Dallas, TX - "Deux for 2012", a not-quite-as-mini meet - Sunday, October 14th
Aug 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
Hello again can fans! As promised, it's time to roll out the plans for Head-Fi "Deux in 2012" in Dallas, TX. Mark your calendars for Sunday, October 14th from 11am to 6:30pm.

The meetup will again be held in a reserved community room near Northwest Highway and Preston Road in Dallas. Drinks and snacks will be provided.

Due to the popularity of the last meet, an adjoining quiet room will be made available this time. It will be completely closed off from the rest of the area for deeper audio evaluations. Quiet room seating can accommodate up to eight listeners. No food or drinks will be allowed in "The Zone".

I will supply a powerstrip but if you have an extra one, please bring it along just in case. Fortunately we had more than enough to go around last time.

For this meet, I will be bringing a HifiMan HE-500 and Decware Taboo amp. Much has been said about the Hazen grid mod ("lucid mode") which provides a sort of natural crossfeed effect. Does it make a difference? You be the judge!

Also on hand will be one of the classic price/performance rigs: Grado SR-225i headphones (w/original bowls) and the Mapletree Ear+ HD special edition #250 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/552710/mad-ear-hd-special-edition-s-n-250) with Sylvania JHS blackplate 5751 (1950's manufacture).

Ready? Set? Onward to October!

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 163
I should have my 009 + LL by this time and I should be able to make it to the meet (as long as Grace is willing, of course). I'll of course bring the new Cambridge 851C as well. Literally completely different from the rig I brought just a few months ago. :D

Bring your CDs ya'll. 

EDIT: Did you PM bomb everyone on the old list I gave you or have you been keeping it up to date?

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 163
That's TX-OU weekend so I will be in town.  Maybe I'll try and swing by but I probably couldn't be able to bring too much equipment.  I will most likely also be very hungover.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 163
Ahaha. It's cool. No need to bring a bunch. 

EDIT: Now in my signature. As usual.

Quote:
That's TX-OU weekend so I will be in town.  Maybe I'll try and swing by but I probably couldn't be able to bring too much equipment.  I will most likely also be very hungover.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 163
PM's sent to all on the master list, with updates added from the original thread. 

Oooooo Stax 009... nice. That one is definitely headed for the deep listening room. From what I've heard, it would be wise to save it for last audition in order to avoid spoiling everything else at the meet. :wink:

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 163
Placed the order with Jack today. I so wanted to invest that money in speakers instead of headphones, but it's unfortunately just not going to work.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 163
Quote:
Placed the order with Jack today. I so wanted to invest that money in speakers instead of headphones, but it's unfortunately just not going to work.

Yeah, but you get so much more bang for the buck with quality cans and amps, IMO.  Getting the right speakers is waay harder and more expensive than the right headphones, IME.  Then there's the frigging room to deal with.  

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 163
Sacre Merd, mes amis!  

Too far a drive for a geezer like me.  Guess I'll wait till next spring.
frown.gif

Love the quiet room idea.  Hope you can keep the annoying can jabber from invading.

I'll just keep reading the thread and drooling.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 163
That is true...But speakers tend to be easier to get deal like this...

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/focal-jm-lab-mezzo-utopia-speakers--2

Basically I could've had 17k speakers for the same price as my 009. :D

Quote:
Yeah, but you get so much more bang for the buck with quality cans and amps, IMO.  Getting the right speakers is waay harder and more expensive than the right headphones, IME.  Then there's the frigging room to deal with.  

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 163
Quote:
That is true...But speakers tend to be easier to get deal like this...

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/focal-jm-lab-mezzo-utopia-speakers--2

Basically I could've had 17k speakers for the same price as my 009. :D

Bet those mezzos (mezzi?) don't sound as good.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 163
Saw a Texas meet in MorbidToaster's signature and here I am. Hi all! Am very new to Dallas area, just moved here about 2 months ago for work and would love to attend.

However, it might conflict with a wedding (at which I'm best man for, so skipping out is not possible) that is set for October 13th, so am a tentative yes at best.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back