Dangerous Music Source DAC
Dec 20, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #286 of 309
Here's the info on the other product I mentioned, it's by Atterotech, called the UNDAES-O Dante AES Tx interface.

A review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/atterotech-undaes-o-dante-aes-tx-interface

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #287 of 309

Like @mhamel I use a Dangerous Convert-2 post a RedNet D16 AES - via AES not RCA/Coax/SPDIF.

Prior to purchase of the Convert-2 I had an Yggy. The RCA/Coax/SPDIF input was faulty but the Yggy worked fine via AES. The Yggy became a return because of its fault.

(Incidentally, >1 users reported - see the AOIP thread - that the Yggdrasil, unlike the Gungnir and other "unfussy" DACs, via RCA/Coax/SPDIF baulks at or respects a Copy Prohibited flag from RedNet boxes - although Focusrite asserted the opposite on the bench - and, so, there is an unresolved AFAIK conundrum regarding whether the Yggdrasil can be used with RedNet interfaces via RCA/Coax/SPDIF vs. AES.)

Although good, imo the Yggy was light, airy and thin without even listening to the Dangerous Convert-2. I have no complaints about the Convert-2 - solid, dependable, reliable, warm - responds co-operatively with every anti-digital-glare upstream improvement.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #288 of 309
Did anyone with a linear power supply try to upgrade their AC cable coming into the LPS. or the DC cable going from the LPS to the Source? Any results?

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #289 of 309
I'd imagine upgraded power cables wouldn't make any difference. Even if you get a chance to test "high end" cables, do a double blind test with the help of a friend, and don't let the placebo effect wrangle hard earned cash from your wallet. That whole area of the hobby is a snake oil minefield, in my opinion.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #290 of 309
For current Source owners, there are 3 things I'd consider based on my tinkering around in the past few years. I figured I'd post something since I usually get asked by PM about the Source and power supplies and Amphions from time to time.

1) Don't stack it with other components. Keep it away from other gear. There can be noise problems that may or not be directly audible. With certain headphones, like the HD 598, the headphone unit will buzz when stacked. HD 800 on the other hand never did when Source is stacked or not, but there can still be masking effects.

2) If you own the Teradak 12V13A linear power supply. Do not plug it into a cheap power bar/extension bar. Plug it straight into the wall and judge for yourself. The things I notice when plug it into a power strip is the lack of bass and the overall sound being reserved. It's very evident on the headphone side as well. I have put a few thousand hours both with the Source and with/without the power supply in different configurations. If you run high-end clean, balanced power, then that's another thing, but if you're plugging it into a cheap bar, you may need to re-consider.

3) Audioquest Jitterbug. I've been tinkering with it for the USB port on my iMac and Bryston BDP-1's USB ports for hard/flash drives. It definitely makes a difference in my system with the Source. It takes a solid 2-3 days for the sound to open up. Initially it can be a bit dark sounding. I think it's worth a shot at its price. It can be returned if you don't think it helps. However, if you get it, please run it non-stop for 2-3 days before making your final evaluation.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #291 of 309
Late to the party... but better late than never, eh!

8yUK2Rp.png

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #292 of 309
Having finally got a Source and given it several hours now, really I am genuinely astounded by the relative lack of reviews for this piece of equipment outside (and even inside) the pro market.

Coming from a Mojo this takes things to another level with it's authority over the music. The Mojo is a brilliant DAC, and one that I'd not planned on replacing, but it's limitations with using it with headphones and speakers got the better of me and I'm glad it did. Consider me a Dangerous Music advocate from here on in!

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #293 of 309
Source%20Email.png

Not meaning to hijack this thread but after reading this and a few others regarding 'upgrading' the sound of my Source, here's the response I got from Dangerous themselves..
Has saved me spending money on a Linear Power Supply incase anyone else was about to pull the plug too..

Best,

Ryan

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #294 of 309
Source%20Email.png

Not meaning to hijack this thread but after reading this and a few others regarding 'upgrading' the sound of my Source, here's the response I got from Dangerous themselves..
Has saved me spending money on a Linear Power Supply incase anyone else was about to pull the plug too..

Best,

Ryan

Incase the image doesn't read from my email from them:

- I've read that a linear power supply will greatly improve the soundscape of the Source. Some people have been using the Teradak 12V13A with supposedly great results. Before spending £280 on a power supply I would love to hear direct from Dangerous if there's any truth in this and also if there's a cheaper power supply out there to give the same results!

Our designer says it will not make an improvement. You can certainly find people on forums saying it does, but none of those to my knowledge did a blind test. Naturally, if you spend money on an upgrade, you may trick yourself and hear a difference. This is where a blind test would be the most revealing. As I said however, our designer says it won't matter.

- I've also read that using the AES input provides better sound quality than direct USB from computer as there's x2 DACs on the source for each. Is this true? If so do I need to be feeding the AES with another quality interface or will any cheap interface with this feature provide the exact same digital signal? For example expensive would be Focusrite Rednet D16 with a simple AES out then into the source. Or (Hopefully same results example) using any cheap £100 interface with a S/PDIF or Coxial such as Behringer FCA610 or similar.

Both digital inputs use the same DAC, so there's no sound difference. However, the clocking can make a difference. So if the device that feeds the AES input has a great word clock, it may sound better than USB. In other cases, USB will sound better than AES if the device connected to AES has a mediocre word clock. For that reason, there's no point in connecting a cheap interface to the AES in, as it may not sound as good as USB. Results will vary pending the interface used.

You're probably fine as is, and you could use that money elsewhere in your setup. Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Respectfully,
Chris V
DMI Support

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #299 of 309
i just received my dms a month back...i am not happy with its headphone out...not engh power for the 800 or my vintage cans...anyone here connected the source to an external headphone amp ?

I had a conversation with their customer support sometime ago (just a few general questions about functionality) and they quoted the headphone amps as being 5 watts. If that is indeed true then it shouldn't have any issue driving most cans. Assuming you're meaning the HD800 when talking about the 800? There was a chap a while back who used this combo who reported it was an excellent match; he has the volume set to about 12 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back