DAP Challenge Chart (Including 26 Portable Sources, the BIT Opus 1 added. More to come..)
Sep 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #61 of 165

Just found this discussion. Thanks @MikePortnoy for starting this thread.

Great that you've heard so many DAPs and compared them. Can't complain about missing players (with more being requested) since so many are listed and, even if some don't completely agree with all the scores, at least your charts provide some scale. Good to see the Tera Player (which I've yet to hear) still at the top; should be since its the priciest by far.

Got the AK Jr. yesterday. Compared it against my iBasso R10 (DX100) and my Pono (single-ended); A/B'd them using a Fiio HS2 switcher. All of them (and no doubt many other players listed here) sound great so its tough to draw concrete conclusions on which is better and why. I think the AK Jr. sounds incredible. To my ears (so far), it sounds a bit sharper and more detailed on the high end. The R10 still wins in mid-range presence and soundstage. The Pono sounds thicker (fuller) all around but it's true edge is in balanced mode. I had to switch back n forth MANY times to confirm just how good the AK sounds. Not to mention it's smaller size makes it the pound for pound winner of the 3. Paired with my Sony Z7s, the AK made them sing better than even my R10. Got closer to max volume though compared to only about 60% mid-gain volume on the R10.

Looking forward to trying the ZX2, Questyle, and Lotoo 5000 in the future.

Can anyone whose tried the Lotoo 5000 comment on how much better it's 2.5mm balanced output sounds?

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #62 of 165
The ZX2 is interesting, my personal thoughts that I've dropped into the relevant threads are:

Sony ZX2 = mid centric
Acoustic Research M2 = bass centric
Questyle QP1R = treble centric (caveat is that the one I have with me at the moment has beta firmware, so this may change)...

The QP1R has by far and away the best detail retrieval of the three players mentioned...

With the above in mind, it is then about matching the cans to the player (or vice versa).

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #64 of 165
patiently waiting to be added to the list.....

(the one in the middle is the DAP  :) 

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #65 of 165

Just found this discussion. Thanks @MikePortnoy for starting this thread.

Great that you've heard so many DAPs and compared them. Can't complain about missing players (with more being requested) since so many are listed and, even if some don't completely agree with all the scores, at least your charts provide some scale. Good to see the Tera Player (which I've yet to hear) still at the top; should be since its the priciest by far.

Got the AK Jr. yesterday. Compared it against my iBasso R10 (DX100) and my Pono (single-ended); A/B'd them using a Fiio HS2 switcher. All of them (and no doubt many other players listed here) sound great so its tough to draw concrete conclusions on which is better and why. I think the AK Jr. sounds incredible. To my ears (so far), it sounds a bit sharper and more detailed on the high end. The R10 still wins in mid-range presence and soundstage. The Pono sounds thicker (fuller) all around but it's true edge is in balanced mode. I had to switch back n forth MANY times to confirm just how good the AK sounds. Not to mention it's smaller size makes it the pound for pound winner of the 3. Paired with my Sony Z7s, the AK made them sing better than even my R10. Got closer to max volume though compared to only about 60% mid-gain volume on the R10.

Looking forward to trying the ZX2, Questyle, and Lotoo 5000 in the future.

Can anyone whose tried the Lotoo 5000 comment on how much better it's 2.5mm balanced output sounds?

Thank you for your kind words and info about AK Jr. :) How is its separation when compared to others, Pono and R10?

The ZX2 is interesting, my personal thoughts that I've dropped into the relevant threads are:

Sony ZX2 = mid centric
Acoustic Research M2 = bass centric
Questyle QP1R = treble centric (caveat is that the one I have with me at the moment has beta firmware, so this may change)...

The QP1R has by far and away the best detail retrieval of the three players mentioned...

With the above in mind, it is then about matching the cans to the player (or vice versa).

How about QP1R's speed? Treble's notes are fast? 

Agreed with you there Duncan. There is no 1 ultimate player to rule them all. It is about matching and sound preference too.

Good point buddy :)

patiently waiting to be added to the list.....

(the one in the middle is the DAP  :) 

Awesome picture :) I am not sure when I can add it to the list, but I will add Cayin N6 soon. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #66 of 165

Thank you for your kind words and info about AK Jr. :) How is its separation when compared to others, Pono and R10?

Imo, the separation was about equal.

Keep in mind I was using Oppo's PM-3 for the test. They're my personal reference headphone but they don't have the widest soundstage (being closed). However, they are very good for picking out minute details. I kept listening for greater separation but was unable to hear any standout difference there among the players. I did, however, hear a bit better instrument placement coming from the AK Jr. 

I'm still trying out the new AK whereas I've had my R10 for a year and my Pono for 4 months. Other audio differences may surface but I'm already loving the AK with my Z7s. The Z7s were previously best paired to my R10 but now seem better suited to the AK.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #67 of 165
How about QP1R's speed? Treble's notes are fast? 
Blisteringly, transients etc are out of this world compared to any other DAP I've heard up to now - it is quite incredible what companies are starting to squeeze out of what we know as DAPs but, are still (semi realistically) those same 'MP3' players that we started to own 10-15 years ago...

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #68 of 165

Imo, the separation was about equal.

I did, however, hear a bit better instrument placement coming from the AK Jr. 

Cool :) I like AK120 most, among AK's players. Perhaps, its midrange isn't so transparent, but tonality is pretty good. 

Blisteringly, transients etc are out of this world compared to any other DAP I've heard up to now - it is quite incredible what companies are starting to squeeze out of what we know as DAPs but, are still (semi realistically) those same 'MP3' players that we started to own 10-15 years ago...

That's interesting, I hope I have chance to try it and add to the list :)

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #69 of 165
Just read a review of the AK380:
http://www.headfonia.com/review-astell-kern-ak380-momentary/

Reviewer didn't like it's shape, says balanced output was poor, and stated the AK Jr. was his favorite AK player. He also said Cowon's Plenue 1 is possibly "the best-performing DAP out there."

That got my interest so I looked up the Plenue 1 it's sibling model the Plenue M. The 1 has a better internal dac chip while the M appears to usb dac functionality and perhaps better battery life.

Has anyone heard the Plenue 1? If so, any comparisons in sound quality to other DAPs?

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #70 of 165
Not dismissing the claim of the P1 being 'up there' however, I never got on with Cowon (had the D2 and something else that I don't remember) - too much emphasis on BBE etc... tonally off to these ears.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #71 of 165
  Just read a review of the AK380:
http://www.headfonia.com/review-astell-kern-ak380-momentary/

Reviewer didn't like it's shape, says balanced output was poor, and stated the AK Jr. was his favorite AK player. He also said Cowon's Plenue 1 is possibly "the best-performing DAP out there."

That got my interest so I looked up the Plenue 1 it's sibling model the Plenue M. The 1 has a better internal dac chip while the M appears to usb dac functionality and perhaps better battery life.

Has anyone heard the Plenue 1? If so, any comparisons in sound quality to other DAPs?

It seems to be an objective review. Neither do I like its shape. I usually find AK's prices high, even my favorite AK120. However, AK Jr seems to have a reasonable price.  

I haven't heard Plenue series, but some find Plenue M's sound good. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #72 of 165

2-3 people who had both P1 and ZX2 , preferred ZX2 so i decided to go with zx2 as a dx90 upgrade 

finding a used like new zx2 for a terrific price was also a (+)

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #73 of 165

2-3 people who had both P1 and ZX2 , preferred ZX2 so i decided to go with zx2 as a dx90 upgrade 

finding a used like new zx2 for a terrific price was also a (+)

Did you get a Japanese ZX2 or a different version?

I've heard the Japanese version (possibly due to EU law/limitations) doesn't have the same volume limiter.

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #74 of 165

Did you get a Japanese ZX2 or a different version?

I've heard the Japanese version (possibly due to EU law/limitations) doesn't have the same volume limiter.

living in EU and being an iem guy , i went for the EU version buying it used from a european seller here - great price/existing warranty/no shipping taxes made this a no brainer

the jpn is supposedly louder , but like i said i only use iems so no biggie there for me at least

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #75 of 165
Of course i know this thread is all bout daps (and it depend on music taste of everyone). I often try to look for my most suitable iem at first, and then get a dap. But i only take my focus on how well one dap can pair with my iem. Each dap bring to us different fellings.
I am using Tg334 and two daps i think is very suitable to tg334 are ak240 and shanling m3.

Actually, i think the competition of Dap market is going to be harder and harder. AR 02m, Questyle, Shanling, Fiio x7 and a new dap from Pionner and onkyo ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back