Dallas Head-Fi meet - Saturday, August 3rd and Sunday, August 4th
Jul 16, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 53
Hi everybody. It sounds like this meet will be full of high-end gear. Is anyone interested in playing around with a Sony D-555? I know it's only a portable, but I am extremely curious to see how it competes as both a digital source (the line out) and a headphone amp (through the phones out).

I'd be willing to ship the player to Dallas in a heartbeat if one or more of the attendees were to post a mini review of it. I have the manual and the original power adaptor too, just in case. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

-Jasper

P.S. Unfortunately, I don't have any quality miniplug interconnects, so you're on your own on that one.

Jul 17, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #17 of 53
As I don't know my schedule for August yet, I don't know if I can make it. As a newb I think this would be a great learning experience for me, so I hope to make it.

Anyway, I'm volunteering my Tangent built all-out META42. I've already talked with Nick Dangerous about bringing it by anyway if I can't make it, although I heard from Tangent that kelly has one too.

Also I have a Sony D-EJ1000 if anyone's interested.

Michael

Jul 17, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #18 of 53
The McCormack is officially not coming. It's found a new owner who can love and care for it better than I. You cretins don't care anyway.

Tangent is sending me his META42 to audition but I have not officially obtained permission to bring it to the Dallas meet. I need to do so.

I think someone else will be bringing a JMT built META42 as well.

Jul 20, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 53
Ok, where do we stand with everything?

Odds are high that the Sugden will be in attendance. FedEx Ground, the only people more evil than UPS, are currently holding the Sugden hostage but I should have it sometime this week--it's in Dallas, I just can't get to it.

I'm going to the post office in a little bit to send my XA777ES off to be modded but Dparrish will be bringing his.

My Bolder-modified ART DI/O with the Bolder PSU are here and are confirmed for attendance.

Where do we stand on the stuff from Headroom? Can they send us an EAR?

What about the TwinHead?

And what's the status of the Oris system? You've been awfully quiet about that.

Jul 23, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 53
The Sugden Headmaster has [expletive] finally [expletive] arrived so it is finally confirmed for appearance.

It's a very smooth amp, even right out of the box. I'm currently burning it in with Motorhead's Snake Bite Love.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 53
I have in my hands one of Tangent's META42s and it will be making an appearance at the Dallas meet.

From the sounds of it, there may well be two or three other META42s (in various configurations) making appearances as well.

I will post again if I can confirm any other amps myself.

If any of you guys are bringing anything else, please reply to the thread.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 53
Just wondering what time this is gonna be on Saturday and Sunday... and if we have confirmed the ASL products and the Headroom stuff. I can make it part of the day Saturday and all day Sunday. Not sure what I'll bring, 'cause I don't have much anymore...
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, some times would be great so I can figure out when I can make it. Thanks for hosting this time Nick!

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 53
Nick
What about the equipment? Specifically are any of the following confirmed for appearance?

Oris
smily_headphones1.gif

EAR HP-4
ASL TwinHead

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #26 of 53
ORIS: Oris is working but is in a 55% state. Cables and connectors are "hacked". Only one Paraglow is up and running... the other *should* be ready by meeting time. If not, the Parasound can do stand-in duty. Lowther cones need to be tweaked. Bass filter needs to be rebuilt with new cap values. Oris chambers need extrusion adjustments. Bass cabinets need stuffing. Room needs acoustic treatments. Eventually, active crossover needs to be implemented. Paraglow tube rolling to do.

That's about all that's left.
rolleyes.gif

HEADROOM: Headroom has not confirmed exactly what they will be shipping. I'll check in with them soon.

TWIN HEAD: Tash emailed me a few days ago confirming that it will be making an appearance.

(heads back to work)

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #27 of 53
Dallas Head-Fiers,

If you could tell me what you think in a few of the following comparisons between headphones, (if you have time) then it would be much easier to talk about what you heard, and not just discuss based on speculation and other people’s opinions on the headphones. And, I would be EVER so greatful!!

These following headphones have been the focus of some major, in depth discussions of the past and some of you should form opinions about how they compare to each other, so with that in mind, a few suggestions for headphones to compare are . . .

HD600 vs. W100
Some questions to have in mind: Which is more transparent and makes you feel more like you’re there ?

W100
Some issues in regards to the W100’s sound that have been discussed A LOT—and, well, I’d really love to see some more opinions on what you guys think about the W100. For ex: Is the W100 colored? Is it as transparent as people say it to be? Does it have a recessed midrange? (I’m really curious to hear what people have to say about this one.) Also, if anyone happens to have time, how does the W100 sound with an all-out META-42?
biggrin.gif
Eek, that is a lot of questions!!
eek.gif
But please! I’m begging you!!
tongue.gif

HD-600 vs. K501
This has been discussed way to much, and it needs to be put to rest- or at least people need to A/B them ore something.

The Sony MDR-R10
Is it simply myth or is this headphone really the King of Dynamic Headphones? I think I already have an idea about what the answer to this question will be, though, but still . . .

RS-1 vs. W100
Well, this is not a huge deal, so if you have time . . . but it is a very interesting comparison that I did once before, and I’m curious to know what others think of the two compared . . .

Anyway, I lam really looking forward to hearing about this meeting, and I would really appreciate it if you guys could address a few of the aforementioned headphone comparisons- it would be wonderful if we could settle some of those disputes!

Thanks so much!

Regards, Luke

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #28 of 53
QG
Many of us have already made the aforementioned comparrisons and posted about them. I think the only way to put the issue to rest is for you to do the comparrisons yourself since you didn't like our answers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Many of us have already made the aforementioned comparrisons and posted about them. I think the only way to put the issue to rest is for you to do the comparrisons yourself since you didn't like our answers.

Correction, then. Those who have not yet made the aforementioned comparisons, I encourage you to do so. Obviously if you have made the comparisons already, well, you know . . .

And for the record, Kelly, I'm not trying to 'convert' anybody to like the W100; I'm curious about people forming new opinions. I need no self-esteem boost for my headphone, it stands quite well among other 'phones in my opinion- but evidently not in yours.

Alll in all, I was just trying to make some suggestions for a few interesting comparisons, for those who have not yet made them already. Sorry to interfere as I did. I didn't mean for my post to seem like a syllabus for your meet-- actually I think it's pretty obvios that you know which headphones to compare anyway. Stupid me.

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #30 of 53
I think the R10 will be a matter of who is allowed to touch them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am surprised you had no interest in the Grado HP-2...as far as headphones go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back