Dandruff shampoo that actually works?
Aug 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
neither head n shoulders white nor blue worked at all for me. t/gel worked somewhat. but selsun blue does the trick no problem. i guess it just depends on each person's skin condition. good luck.

IIRC HS and SB both uses the same active ingredintet, if one works the other should, unless the HS blue that is different, T gel didn't worked for me neither, HS have one new now, that has dobule strength, the only solution is to wash you head everyday withy one of the above, or the guillotine...

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 35
I used head and shoulders for a bit until my hairdresser told me not to use it because it doesn't work very well...

Then I tried T/Gel (the equivalent of putting tar on your head) and it kinda worked but smelt bad so I stopped.

Now I use Garnier Fructis Anti-Dandruff and it does seem to work reasonably well. Plus it smells good. Mmmm....

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 35
You might try Nizerol (or Nizoral or something like that - blue bottle). Sometimes dandruff is caused by a fungus - not so unlike athletes foot. It sounds more icky than it is. Nizerol is an antifungal and used to be prescription but now is over the counter. Does not smell bad and it works differently than Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, etc. Worth a shot. Give it a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 35
I've tried all the ones available in the UK, including several prescribed by a GP - stuff like Nizoral (Ketoconazole) and Polytar (Coal Tar extract).

In the end I tried Head and Shoulders 'Sensitive', and as long as I use it daily, I don't have any problems. Can't believe that after all the 7 or so years I had the problem, a standard over the counter one works fine.

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #22 of 35
Man I hate dandruff! Whenever I get a new shampoo it goes away for one, yes, ONE DAY. For one day I will have super shiny, soft hair. After that, it is all downhill. My hair actually gets really weird, like it doesnt even feel normaly, almost waxy. and the dandruff sucks.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herbal Essences No Flakin' Way works for me but I don't have real heavy dandruff.

X2, I use this stuff a few times a week and I never have even a single flake. But like you I never had heavy dandruff...

I would give it a try, it smells pretty good and actually works well...

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #24 of 35
I used to have the best shampoo for dandruff, Pantene Blue, it was marketed in Indonesia and it works for me, it smells good and make my hair very soft. I can't find Pantene blue anywhere else. In US, I've tried H&S, nizoral, Selsun Blue. The only one works best for me is Selsun Blue w/ Menthol. I loved the cool sensation in my head using this shampoo, however its smell is strong and doesn't make my hair as soft as Pantene Blue.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #25 of 35
Try KMS dandruff line. I have sometimes dry scalp with a little bit psoriasis, and it helps. Even if the "hair-dresser approved" shampoos are overpriced, I think you get what you pay for in a way, and you only need small amounts. Massage it into your scalp, and leave it in to work for a couple of minutes. I have heard that many of the cheaper shampoos use silicon, which could make things worse. I don't know... Could be worth a try.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 35
Alternate between Nizoral, T/GEL and H&S every other day. Each one has a different active ingredient, so you won't grow resistant to them as quickly.

You may actually have Seborrheic Dermatitis, which is much more chronic and annoying than plain old dandruff.

See a dermatologist if it doesn't get better.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #28 of 35
I've been using H&S for a while, and it didn't seem to do the trick right away. I had to go through a half bottle before I saw a difference, and even now it's not entirely gone. Much, much better than it was though. Give it some time.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #29 of 35
As soon as i saw the thread title, i thought of neutrogena t-gel. Good stuff.
Also Loreal Vive for Men dandruff shampoo.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #30 of 35
The best treatment in a dry climate (like in Canada) is frequent showers with mild shampoo, daily steam room, and to refrain from scratching.

I've tried using 5 kinds of "dandruff shampoos" and none of them works as well as any of the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back