Damn cat keeps biting through my chords!!
Aug 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

XGC75

New Head-Fier
At first it was my oldest pair, the headphones that started it all for me, the Sennheiser HD212 Pro's. He severed both left + and - wires. Fortunately I could fix those (but the OFC doesn't really apply anymore, so there's that nagging in the back of my mind), and what a PITA that was!

Yesterday it was my Sennheiser CX380 Sport II. He severed just the right - this time. There's no way I'm going to attempt to fix these, I'll have to replace them.

What a jerk! 
mad.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 14
Why the heck do you let your cat near your gear? I love my cat more than my gear, but he has yarn to play with and my gear is in a pet-free room. Ever notice those ads that always go, "(insert gear here) used in a pet-free, smoke-free home"? I have three cats (plus the strays I leave leftovers for) and I smoke, but any room other than the common areas (living room, kitchen, bar, chicken-wired half of the side porch) and bathroom where I bathe the cats are all kept pet- and smoke-free.

Like Caesar and Jackson always would say : train the humans, not the pets.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Hah! Appreciate the concern but in the case of both headphones I was being careless. I rose him playing with shoe laces so anything that's long and moves is a target, including (and especially) headphones. He knows not to play with them when I'm wearing them, but when I leave them out of their drawer and turn my back, he's on it.

He's also a <1yr old Turkish Van, a breed known for being pretty feral. Lots of hunting, energy and even bites. He'll jump right on top of the fridge so we're forcibly careful with food, too. Love the guy, but damn. I think I'll start to keep my C3's at work!

I was hoping someone would chime in to recommend a replacement to the CX380's. I liked that they were a piece that I wouldn't worry about - be it the chord, sweat dripping, stepping on, etc. For sound, they had a fun character but generally slow responses. Great soundstage (with a Fiio E5) and separation. Boomy bass and not too high of a top-end, but it wasn't missed too much given I was running with them. I could just buy another pair, but I like experimenting. Suggestions, anyone? I'd like a pair that I can be somewhat analytic with, to make them interesting while running, but the fun factor is more important and I really love good soundstage and separation. Willing to pay a bit more if need be ($60 tops, probably). I'm familiar with Joker's thread.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 14
Well just keep the stuff away from him. Even our vases are blu-tac'd to the tables just to make the house more cat-friendly. As for replacement suggestions, I'd say start a new thread in the appropriate section - you'll get more responses there.

In any case I'm using an M6P for my Android; bass is bloated but unlike my back-up CX300 this one has a mic so it gets more eartime.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Wipe the Cables with Tabasco - I doubt he will do it again!

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
Wipe the Cables with Tabasco - I doubt he will do it again!

Actually I found "Bitter Apple". It's meant to keep dogs from biting their feet. He'll bite the chord once, but never again.

As far as residue, it dries in ~15 minutes to a more "matte" finish so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a chord with and without it. It doesn't smell like anything.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754400&cp=2767032.2767076&utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 14
After his cat bit it?
Might as well French kiss his cat. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 14
Sep 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
you don't understand how well this bitter apple stuff sticks to flesh. lol

I'll just stick to my old habits and keep the cats out of my bedroom and library/office then, especially since it seems like a plus when ads include "kept in a smoke-free, pet-free home." I smoke and I have cats, but given all my gear are in a/c rooms that barely get the windows open, both aren't allowed in there.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I'll just stick to my old habits and keep the cats out of my bedroom and library/office then, especially since it seems like a plus when ads include "kept in a smoke-free, pet-free home." I smoke and I have cats, but given all my gear are in a/c rooms that barely get the windows open, both aren't allowed in there.

a solid idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back