Dallas Head-Fi meet - Saturday, August 3rd and Sunday, August 4th
Aug 4, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #46 of 53
17 straight hours. I'm headed to bed.

Quick thoughts:

#1 - TwinHead and RKV get top honors in tube amp domain. RKV has the edge with bass, TwinHead has all-around tickle your spine wonderfulness. It's a tie. Gotta try 'em both. Tube rollers will want the TwinHead since it uses E88CC and 2A3 tubes. Pop a pair of meshplate 2A3's and vintage Amperexes in there and your sanity would be forever lost.

#2 - Headroom Max and Sudgen Headmaster take top honors in solid-state amps. I prefer the Max due to its crossfeed F/X and wonderful bass. It was a tough call. Sudgen needs more bass, dammit!

#3 - Bolder tweaked ART DI/O is awesome! Channel Islands Audio DAC comes in a reasonably close second. Despite this, it should be considered. The VDA-1 has great features like easy auto external sync lock and both coax and optical inputs. The blue LED looks cool, too.

#4 - Grado RS-1 is better than the metallic sounding SR-325. Hmmmm... wood housing vs. aluminum housing, go figure. Both rock with the Melos SHA-1 and Mapletree Ear+.

#5 - Sony R10 is the world's best dynamic headphone... but not by a mile. Maybe by a hundred yards or so. Zelkova wood be damned, the asking price is just too high. Should be $950, new, tops.

#6 - Oris. Scary good. Change of pants required. Mozart is alive and in my living room. Hi Wolfgang, how are you? Want a Coke?

Mozart likes Coca-cola.

Good night! Edwin really went the distance tonight. He was here for at least 14 hours!

Aug 4, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #47 of 53
Hey Nick,

Sounds like you had some great fun!

Post some pics of the Twinhead whenever.

I also have three more specific questions regarding the Twinhead. How is the locking jack on the front? It's a Neutrik clone...

Also, what's the pot/remote control like plus how does the thing function as a preamp?

Do you happen to have any shots of the innards?

The thing looks huge in the photos, probably as large as an AQ1005DTI.

As for Mozart and Coke he probably wouldn't like it... It would set off his tourette's syndrome. If you give me your Oris however I can verify this
biggrin.gif

Oris is $12,500 AU here ($6,250 USD) Hot damn... I want one...

Aug 4, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #48 of 53
Nick (and other Dallas peeps)
Let's start a new thread in the General forum when you're ready to post more comments. Hardly anyone checks this area of HeadFi.

evilktulu
Honestly, if you can get it for $6k US over there, I'd say it's probably still a really good value. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back