally, but many seem to rave about its audio. Not terribly expensive either.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
Sound stage doesn't seem to be its greatest attribute :frowning2:

Actually I'm not sure how much of a difference will it make, even if you do upgrade. Have you considered different headphones/IEMs?
Faster transients usually contribute to better soundstage and separation, so headphones/IEMs can influence this to a major extent.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 19
I use Image S4 and PFE012 and I don't know of any IEM with greater sound stage than 012. There is an obvious difference when using the iPad 3/X-Fi and the Sansa. I'll try the rock box and if no avail, I'll save up for the Sony. I still have my A829 but I don't know the settings to obtain flat frequency response

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 19
Otherwise I saw the RoCoo P & BA in the Sales forum for less than 150£ if you don't mind the monochrome screen. The RoCoo P may hiss with your IEMs though.
I think I saw an SFlo2 as well.

I suggest you go take a look there. A lot of people buying too much gear & wanting or sometimes forced (by their wives) to get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back