Dangers of shipping to uncomfirmed addresses?
Feb 4, 2008 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
Whenever I get a payment from a person using an unconfirmed address, paypal always tells me so. What are the dangers?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 27
like if they send via cc paypal, how do I know that it is in my account? All they say is that the transaction is completed.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like if they send via cc paypal, how do I know that it is in my account? All they say is that the transaction is completed.

It shows that it is in your account, but in the case they call the credit card company for a chargeback after they have gotten your item, you won't be protected by Paypal for the chargeback because you've shipped to an unconfirmed address.

What I would do is take the money out of Paypal. Withdraw the money and make sure you have the cash in hand, then it'll be safe to ship the item. Most people you deal with on this site are good people, but there are some out there to screw you out of your money.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 27
so let's say I clear my paypal account.

Then, I put more "new" money in there. If the people do a chargeback, will they be able to take the "new" money back?

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 27
fact is, most PayPal users outside of the U.S. and Canada cannot have their addresses confirmed, despite providing all the account details that are required.
this is not the fault of the PayPal user, or really even the fault of PayPal itself. it is usually due to incompatibility between the confirmation checking system used by PayPal, and the different systems used in other countries.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so let's say I clear my paypal account.

Then, I put more "new" money in there. If the people do a chargeback, will they be able to take the "new" money back?

Yes, if anyone does a chargeback they will take any money in your Paypal account to satisfy the debt. Don't quote me but I'm fairly certain they can go into a linked bank account to recoup funds if needed, but I may be wrong on that.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, if anyone does a chargeback they will take any money in your Paypal account to satisfy the debt. Don't quote me but I'm fairly certain they can go into a linked bank account to recoup funds if needed, but I may be wrong on that.

It should just make your paypal balance go negative. They don't take money from your bank account. Mine went negative due to a chargeback and paypal contacted me by phone to resolve the situation. If you do not handle it, they will send a collection agency after you.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 27
If the recipient does not have a confirmed address it is your first tip off that its probably a stolen credit card and once your property has been shipped and received, then you have no recourse if the credit card company reverses the charges. Paypal will want their money as well. Think about it, why would someone need to ship to an address other than the address on the credit card? Do not do business with people like that. I used to handle situations like this at work and a mismatch on the address was an absolute "No Way Pal"!!!

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about it, why would someone need to ship to an address other than the address on the credit card?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have had stuff shipped to me at a different address when traveling for long stretches.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by biph911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have had stuff shipped to me at a different address when traveling for long stretches.

Then some sellers wont deal with u. Simple.

When I am traveling, can't think why would I want to lug all that stuff around... To ea. his own I guess.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then some sellers wont deal with u. Simple.

When I am traveling, can't think why would I want to lug all that stuff around... To ea. his own I guess.

It is certainly their right not to sell to me. Given strong positive feedback in numerous venues and a verified paypal account, I have never had a seller decline my offer to purchase.

I don't think headphones typically fall into the "lugging around" category. Long stretches = months. If I see a deal, I'm not going to pass on it just because I'm in a different location.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about it, why would someone need to ship to an address other than the address on the credit card? Do not do business with people like that.

Because maybe they go to college in a different state and their credit card is under their home address? Or maybe it's a gift that the sender wants to send directly? I don't think you are thinking hard enough.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayehs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because maybe they go to college in a different state and their credit card is under their home address? Or maybe it's a gift that the sender wants to send directly? I don't think you are thinking hard enough.

Definitely true in a lot of cases. My confirmed address is right now in Toronto, but I'm in Halifax, 2000 km away with an unconfirmed address. It really depends on a case by case basis, and it depends if you feel comfortable dealing with a person with an unconfirmed address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back