Dallas June 9 Impressions thread
Jun 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #31 of 59
I haven't done much pure signal processing work since college, but I got a kick out of the EQ/headphone mimicking experiment that Scott had set up in the corner.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #33 of 59
Subscribe to this thread (and/or the previous Dallas thread). I'll reply to both with the next date. Should be late September/early October. Will be here before you know it!

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:
Subscribe to this thread (and/or the previous Dallas thread). I'll reply to both with the next date. Should be late September/early October. Will be here before you know it!

Bummer. I couldn't go to the "Not Quite in the Over Yet" meet on account of school, likewise the annual Austin meet, and the same is going to happen with this one.  :/

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #35 of 59
Okay, so since ill probably never get a chance fo write an in depth impressions about the cans, ill just talk about a couple.
1. Sennheiser Orpheus. Absolutely incredibly. Thanks Headroom for bringing this amazing piece of gear. Ill probably never get a chance to see one ever again, so it was an incredible experience. Super detailed, and clean sound sig. Soundstage was incomparable. Completely different breed of can.
2. Sennheiser HD800. WOWEE. Incredibly clean, I liked Nicks setup best. Beautiful amp BTW. Soundstage is massive. Giuseppes Dies Irae from his Requiem was absolutely incredible on these headphone. Out of body experience and an incredibly powerful experience. This movement of this opera is my go to for power. Incredible is all I can say.
3. Audeze LCD-2. Not gonna lie, and I know I'm gonna get deaththreats from the Stax boys and Senn-heads, but I liked this headphone the best. (This was out of the Burson Soloist, playing Pink Floyd lossless, cant remember the owners name, he also had a pair of T1's, also a fantastic headphone.) Everything was just right on these cans. Sound signature was just dreamy. I love my Grados, don't get me wrong, I like aggressive, but the Audezes nice laidback and relaxing sound sig is my endgame. The soundstage was just correct. Not as massive as the top-o-the line Senns, but just right for the majority of what I listen to. The bass was powerful, but instead of being an object of itself, it was a flavor blended in with the other pitches, just how I like it. The mids. Of lordy the mids. YUM. Absolutely the best. I loved them. That's all I have to say. The highs weren't as present as id have liked, but they were verrry clear which I liked. Coulda been a bit sparkly, but that really is my one complaint with these INCREDIBLE headphones. The comfort was great, I liked the extra weight, just like a high quality lens, it felt more professional and higher quality than even the Sennheiser HE-x0's. The Audeze headphones are my new lust item. The song I absolutely moved the most to was Pink Floyds 'Time', the second intro after that long guitar solo that goes 'And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking' is the single-most powerful moment in any song ive heard. With the Audezes it was like an epiphany, a moment of divine intervention,and an orgasm all rolled into one. The Audezes are my favorite headphone. Will be purchasing when my life will allow it. Thank you owner of those headphones for letting me listen to these.

And that's all I really had time to 'extensively' listen to. I missed the AKG K702 Annie's, the HiFiMans, and the Fostex Th600s.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #36 of 59
It was Justin of Headamp, not headroom, that brought the HE-90 and they belong to Purk, a member on HF from Georgia.

And if you get a LCD-2 you will soon grow tired of it :wink:

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #37 of 59
It was Justin of Headamp, not headroom, that brought the HE-90 and they belong to Purk, a member on HF from Georgia.

And if you get a LCD-2 you will soon grow tired of it :wink:

oh thanks. Well, thank you to Justin for coming all the way to Dallas with that gorgeous gear, and thank you Purk for letting him take your Orpheus.

Why will I grow tired of an LCD2? I thought it was honestly the best headphone id ever heard. I'm not that keen on incredibly accurate detail retrieval like on the Stax, or monumental soundscape like on the Senns, but the overall signature on the Audezes was as close to perfect as id ever heard.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #38 of 59
oh thanks. Well, thank you to Justin for coming all the way to Dallas with that gorgeous gear, and thank you Purk for letting him take your Orpheus.

Why will I grow tired of an LCD2? I thought it was honestly the best headphone id ever heard. I'm not that keen on incredibly accurate detail retrieval like on the Stax, or monumental soundscape like on the Senns, but the overall signature on the Audezes was as close to perfect as id ever heard.

Ortho wow factor. It's a thing.

I agree with Chris. Was there a TH900 this time? That'd be the one to hear vs an LCD 2.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #39 of 59
Oh, huh. Well, I think next meet I might hog the Audeze of there's one there.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #40 of 59
Ah, the wanderings of youth... all of you, on your own path(s)...    :wink:

Good thing there is no destination.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:
Okay, so since ill probably never get a chance fo write an in depth impressions about the cans, ill just talk about a couple.

[snip]

3. Audeze LCD-2. Not gonna lie, and I know I'm gonna get deaththreats from the Stax boys and Senn-heads, but I liked this headphone the best. (This was out of the Burson Soloist, playing Pink Floyd lossless, cant remember the owners name, he also had a pair of T1's, also a fantastic headphone.) Everything was just right on these cans. Sound signature was just dreamy. I love my Grados, don't get me wrong, I like aggressive, but the Audezes nice laidback and relaxing sound sig is my endgame. The soundstage was just correct. Not as massive as the top-o-the line Senns, but just right for the majority of what I listen to. The bass was powerful, but instead of being an object of itself, it was a flavor blended in with the other pitches, just how I like it. The mids. Of lordy the mids. YUM. Absolutely the best. I loved them. That's all I have to say. The highs weren't as present as id have liked, but they were verrry clear which I liked. Coulda been a bit sparkly, but that really is my one complaint with these INCREDIBLE headphones. The comfort was great, I liked the extra weight, just like a high quality lens, it felt more professional and higher quality than even the Sennheiser HE-x0's. The Audeze headphones are my new lust item. The song I absolutely moved the most to was Pink Floyds 'Time', the second intro after that long guitar solo that goes 'And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking' is the single-most powerful moment in any song ive heard. With the Audezes it was like an epiphany, a moment of divine intervention,and an orgasm all rolled into one. The Audezes are my favorite headphone. Will be purchasing when my life will allow it. Thank you owner of those headphones for letting me listen to these.

[snip]

Wow! You've helped me appreciate them all the more. I've had them for two years and have't outgrown them yet, but I understand how Chris could have found them to be an impermanent affair for his tastes. In my case, everything I hear fails to compete with the LCD-2, with one exception, I heard at the meet: JazzerDave's HD800 rig - and I do mean the entire chain:

Photos I found online:

Perhaps it would turn out to be a temporary love affair, as the LCD-2 was for Chris, but as the owner of the DACmini CX > Soloist > LCD-2 rig you loved so much, I can tell you that, for me, JazzerDave's care and feeding of the HD800 was easily "Best In Show!"

But again, I'm very pleased to read your comments on my rig. By the way, if you want the LCD-2 to sound a little brighter, with a little more definition in the treble, a little more forward (first row seating instead of fourth row), and with, believe it or not, a little more dynamics ... Remove the Soloist from the picture!  I'm dead serious. Just use the DACmini's amp section instead! Take note, however, that my DACmini CX has the 1-Ohm output impedance mod (vs the standard 10-Ohm output impedance), which makes the amp section more neutral (less warm) - perfect for the LCD-2, in my opinion. And that $100 mod is a lot cheaper than buying a Soloist. (I'm about to sell mine - I have no use for it.)

smile.gif

Mike

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #43 of 59
Hi folks.  The wood-faced O2/ODAC combo was built by me.  After all the positive comments, I kind of miss it now.  Had to go to raise funds for other toys, though.

For anyone interested, the build was basically straight from the BOM.  Only things I changed were a couple resistors when I could (still just Vishay Dales), a higher spec'd wallwart (maybe better headroom?), and silver plated copper wiring internally (just milspec stuff from ebay).  Maybe it was the faceplates -  most things woodied sound better :)

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #44 of 59
Well...glad to see and hear that you all had such a great time. I was recently at the Atlanta meet and Justin did NOT have the he90 (and yes I do hold him personally responsible for this omission 
size]

But I did notice that the gracious owner of said hp's live just down the street from me. 
size]
 (evil plan emerges) 
size]

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #45 of 59
The HE-90 should have been there, or at least it could have been. They belong to Purk, who was at the Atlanta meet. Blame him if they weren't there :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back