Dallas, TX - "Deux for 2012", a not-quite-as-mini meet - Sunday, October 14th
Oct 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #136 of 163
Quote:
  1. . Will deposit all of my upcoming paychecks directly into savings so I am not tempted to start my own journey towards the audio pinnacle.

LMAO!!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #137 of 163
I can understand where you're coming from as far as not justifying the cost. I thought I'd be in the same boat, but it was a pretty significant difference for me, so I went for it.

What I came away from this meet was the fact that my source is still holding my system back. Even my 851C doesn't perform up to snuff compared to say Al's Ayon (or so I'm told, the PWD). Guess there goes more of my money. Damn you Head-fi. 

I think it'd funny that you mentioned Nick saying something about your grin. He did the same thing to me when I was grinning listening to my own system with the Ayon CDP. The violin's sounded amazing on my Krauss stuff, and vocals took a nice step up quality wise, too.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #138 of 163
Impressions and pics tomorrow, just got home and am tired. Traffic on the way back to OKC was awful. From a few miles north of Northwest Highway's entrance to 35E to middle of Denton I was in a pack of cars going 10-30 mph. Dreadful. I didn't spot a single Oklahoma tag so it wasn't Sooner fans.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #139 of 163
All the Texas fans on their way to join the lynch mob.

Quote:
Impressions and pics tomorrow, just got home and am tired. Traffic on the way back to OKC was awful. From a few miles north of Northwest Highway's entrance to 35E to middle of Denton I was in a pack of cars going 10-30 mph. Dreadful. I didn't spot a single Oklahoma tag so it wasn't Sooner fans.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #140 of 163
New area welcome sign:" Welcome to DFW. We hope you're not in a hurry to get anywhere!"
That stretch of roadway is always horrid. I'm happy you made it home safely.
It was an interesting meet.
Last meet was a Sennheiser lover's dream. This one was a "stats" meet.
Al's rig , as always, was a must listen. The HE-60 is one of my favorites.
The Stax stuff is more balanced across the range, but the HE-60 brings the bass.
The Stax top of the heap was great to listen to. The pictures will tell the story better than I can.
I enjoyed talking to the other head fi folks. It's always a joy to meet them.
Thank you Nick for a fine meet.

BTW, the wife emptied my wallet out as soon as I got home.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #141 of 163
Didn't you do that at the meet? :D

Quote:
New area welcome sign:" Welcome to DFW. We hope you're not in a hurry to get anywhere!"
That stretch of roadway is always horrid. I'm happy you made it home safely.
It was an interesting meet.
Last meet was a Sennheiser lover's dream. This one was a "stats" meet.
Al's rig , as always, was a must listen. The HE-60 is one of my favorites.
The Stax stuff is more balanced across the range, but the HE-60 brings the bass.
The Stax top of the heap was great to listen to. The pictures will tell the story better than I can.
I enjoyed talking to the other head fi folks. It's always a joy to meet them.
Thank you Nick for a fine meet.

BTW, the wife emptied my wallet out as soon as I got home.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #144 of 163
Real nice pics!  I actually can guess what some of the stuff is.

Beautiful table set up.  How many stations were there?

Thanks for your efforts.

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #145 of 163
Great Pics! What a great time you all had!

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #146 of 163
Four stations total (though #3 was a mix & match and should probably count as 2.5):

Cambridge CD -> Cavalli Liquid Lightning -> Stax 009

Ayon CD -> Cavalli Liquid Lightning prototype -> Senn HE-60

Shanling CD/Rotel CD -> Schiit Bifrost/Gungnir -> Bryston BHA-1/Schiit Mjolnir/Mapletree Ear+ HD 250th Anniversary -> Grado SR-225/RS-1/Senn HD800

Audio GD (I think?) DAC -> Stax 01 B/Stax 01 C/Stax 313 -> Stax 202/404/404-LE 

Jerikl liked the Stax rig enough to trade his beloved Grado RS-1's for a set. The meet should be called Attack of the Electrostats!

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #147 of 163
Thanks, Nick! (Wow, somebody like Grados besides me.)

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #148 of 163

Maxvla, in meditative bliss, evaluating the Schiit Mjolnir fed by the Gungnir. Both provided great performance for the dollar and were hardly a "nir" miss... :D

A closer look at Schiitsville. I liked the Gungnir a lot. Worth the money over the Bifrost, IMO. 

That's 1, as in RS-1... fed by the Mapletree Ear+ HD Anniversary Edition.

Nothing escapes the All-Evaluating Eye (and Ear) of Maxvla.

Longtime Head-Fi'er Jerikl returns for a rematch with his Mapletree Ear+ and original Grados. Little did he suspect he would leave forever changed...

Al's mighty tuberolled Ayon CD source. One heavy mutha. But dang... it sounded great. Did I mention I love tubes?

HideousPride and Morbid discussing the magical nature, and price, of the Stax-009.

Yuceka spies Jerikl fidgeting and moves in for the kill... "Seriously man, you need a Stax, and I just happen to have one today..."

Al, beaming like a proud parent, fully confident in the sonic joy his Ayon CD player is about to deliver.

Yeah, OK, they sound better than I remember. But I'm sticking with my HD800's for now, 'stat bastages!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back