Dangers of shipping to uncomfirmed addresses?
Feb 4, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 27
If your address is different then as a retailer or seller I would ask you to call the credit card company and have them notate on your account that you wish to ship an item to a different address. And also as the seller I would want the 800 number off your card so I would be able to verify the notation on your account. Otherwise I would tell you to get lost. I know some retailers don't follow these procedures and it exposes them to credit card fraud and so if someone doesn't want to do business with you in that manor just know there is a good reason for it. From one person to another though, I would have to be careless to tell a fellow head-fier to do business that way, the people telling you to ignore this wont be replacing your money when you get taken to the cleaners will they? Maybe its ok if Newegg loses 1.5 percent off the top due to credit card fraud but for a private citizen to loose money once is once to many.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #17 of 27
I believe Paypal's ability to confirm an address has to do with whether any of the credit cards/accounts listed with Paypal are billed to that address. In my case, all my bills go to my home address (confirmed), but I have almost all shipments sent to my business address (unconfirmed). I don't want merchandise sitting on my front step at home in 115 deg F weather during the summer, nor do I want to run the risk that one of my "neighbors" may take it for a walk.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that what signature required is for? Besides as a purchaser I fail to see what that has to do with the poster as he is a seller? There is no risk if you are the purchaser.

The point is that some people have valid reasons for shipping to unconfirmed addresses. Signature requirements at confirmed addresses are a pain in the ass for people who work long days. I end up having to pick my packages up at the sorting facilities (sending a package back to the sorting facility is also a good way to increase the risk of damage). If the seller instead sends it to the location where I am during the day, I'm more than happy to sign for it (or have receiving sign for it).

If the OP would like to be 100% assured that he won't lose out on the transaction then he should heed your advice as it is nearly bulletproof. I don't feel like every single person is out to scam me, and on items less than a couple hundred bucks, I don't need 100% assurance. Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance and it is apparent that yours is very low, which is fine.

I feel that buying and selling over the internet has rewards that outweigh the risks by a large margin, so my tolerance for risk is a little bit higher. I've lost money once in 200+ transactions and in that instance paypal failed me by not giving me timely notification of a dispute.

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 27
I totally understand why people would want to deal with confirmed addresses only, but I know that sometimes my address is different on my credit card account than where I am living at the time. For example, when I went to school in Iowa, I kept my credit card address the same as my home (parent's) address for two reasons: 1. I dealt with my bills online so I did not need the paper bills sent to my dorm. 2. I figured that the address at my house (in Illinois) was more reliable than my school's receiving desk/mail room, and I didn't want any credit card information being sent to Iowa after I was done there.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #21 of 27
Yes, and yet again just to say that if you are outside the US most likely paypal can't make you "confirmed". They have an alternate system called "verified" instead. The explanation I got when I queried this with paypal was that privacy laws in Europe mean that your bank cannot give paypal the oodles of info they would like - so they can't operate the same system.

The way you become verified:

You sign up, usuaslly with CC paypal (again, I cannot load money into my paypal from my regular bank account, just not allowed). They charge you a small fee - say €2. A month later, when you get your CC statement, you will see the charge and a number beside it. You revisit the paypal site and enter in the number - then you are verified. It "proves" that you are where your CC records say you are.

Totally your right to refuse to send it to someone if you don't want. As a buyer, I always will contact the seller first and tell them I am not confirmed, but verified and ask are they OK with that. Its up to them then.

Fran

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I get a payment from a person using an unconfirmed address, paypal always tells me so. What are the dangers?

Thanks

Just hurts honest people like me.. I have a joint account with my mother, & when a ebayer states confirmed address only I need to have it shipped to my mothers house instead of my own..

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

If the recipient does not have a confirmed address it is your first tip off that its probably a stolen credit card and once your property has been shipped and received, then you have no recourse if the credit card company reverses the charges. Paypal will want their money as well. Think about it, why would someone need to ship to an address other than the address on the credit card? Do not do business with people like that. I used to handle situations like this at work and a mismatch on the address was an absolute "No Way Pal"!!!

Come on, man.. Ever heard of a joint account.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #24 of 27
What does all that have to do with Fatman? Do it because you might be inconvenienced sometime in the future? Who has a joint account? Fatman or his buyer? What does everyone else's convenient need to have stuff shipped to a mismatched address have to do with Fatman?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

This is the point of this thread.

Yes and Fatman's question was answered in the 2nd post. But you went on to tell him that if someone has an unconfirmed address that they are scammers with a stolen credit card. And you further went on to ask "Think about it, why would someone need to ship to an address other than the address on the credit card?" and we simply answered your question and told you various scenarios where someone might want things shipped to another address. You ask what this has to do with Fatman, yet you are the one that brought this up.

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 27
Maybe if you read the thread you would see that I put wrote some procedures to follow when someone needs to do this. Anything after that I consider droning on and on about stuff that has nothing to do with this thread. So yeah, I brought it up and everyone keeps bringing it up, over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back