Damping Factor
Aug 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #91 of 168
  But doesn't seem like it will exhibit similar physical properties as moving coils in dynamic drivers.. not sure how you can apply same fomulas on it

It more or less does.

The fundamental difference between dynamic and orthodynamic drivers is the layout of the magnets and the voice coil. As illustrated in @SilverEars' posts, dynamics have a single magnet with the voice coil winding in many loops around the single magnet. Here, current i through the wire loop with total length L runs perpendicular to the magnetic field B, thus a force perpendicular to both is generated (F = (L*i x B)).

Here is illustration from a magnetism website

Orthodynamics work using the same principle (F = (L*i x B)).

Here's one of the images SilverEars linked above of the magnetic field in an ortho headphone

You can see in that the arrangement of the magnet array generates many regions where the magnetic field lines run horizontally between alternating poles. It is through these regions that the serpentine trace of the ortho's voice coil would run through (in this case into and out of the image). Again, this forces the diaphragm perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field lines, hence (F = (L*i x B)).

In both cases, the magnitude of the force on the diaphragm is F = B*L*i and when the diaphragm moves through the magnetic field, a back EMF is generated V = B*L*u as we've covered in the previous posts.

This back EMF is the source of electrical damping and the magnitude of its effect on the diaphragm dynamics depends on the damping factor, which is the topic of the thread.

What we are fleshing out now is how important this effect is depending on specific headphone parameters based on a first principles approach, and trying to rectify that with the observed electrical characteristics that people have measured with different types of headphones.

Cheers

Ergh, think I should have used "exactly same" instead of "similar" in my last post =_=
For example, I don't think the printed circuit in planar driver exhibits physical characteristics of a spring like dynamic voice coil, which seem like an important factor in damping.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #92 of 168
Tyll talks about the mechanical damping in the video, it's the outer ring of the Orthos(this is not the diaphram damping of course).  Here is Audeze's setup:

Not sure if the Fazor is additoinal damping or new damping technology, but I understand the mechanical damping is on both sides in the layers for Orthos.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #93 of 168
Yes, I am well aware how orthodynamic headphones measure. I'm not sure what your point is?

The topic is damping factor. Can you please relate these observed electrical characteristics to the electro-mechanics of a dynamic driver? It isn't clear to me how the impedance of a dynamic driver being predominately real over the audio frequency range decouples the driver dynamics from the damping factor. Either that result can be derived (say, from the model given in the AES paper), or we need to add additional restrictions to arrive at such a result. (Or there is no such result)

There is no resonance manifest in the electrical domain. If there is no resonance manifest in the electrical domain, then electrical damping is moot.

se

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #94 of 168
  Tyll talks about the mechanical damping in the video, it's the outer ring of the Orthos(this is not the diaphram damping of course).  Here is Audeze's setup:

Not sure if the Fazor is additoinal damping or new damping technology, but I understand the mechanical damping is on both sides in the layers for Orthos.

fazor is just changing the shape into triangles to reduce the impact of the physical shape of the magnets obstructing the path of the sound. it's not meant to change damping.

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #95 of 168
Starting from the equivalent model given by Thorburg, Unruh, and Struck:

The impedance of the speaker is the sum of the electrical resistance in the voice coil, Re, the inductance of the voice coil, Le, and the driver's electrical equivalent RLC network Rp, Cp, and Lp. Here, the mechanical properties of the loudspeaker are modeled as a mass-spring-damper system as described previously (here, here, and again here). Denoting the mass, mechanical damping, and effective spring stiffness as m, c, and k, the RLC parameters are related to the mechanical parameters through the magnetic coupling (B*l) as:

Cp = m / (B*l)^2
Rp = (B*l)^2 / c
and
Lp = (B*l)^2 / k

Furthermore, one can right the systems natural frequency w0 and damping ratio z in terms of the electrical (Rp, Cp, Lp) or mechanical parameters (m, c, k). The dynamics are exactly the same.

w0 = sqrt( k/m ) = 1 / sqrt(Lp*Cp)
and
z = c / (2 * sqrt( k * m ) )  = sqrt( Lp / Cp ) / (2 * Rp)

Therefore, we can write the impedance of the equivalent parallel RLC network Zp describing the dynamics of the mechanical system as (in s-domain):

Zp(s) = ( s * (B*l)^2 / m  ) / (s^2 + 2*w0*z*s + w0^2)

Therefore, the total impedance for the complete driver equivalent circuit Zt is the sum of the impedances of the three components in the circuit, Re, Le, and Zp.

Zt(s) = Re + s*Le + Zp
->
Zt(s) = Re + s*Le + ( s * (B*l)^2 / m  ) / (s^2 + 2*w0*z*s + w0^2) [ * ]

For steady-state AC sinusoidal analysis (as occurs when measuring the impedance of headphones using a sweep of frequencies), the complex impedance of the driver can be found by replacing the complex frequency s with the angular frequency j*w. Rearranging equation [ * ] into the real and imaginary parts, one obtains the complex impedance of the driver

Zt(j*w) = Rt + j*Xt

where Rt is the real part of the impedance (i.e., the resistive component) and Xt is the imaginary part of the impedance (i.e., the reactive component). These are given as

Rt = Re + ((B*l)^2 / m)  * ( 2*z*w0 * (w / w0 )^2 ) / (1 - (1 + 4 * z^2 * w0^2)*(w / w0 )^2 )    [ ** ]
and
Xt = w*( Le + ((B*l)^2 / m)  * ( 1 - (w / w0 )^2 ) / (1 - (1 + 4 * z^2 * w0^2)*(w / w0 )^2 ) )     [ *** ]

These expressions show us how the complex impedance of the driver varies as a function of frequency w, where the traditional frequency in Hz is given by f = w / (2 * pi ).

There are a few things to note
1) Regarding the magnetic coupling, highlighted in red in equations [ ** ] and [ *** ] above. If the magnetic coupling is weak ( B*l is small) or if the effective mass of the driver diaphragm is large ( m is big ), then the contribution of the driver mechanics to the total electrical impedance becomes vanishingly small and the total driver impedance is dominated by the voice coil resistance and inductance. Namely, the impedance simplifies to

Zt ~ Re + j*w*Le
when (B*l)^2 /m is small

Furthermore, if w*Le is small throughout the audio range (i.e., w*Le / Re << 1), the impedance can be further simplified to Zt ~ Re.

2), Regarding the frequency dependent contribution of the mechanical system, highlighted in purple in equations [ ** ] and [ *** ] above. When the natural frequency of the system is much higher than any frequency of interest (namely, w/w0 << 1 for all w of interest) , the contribution of the mechanical system to the resistive impedance vanishes (the purple term in [ ** ] becomes vanishingly small for all w of interest), and the contribution of the mechanical system to the reactive impedance is a constant (specifically, 1; namely, the purple term in [ *** ] is essentially equal to 1 for all w of interest). Namely, the impedance simplifies to

Zt ~ Re + j*w*(Le + ((B*l)^2 / m) )
when w/w0 << 1

Furthermore, if w*(Le + ((B*l)^2 / m) ) is small throughout the audio range (i.e., w*(Le + ((B*l)^2 / m) )/ Re << 1), the impedance can be further simplified to Zt ~ Re.

3), Regarding the frequency dependent contribution of the mechanical system, highlighted in purple in equations [ ** ] and [ *** ] above. When the natural frequency of the system is much lower than any frequency of interest (namely, w/w0 >> 1 for all w of interest) , the contribution of the mechanical system is constant (the purple terms in [ ** ] and [ *** ] are independent of w for all w of interest). Namely, the impedance simplifies to

Zt ~ Re - ((B*l)^2 / m) * ( 2*z*w0 ) / (1 + 4 * z^2 * w0^2)
       + j*w*(Le + ((B*l)^2 / m) * 1 / (1 + 4 * z^2 * w0^2) )
when w/w0  >> 1

Furthermore, if w*(Le + ((B*l)^2 / m) * 1 / (1 + 4 * z^2 * w0^2) ) is small throughout the audio range (i.e., w*(Le + ((B*l)^2 / m) * 1 / (1 + 4 * z^2 * w0^2) )/ Re << 1), the impedance can be further simplified to Zt ~ Re.

So, here I've derived the complex impedance for a speaker model in terms of the dynamics of the mechanical (and equivalently its electrical counterpart) system. The resistive and reactive components of a general dynamic driver are given by equations [ ** ] and [ *** ], respectively. In general, both the resistive and reactive components of a dynamic driver's impedance are nonzero and functions of the excitation frequency w.

I've examined three situation where the complex impedance simplifies to a constant, real impedance over a limited frequency range. Any other special cases I should take a look at?

It should be clear that there are multiple ways in which a *dynamic driver can exhibit a constant, resistive impedance over a limited frequency range, each with a different physical interpretation of the driver mechanics.

The next step is to relate the total system impedance (including the amplifier's damping factor into Re) to electrical damping and understanding how the mechanical system is affected by these external circuit parameters.

Cheers

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #98 of 168
  Ok, quick question.
I use IEMs that have a "flat" impedance response like that one or that one. Then I shouldn't expect any change in the sonic traits when I change the output impedance of the amp, right?

that's right you shouldn't have any change in signature. I have my IE80 that are pretty much in the same situation and I can't swear  on my life that there is zero change in sound because the volume level change is too important for me to tell with a switch, but I tried up to 130ohm resistors added between the amp and the IEM and didn't feel like there was a difference.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #100 of 168
Ab initio doesn't say the opposite, he barely talks about how big the effect of electrical damping is.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #101 of 168
Ab initio's problem is that he insists on modeling something that behaves just like a resistor with something that doesn't behave at all like a resistor.

se

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #102 of 168
Ab initio's problem is that he insists on modeling something that behaves just like a resistor with something that doesn't behave at all like a resistor.

se

Taken to the extremes the planar shouldn't behave like a resistor. It just means that some of  the parameters he discusses must have very small influence on planars I think.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #104 of 168
  How can a headphone behave like a resistor (even if the impedance response is flat and almost a resistance) ?

Does this post make sense or not?

That's a very good question. As I see it, resonance below the fundamental frequency (or whatever it is called) should somehow show up in the impedance measurement unless it is very small. I'm honestly not sure. But I think the culprit is that the planar measures very flat, yet isn't totally flat in the impedance just very close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back