damn you all...
Aug 8, 2005 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
I have purposely stayed away from this particular forum because i was afraid of what might happen if I did.

Anyway, I got bored and started reading here and that's when it started again. It's bad enough that I have a gazillion MP# players and CD players, but now it looks like my headphone collection will be catching up.

I was ignorantly happy with my sony ex71 and koss portapros. But after reading here, I went and got some shure e2c's. That was good, then I decided I had to have some shure e4c's. That was even better Then I heard a friend's ultimate ears super.fi 5-pros' and I just ordered myself a set today.

The shure e4 and the super fi seem to be so different and complimentary to each other that I will keep those two and sell of the rest.

Of course I said that when I got my rio pearl to go with my ipod photo, ipod shuffle, zen micro, my sony 920, my n200......

This is a sickness, I need help.....

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 21
Hi, my name is zviO and I'm an audiopholic.

Welcome friend.

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 21
Aug 8, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 21
Tell me about it. I have 6 pairs of headphones of which...don't really serve any other purpose than to occupy space (I only really use the SR-60's, 212's, and EX71's), and yet I'm still looking to buy new cans. It's just if I see on here "ooh! these are good!" my interest peaks and naturally, I'll find it at a discounted price and think to myself "I can't pass this up!"

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 21
lol.. wait until you've reached the 'insane' stage, heh..

frown.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
I have purposely stayed away from this particular forum because i was afraid of what might happen if I did.

Anyway, I got bored and started reading here and that's when it started again. It's bad enough that I have a gazillion MP# players and CD players, but now it looks like my headphone collection will be catching up.

I was ignorantly happy with my sony ex71 and koss portapros. But after reading here, I went and got some shure e2c's. That was good, then I decided I had to have some shure e4c's. That was even better Then I heard a friend's ultimate ears super.fi 5-pros' and I just ordered myself a set today.

The shure e4 and the super fi seem to be so different and complimentary to each other that I will keep those two and sell of the rest.

Of course I said that when I got my rio pearl to go with my ipod photo, ipod shuffle, zen micro, my sony 920, my n200......

This is a sickness, I need help.....

I have been attempting to determine if I should upgrade from the Sony EX71’s to the Shure E5C (Same here enjoying the music, but hearing others talk about how bad they are compared to the real IEM’s), Now I have the bug and want to upgrade, though, I have never actually listened to the E5C, I feel like I am missing something by not having them, just based on the good things that I have read about them.

I wish someone could tell me that I will really get my money’s worth over the Sony’s, what do you all think??

I need help!!

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
lol.. wait until you've reached the 'insane' stage, heh..

frown.gif

lol you talking about me?
icon10.gif

Yeah, after a few months you will be spending thousands on power cords. A year ago I didn't even own an amp! I was using Sennheiser HD590 + Audigy2 for two years and I was happy. Once you start upgrading you can't stop, trust me. It's better to quit before it's too late!
eek.gif

If you still want to do it, then it is better to save up enough money and get your "dream system", that way you don't lose money when buying and selling all the time. If you plan your purchases correctly you won't have any extra equipment lying around and collecting dust.

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 21
LOL. less than 1 year reading this forum. I already spend over $500, and I know it won't just stop there. I am still missing an nice amp. and the list goes on and on.

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
LOL. less than 1 year reading this forum. I already spend over $500, and I know it won't just stop there. I am still missing an nice amp. and the list goes on and on.

Replace the word "year" with "month" and the same applies to me. Funny thing is that I was able to control myself the last time I frequented these boards two or three years ago and came away with just the SR60's. Not any more however
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 21
Hey, at least you can get some $$$ back by selling all your extra equipment on ebay or at the for sale forums. Me personally spent already $200 CAD the last month alone all on headphones.

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 21
What's strange is I still feel like I don't have enough headphones.

I use headphones in the following situations:
1) At work, all day long (sometimes)
2) While watching Movies / TV in my living room late at night
3) On my computer
4) In my bedroom, late at night
5) On the road, while travelling, visiting friends / family etc.
6) On the train or plane (different from #5)

The reason I make a distinction between 5 & 6 is that while I could still get away with non-closed headphones, only canalphones can really do the trick in situation #6 - and I use them there even though I don't really like canalphones too much otherwise.
I don't like to travel with large, expensive headphones because they break or get damaged.
I don't like to carry headphone from room to room and keep plugging and unplugging stuff.
Hence I need at least 6 top-notch 'phones, at present I have 4 and 2 are serviceable, so 2 more to go (for now.)

At least that's how I rationalize things to myself. I'm not crazy. I think. I hope?

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 21
Honestly, if you know you don't have the self-control to resist upgraditis, then just skip the intermediate stage and go for the best gear that you can comfortably afford; all of that "work your way up to..." stuff just wastes you more money in the long run. Also, a synergistic system that you "like" even though you "know you shouldn't" is usually a keeper, whereas an analytical system that makes you think "hmmm, what if there was slightly more midbass or less of a peak at 2.5k" usually won't let you be happy regardless of it's other virtues. Let's put it another way: if you're listening to the music, then you don't need to upgrade, but if you're listening to the system, then you're not there yet, and need to change some gear.

I've spent thousands in my one year on head-fi. Less than a year! And just to think, I'm almost happy with my system! Just need a good tube amp (on it's way already), and maybe a pair of HE60's or SR-007's, and then I'm all set! Up until the next source upgrade, of course - there's gotta be a Krell or Wadia with my name on it, and then of course there are the UE10's...

AAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

confused.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 21
You're crazy. Just like the rest of us.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back