Damn....I can NOT believe I just did this!!
Nov 12, 2006 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sant430

500+ Head-Fier
After some deep thinking and going back and forth (not to mention some very hardcore spousal negotiations-I feel like I just made a deal with the devil!), I decided to email Ken at audiolineout about the Earmax Pro. I had emailed him a couple times in the past regarding some cables and possibly purchasing a Dared MP5, but nothing ever came to fruition. This time around, he got me at a weak point.

So I just pulled the trigger on an Earmax Pro. Not to mention an LOD, LOD to RCA, RCA to RCA, and mini to RCA. Now, please don't take this as buyer's remorse or anything like that, but I've never made a transaction like this!! I'm a little excited and at the same time, a little rattled too.

My transaction really isn't that big compared to the heavy hitters here, but it's a big one for me.

Has anyone ever felt like this after a relatively largish transaction?

BTW, I would like to mention that Ken at AudioLineOut is an AWESOME person to do business with! He was unbelievably patient with me and answered all of my questions and concerns.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430
After some deep thinking and going back and forth (not to mention some very hardcore spousal negotiations-I feel like I just made a deal with the devil!), I decided to email Ken at audiolineout about the Earmax Pro. I had emailed him a couple times in the past regarding some cables and possibly purchasing a Dared MP5, but nothing ever came to fruition. This time around, he got me at a weak point.

So I just pulled the trigger on an Earmax Pro. Not to mention an LOD, LOD to RCA, RCA to RCA, and mini to RCA. Now, please don't take this as buyer's remorse or anything like that, but I've never made a transaction like this!! I'm a little excited and at the same time, a little rattled too.

My transaction really isn't that big compared to the heavy hitters here, but it's a big one for me.

Has anyone ever felt like this after a relatively largish transaction?

hi
yea, when i bought my amp, it was by far the largest cash i had ever held at one point.. kinda scary. a year ago, when i got my HD650, i had the same feeling... it was like taking a dive off a cliff.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 18
just relax, you can always just sell it. I buy all sorts of big ticket electronic items and then sell them on ebay. I take a loss but's it's not much compared to the fun i get out of it.

Just got to move the merch now and then.

And it's fun buying and selling on site like this as everyones just as nutz as you are and are generaly stellar folks.

cheers.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Congrats on that cool looking amp. When it arrives and you have a listen you'll feel relieved I bet.

I'm ready to fork over some cash for a DAC but I like to sit on the idea of something new for a few weeks, it makes me feel better about my decision...it also helps that the cash came from a big pile of scrap aluminum
icon10.gif

What's the ETA on that baby?

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 18
I think my post may come off as regret. I should clarify that I'm really pumped about what I've ordered, and can't wait for everything to come in!

I remember the first few times I came here, I remember thinking there was no way in hell I'd EVER spend over $100 on headphones, let alone even think of buying a headphone amp!

Now, here I am already impatiently waiting for an EMP.

There is ONE THING that I dread about my transaction. In exchange for my wife supporting my ALO transaction, I had to agree to me remodeling one of our rooms into a scrapbook/silkscreening room for her over Xmas break. This is still well worth the re-model!!

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 18
As nerve racking as it is spending the big bucks on audio gear, it's so much worse when you're only 18 years old and you have to hide it from your parents. If they knew I spent anywhere near as much as I have you all would probably never hear from me again.
redface.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
As nerve racking as it is spending the big bucks on audio gear, it's so much worse when you're only 18 years old and you have to hide it from your parents. If they knew I spent anywhere near as much as I have you all would probably never hear from me again.
redface.gif

You're sick (and I wish I could have been you when I was 18
biggrin.gif
) when you're my age you just need to hide it from one person...the wife
wink.gif

I watched the Zoom Tour Live DVD 2 weeks ago. So, ELO nut, have you seen it?---pretty darn good.

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
You're sick (and I wish I could have been you when I was 18
biggrin.gif
) when you're my age you just need to hide it from one person...the wife
wink.gif

haha, ain't it the truth. That's why my wife hasn't visited my office since I've joined Head-Fi.

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430
I remember thinking there was no way in hell I'd EVER spend over $100 on headphones....

What's that saying about wallets?

Hey, welcome to the club! Yeah, I've gotten the feeling, too. I impulsively bought the K-1000 when it was discontinued; I hadn't heard one before. The cool thing is that after the gear arrives, you usually love it (and I think you'll love your new amp) and you forget about what you paid. I felt funny about the K-1000, but then it arrived. Zero regrets.

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
haha, ain't it the truth. That's why my wife hasn't visited my office since I've joined Head-Fi.

...and i thought i'm the only one.

I guess we should start a new team...TEAM HIDE FROM WIFE or something similiar.

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 18
Oh man, judging by the title I was convinced that I would come in here to see that you bought 2 ES-1 amps, a Pair of HE-90s a Pair of Omega IIs, a top-tier Shanling CD player, and Nordost interconnects all around. At least, that's what it would take for me to make a post with such a title, but then again, I am a bit looney...

At any rate, have fun with your new toy. You only live once.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda
...and i thought i'm the only one.

I guess we should start a new team...TEAM HIDE FROM WIFE or something similiar.

Team Head-Fi.... Team Hide-Fi ... hide from wife... get it... yes I did, I did just go there
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 18
I know the feeling. My first venturing into hi-fi resulted in my getting my current setup of 1212m, PPAv2, and DT880s. I also didn't have an opportunity to listen to any of it beforehand, so it was all based off reviews and forum posts.

I would just suggest relaxing until the gear gets there; chances are you'll like it.

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #14 of 18
1. Make them feel 100% safe and secure about their looks, figure and your love a number of time every day.

2. Let them buy new furniture and re-arrange the house often...or clothes.

3. NEVER NEVER open your mouth when you think they need instructions about how to do something.

I dropped $2100 into a headphone amp recently and she didn't even make a peep. She just kept on redecorating around the two new sofas!

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
redface.gif

Would your parents really care if they knew? I just turned 18 today and dropped over 1k solely into my amp. My parents know excactly how much I spend and while sometimes when I get ahead of myself they ask me how wise of a purchase it is, they always let me make the final decision so long as I've earned the money myself.

I would think that if it's your money adn you're 18 years old your parents should let you do what you want with it....but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back