Dallas June 9 Impressions thread
Jun 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 59
Well, the 90 and the 60 were surprisingly light, which always seems to have an impact on our subjective value judgements, but yes, the 60 even looks cheap - a wolf in sheep's clothing.

It was my first meet and I heard a lot more gear than I had imagined I would - great gear!

Thanks again for hosting us Nick and thanks to everyone else for all the effort expended to get your rigs there and set them up!

Mike

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 59
Quote:
Is it just me, or did the HE60 feel really cheap? It didn't feel like its price...

You will feel that the HE90 is cheap too when those pleather pads start flaking.  In fact, I installed new set of pads on the HE90 prior shipping out to Justin.  This also happen to the headband by the way.  

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #18 of 59
Yeah, i replaced the earpads and headband a few years back on the he60, but if beyer can use leather... geez. Maybe the NEW Senn stats will have leather. :wink: Just fanning the non-existent flames.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #19 of 59
So, I brought along my Sony DSLR A100, to take some snapshots. I only managed to stay an hour, so I was frantic to try all the fantastic gear there, so I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked. But without further ado, let's get started.

The Journey:
So, I got up around 7 and began packing gear that I was going to bring. I left around 10:00-ish, coming from McKinney. The drive was pleasant and didn't take too long.

About 40 minutes in, I see a building, and I think HEY, that must be it!

Nope.... But, we did pass by Half Price Books, the original one, and for anyone looking for vinyl, go check this place out. It's massive.

At last, our site appeared, and I only just managed to snap a DECENT shot of it.

We walked through the front door, took a right at the counter, and walked till we saw this beautiful sight:

We'd arrived. Albiet an hour late, but we arrived.

The Meet
So, we walked through the doors and were greeted open arms by many smiling faces, with Nick in the middle. Greetings were thrown around, hands shook. I was LITERALLY shaking with excitement. Image, you're top can for months now has been a Grado SR80i, and you walk in a room, and see a BEAUTIFUL tube amp driving not only a SR009, but an Orpheus as well! It was mindblowing. So, here's some pictures.

BTW I'm not good at names, so I wont be naming any of the gentlemen in these pictures.

Big thanks to everyone there, y'all made me feel a part of the crew. I've got to go know, I'll be back later with headphone impressions. Thanks again y'all!

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 59
had fun trying out some headphones and amps that i'll never be able to afford.  those he90's are really something special.  i really loved how the liquid glass sounded with my hd600's.  i had heard that they scaled really well with better amps, and now i'm a believer.  that thing took the transparency to another level.

it was very nice to meet all of the folks there.  i don't have anybody else in nearby to talk audio gear with, and it was very pleasant to talk audio with everybody.  and a big thanks to Nick for organizing the meet.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #21 of 59
I don't think I've ever seen the back of my head while wearing headphones before. Thanks for a totally new perspective! Haha seriously glad you, John, and Scott could make it. Hopefully we'll have a turntable next meet so we can spin some of your vinyl.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 59
I don't think I've ever seen the back of my head while wearing headphones before. Thanks for a totally new perspective! Haha seriously glad you, John, and Scott could make it. Hopefully we'll have a turntable next meet so we can spin some of your vinyl.
yeah hopefully. I REEEEALLY wanted to hear 'La Villa Strangiato' from vinyl to electrostatic.

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 59
The HE90 -- what a pleasant surprise. Never thought I'd have a chance to listen to a set!

What I was really impressed with, though, was the Fostex TH600. I normally have to EQ heavily to bring the bass frequencies up to my taste, but I felt these were spot-on. I suppose it's that Denon D5000 heritage.

... And now I'm planning to make/find a ESP950--->Stax adapter for the next meet.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #25 of 59
Thanks to all.  Enjoyed all the cans, equipment and conversations.

Travis (and others in the Austin area who didn't make it), you should have jumped in that car heading up I-35 early Sunday morning.  Although blocked for almost an hour by three Dallas police cars "assisting" the not-too-busy freeway repair crews (no doubt on double time) on the way back home, there was no risk of contracting hepatitis.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #26 of 59
HE90s!  I picked the wrong weekend to go out of town.  Looked like a fun meet, good job Nick!  Will keep an eye out for the next one.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #28 of 59
Looks like it was a lot of fun.  Does anyone have BHSE vs. LL2 impressions?

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #29 of 59
Big thanks to everyone at the meet!  It was my first, but definitely not my last.  

Everyone was very kind, helpful, informative, and generous.

Honestly, I was kind of overwhelmed by all the equipment.  I tried to focus on what I was looking for, in my price range, but someone kept insisting I listen to these other crazy-outta-my-league things (thanks a lot, Bill).  I'm glad I got to hear them all, though... I'll probably never see those HE90s again.  And now I have a great benchmark.

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10191463/

And yeah, I went out and got some of that habanero salsa, too.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

http://www.salsaxochitl.com/pages/products/habanero.html

VERY HOT. But also super delicious. Gotta be in my top 3, maybe 2, of all time. I'll be sure to have some on hand for the next meet.

I buy mine at Central Market. Lasts a long time. Also good to spoon a little into a bowl of weak salsa. Instant upgrade.

Ordered. 

I'm Jamaican, and we cook with a good deal of spice, so wasn't bothered by the heat. The guy I was talking to (can't believe I forgot his name. Really interesting fellow) had the funniest expression on his face when he watched me take bite after nonchalant bite. 
biggrin.gif

Again, thanks for the great meet, Nick. I'm especially glad that you're also tall. I don't know if you noticed that I stood beside you a fair bit as to not stand out so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back