DAP Challenge Chart (Including 26 Portable Sources, the BIT Opus 1 added. More to come..)
Sep 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #77 of 165
@gr8soundz The P1 also has usb dac functionality

@proedros There were also people that preferred the P1 over the Z2, while someone else that had both said they were different but equal. Did you keep on following the P1 thread? From what I've gathered the ZX2 has (in comparison) slightly recessed mids, making it maybe better for EDM and rock, while the P1 is better for classical, jazz or just regular band based music. 

Anyways, I've recently become very sensitive to sibilance and it's freakin annoying. I think it's mostly psychological because of you focus your attention more to that frequency but I can't unhear it anymore. I used to never be bothered by it, but now I hear it with all my iems. Playing at lower volumes helps but still.. 

So Mike I was wondering if any of the daps are especially good at reducing sibilance? Or is it just something you're stuck with?

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #78 of 165

Anyways, I've recently become very sensitive to sibilance and it's freakin annoying. I think it's mostly psychological because of you focus your attention more to that frequency but I can't unhear it anymore. I used to never be bothered by it, but now I hear it with all my iems. Playing at lower volumes helps but still.. 

So Mike I was wondering if any of the daps are especially good at reducing sibilance? Or is it just something you're stuck with?

Well, it mostly depends on earphones' upper mids, we can say that HM901 (iem card) HM601, Tera, HM802, QA350 v2, ET MA9 tend to sibilance lesser. Or you can solve sibilance problem with a good cable on custom iems.. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #79 of 165
Yeah I've tried every cable I have but it doesn't really help. It's also present in the stock cables, doesn't really seam to change a lot between silvers, silver/golds or different coppers. Again, its just something that recently came on although not much changed. I used the same iems for months without a problem.

But thanks man, I might consider a 901 just really hesitant about the UI..

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #80 of 165
  Yeah I've tried every cable I have but it doesn't really help. It's also present in the stock cables, doesn't really seam to change a lot between silvers, silver/golds or different coppers. Again, its just something that recently came on although not much changed. I used the same iems for months without a problem.

But thanks man, I might consider a 901 just really hesitant about the UI..

I see mate, I think you need a cable which eliminates sibilance by keeping detail on treble/upper mids on acceptable levels. :)

901 is a ''pure'' audiophile dap with its customization options.. but without a ''fine'' UI :)

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #82 of 165
  Any cable suggestions?

I think a friend said he could get a 901 for a good price in Russia, will think about it :)

plusSound Apollonian+ or SilverFi IEM2 could be good options.. Surely, if you have budget.. They are in 300 USD+ price range.. 

That's cool.. You can try 901 with IEM card before getting an additional cable.. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #83 of 165
  @gr8soundz The P1 also has usb dac functionality

@proedros There were also people that preferred the P1 over the Z2, while someone else that had both said they were different but equal. Did you keep on following the P1 thread? From what I've gathered the ZX2 has (in comparison) slightly recessed mids, making it maybe better for EDM and rock, while the P1 is better for classical, jazz or just regular band based music. 

Thanks for the info.

Been checking several threads including the P1 but the number of DAPs coming out right now is just overwhelming. I already have "too many" and now I'm looking at the P1, ZX100, QP1R, Lotoo 5000, etc. Not to mention Pioneer (and Onkyo) just announced the first MQA compatible DAP:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779839/pioneers-first-dap-the-xdp-100r-announced-in-ifa

Will probably have to sell a player or two if I'm able to get another (just got the AK Jr.) but they all sound great (and different) and all have their positives so it'll be hard to part with them.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #84 of 165

@MikePortnoy Although your charts aren't necessarily in the order of overall best first (think I know why so no problem there), it looks like the 901 balanced might have the best overall ranking and is closest to the Tera Player in areas where the Tera excels.

Thinking the Hifiman's sound quality might make it a good choice for the one, single player I'm looking for. Plus I already have balanced cables that would work with it.

With that in mind, has anyone heard the newer 901S balanced and does it have any audible improvements over the 901?

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #85 of 165
Heard both and the 901s is better.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #86 of 165

Thanks for the info.

Been checking several threads including the P1 but the number of DAPs coming out right now is just overwhelming. I already have "too many" and now I'm looking at the P1, ZX100, QP1R, Lotoo 5000, etc. Not to mention Pioneer (and Onkyo) just announced the first MQA compatible DAP:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779839/pioneers-first-dap-the-xdp-100r-announced-in-ifa

Will probably have to sell a player or two if I'm able to get another (just got the AK Jr.) but they all sound great (and different) and all have their positives so it'll be hard to part with them.

Yeah soo many - you can add Acoustic Research M2 to that list and later on the X7.. I took forever just deciding between the P1 and the ZX2. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #87 of 165
  Yeah soo many - you can add Acoustic Research M2 to that list and later on the X7.. I took forever just deciding between the P1 and the ZX2. 

Does either the P1 or ZX2 have global sound output? Meaning, when using other apps like Pandora or Tidal does the improved sound quality (from hardware) still come through? So many DAPs bypass their improved sound circuitry when the stock music player isn't being used.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #89 of 165

@MikePortnoy Although your charts aren't necessarily in the order of overall best first (think I know why so no problem there), it looks like the 901 balanced might have the best overall ranking and is closest to the Tera Player in areas where the Tera excels.

Thinking the Hifiman's sound quality might make it a good choice for the one, single player I'm looking for. Plus I already have balanced cables that would work with it.

With that in mind, has anyone heard the newer 901S balanced and does it have any audible improvements over the 901?

Well Tera is still one of the best sounding sources on the market. Perhaps Lotoo Paw Gold is better in terms of some technical aspects. As for 901 comparison, Tera has better tonality, midrange and separation indeed, but 901 Balanced is very reasonable in accordance with its price/performance axis.

Please keep in mind, balanced card may load a bit too much low frequency to earphones which have already powerful bass, such as SA-43 and Harmony 8 Pro. On the other hand, it is good with Lear BD4.2 (at the halfway of bass knob)

Quote:

Hopefully will add an Acoustic Research product to the chart, at least will try to add :)

Quote:
  Heard both and the 901s is better.

What is the most significant difference, mate?

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #90 of 165
Had Tera and Lotoo Paw.
The only thing Lotoo does better is that it has more power, authority to drive the headphones.
But the Tera paired with the Koss moded has the best organic natural sound reproduction from all the music players I've heard.
Who thinks that i am wrong i will invite him for a live audition of my gear any time in South London :)
Cheers,
Musicday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back