Dangerous Music Source DAC
Sep 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #181 of 309
It's a pity, studio gear oriented companies don't produce portable dac/amp solutions. I believe it would be higly regarded not only among professionals but audio "freaks" as well
smile.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #182 of 309
  The Convert-2 is in the house.

I'm having a very busy week so I haven't had time to really level-match and compare with the Yggrasil and the Source. Just a few really quick initial impressions. Depth of soundstage and layering of instruments in space is jaw-dropping. I think the Yggy's imaging may be a bit wider but not as deep. There is a sense of spaciousness with the Yggy that, to date, is the best I've heard from a DAC. I'm hearing similar qualities with the Convert-2, but need quite a bit more time with it before I can really comment on how they compare and which I prefer.

Typically DM, it feels very well-built. It's pro gear, so it's designed to be functional before stylish. My primary concern is sound, not cosmetics, and I know some people find pro gear ugly, but to my eyes it's also a great looking piece of gear. 

More impressions to come.

-Mike

Thanks for sharing your impressions, I'm waiting for more!
Hope you enjoy the Convert :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #183 of 309
Hi there...

need some help... just acquired the dangerous source and having a hard time making it work with my PC running windows 8. the same with another PC running windows 7...

When checking the device configuration, the XMOS audio USB 2.0 is in error... (error code 10: version incompatible between hub and port)...

I tried the following:
1. two different PCs (windows 7 and 8)
2. changed the "mandatory driver signature check" parameter in windows 8
3. different usb cables
4. with other dirvers (ifi, Resonessence, xmos evaluation driver, etc.)

So far nothing worked out.

Please do share if you have any inputs on how this might be solved.

Thanks guys! and girls! :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #184 of 309
  Hi there...

need some help... just acquired the dangerous source and having a hard time making it work with my PC running windows 8. the same with another PC running windows 7...

When checking the device configuration, the XMOS audio USB 2.0 is in error... (error code 10: version incompatible between hub and port)...

I tried the following:
1. two different PCs (windows 7 and 8)
2. changed the "mandatory driver signature check" parameter in windows 8
3. different usb cables
4. with other dirvers (ifi, Resonessence, xmos evaluation driver, etc.)

So far nothing worked out.

Please do share if you have any inputs on how this might be solved.

Thanks guys! and girls! :)

Contact Dangerous Music via email. They are very helpful.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #186 of 309
Hi guys and gals,

I replaced the Macbook Pro running Audirvana Plus with the Bryston BDP-1. I attach a hard drive to the BDP-1 and then send it to the AES port. I must say the BDP-1 is a HUGE step up above the USB input via Macbook Pro. I was pleased to find out that the Dangerous Source did respond positively to the BDP-1. The BDP-1 already comes with a linear power supply built in...nothing really for me to add to that.

I think the next upgrade to the setup will be adding a linear power supply to the Dangerous Source. In the past I've mentioned the Teradak 12V13A. Has anyone tried others that also worked well? Or have you read up on other LPSU that may be better than the Teradak?

The HD 800 experience continues to get better with the Dangerous Source.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #187 of 309
Hi

I have a power supply Teady Pardo, it's work great.
I have tested batteries, it's great too but it's not easy to use.
My seller recommend the POWERPAK II

I have a M2TECH EVO, and it's better (with batteries NIMH batteries).
My seller recommend the SOTM dX-USB HD.

Curiously, there is an important improvement with good cables for AES and USB.

And a little difference with JPLAY....

I have a HD800 too, it's great, but I have change the cables (Jena Labs), and the sound is more natural and soft (I realy don't like the stock cables).

For the headphone amp, the chip of the dac is a cheap TV amp. with normals spec. it's works great but with a good amp, it's realy better.

(I have a DIY SIT amp. inspired by NESLON PASS, it's an other story...)

I like this dac, because it's very neutral, and "musical", it's not easy to have both.
And he can evolve...

Proton

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #188 of 309
have to admit that when testing with the HE5LE, and when comparing with a SMSL SA 50 amp... using the same source... in a sighted test... the amp section of the dangerous shows its limitations... It feels like the SMSL is able to provide better clarity, imaging and details...

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #189 of 309
  The Convert-2 is in the house.

I'm having a very busy week so I haven't had time to really level-match and compare with the Yggrasil and the Source. Just a few really quick initial impressions. Depth of soundstage and layering of instruments in space is jaw-dropping. I think the Yggy's imaging may be a bit wider but not as deep. There is a sense of spaciousness with the Yggy that, to date, is the best I've heard from a DAC. I'm hearing similar qualities with the Convert-2, but need quite a bit more time with it before I can really comment on how they compare and which I prefer.

Typically DM, it feels very well-built. It's pro gear, so it's designed to be functional before stylish. My primary concern is sound, not cosmetics, and I know some people find pro gear ugly, but to my eyes it's also a great looking piece of gear. 

More impressions to come.

-Mike

Do you have more impressions of the Convert comparing it with the Yggdrasil?
I'm really interested on that 
happy_face1.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #190 of 309
Maybe I can add something to this thread.  I'm a long-time Source user and have been very satisfied with it.  But I had the itch (you know how that goes) and scratched it; I bought an Yggy, which I just picked up today from FedEx.  It's plugged in, per Schiit's instructions, and I will let it warm up overnight before I start listening.  My report about how the Source compares to the Yggy will have to wait a couple of weeks, of course.  Stay tuned.
Rich

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #191 of 309
  Maybe I can add something to this thread.  I'm a long-time Source user and have been very satisfied with it.  But I had the itch (you know how that goes) and scratched it; I bought an Yggy, which I just picked up today from FedEx.  It's plugged in, per Schiit's instructions, and I will let it warm up overnight before I start listening.  My report about how the Source compares to the Yggy will have to wait a couple of weeks, of course.  Stay tuned.
Rich

Thank you very much, I've used the Source and I'm a big fan, of course it's not a fair comparison but very interesting too :)

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #192 of 309
Rich

It doesn't have to wait a couple of weeks bro.

Please report on initial impressions... I want to sell my pulse x infinity for it. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #193 of 309
I'd really be interested in someone testing the Dangerous Source with a LPS against the Yggy.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #194 of 309
  I'd really be interested in someone testing the Dangerous Source with a LPS against the Yggy.

I'm very interested too, but the real contender for the Yggy is the Convert-2, which is getting rave reviews like this:

http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/109/convert-2-convert-8-converters/

Quoting Allen Farmelo.

"I'm happy to say, however, that Dangerous Music has delivered multichannel digital-to-analog conversion that's beautiful to listen to and never tires me out. Let me preface my review here by letting you, dear reader, know that I have listened to everything I possibly could over the years, including external clocks, 10M atomic clocks, DSD recorders, re-clocking systems, double-re-clocking systems, esoteric mastering converters, audiophile dream-machines — all hooked up together in countless combinations in an attempt to put together a digital tracking and playback system that was truly satisfying. When I plugged in the Dangerous Music Convert-8, I finally sat back and thought that digital pro-audio might have finally arrived. After hours and hours, and then days — and now weeks — of listening to the same material, it still sounds beautiful. "

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #195 of 309
Rich

Any update on this Rich? I have a Source and I'm considering an upgrade so I'd be interested in how you think it compares to the Yggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back