Dallas / Ft. Worth Meet #6 Impressions
Jan 27, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 66
Well I must say I had fun, and thats all that really matters. Thanks to Alex (Ak-Zip) for setting up the meet, and the stand.

I was very impressed with the 580's that had the foam mod/grills. It really does make a difference guys. So much clearer but still really fun to listen to.

I would say my favorite dynamic single end headphone - would be the 580's. Great price/performance.

Dynamic Balanced end headphone would of been the L3000, just so much fun. Rage of the Machine sounded gorgeous. I can only imagine something with bass heavy music (techno?).

Stax - I don't know, the O2's were nice, clear, but just not very fun, almost a little boring. The HE-60's had me at the vocals, I cannot believe how great those can's can play it. But however the K0SS electric can was just unbelieve, I would of thought it cost much much more. Vocals on it were almost the same if not better then the HE-60. (yes pabbi1, But i love senn).

I really wanted to try Marc's Grado/amp combo, those tubes were enormous!

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mach46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
al, lemma know when the blue hawaii is back in full swing would love to get it a listen, ill bring the zana.

You are on... mini-meets are much easier to schedule.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #19 of 66
Great photos - so clear - and glad you all had such a terrific meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The HE-60's had me at the vocals, I cannot believe how great those can's can play it. But however the K0SS electric can was just unbelieve, I would of thought it cost much much more. Vocals on it were almost the same if not better then the HE-60. (yes pabbi1, But i love senn)...

Can definitely relate to those comments. When I bought Alex's 950s as a 'back up' should I ever have to send the HE60s away I knew there'd be a difference but I was surprised how close they came in performance (not comfort, though they are still nice).

I still think the HE60s have a percentage or two better vocal performance but those Koss's are a very affordable surprise package, particularly when recabled with a Stax connector (Thanks, Alex!
biggrin.gif
).

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #20 of 66
Well I just got back home, and got my gear unpacked and setup.
This was another great meet. Not as many people, but the people that were there were great, as was the gear. Probably my favorite meet to date.

Great pics wquiles! I didn't even bother after seeing your awesome camera.

I came away with some new revelations.

The first is that the Omega II is not my favorite headphone any longer. I thoroughly enjoyed Marc's Koss stats, and they even toppled the O II's in my mind. They were more up front and engauging than the Stax IMO. Of coarse Marc had his special Kevin Gilmore tweak of running them at a higher voltage, and they were driven by his uber cool hot rodded KGSS.

The second revelation is that the L3000 is now off of my wish list. While there is no denying that it is an amazing headphone, and it was just spectacular driven by the balanced β22, I found it just too genre specific to warrant the price for me. While I loved it for rock and blues, I didn't care for the immense bass on other genres like jazz and heavy vocal music. The balanced pair that were at the meet were absolutely stunning though, and those Furutech XLR jacks were dead sexy!

The last and most shocking revelation of all is that I'm a Sennheiser guy.
eek.gif
I had wanted to give Senns another chance now that my gear is at another level completely since the last time I briefly owned some 650s. I have heard over and over how well the Senns scale, and while I was admittedly sceptical, I tried my best to have an open mind.
Well guess what?... You Senn guys were right, and I admit I was wrong about them. I felt like I was listening to a completely different headphone when balanced and driven from the β22. I know I haven't been all that kind in my impressions of Senns before now, but Brothers and Sisters that has changed in a major way. I'm a convert! I first tried some 650s balanced and plugged into my rig, and my jaw dropped! No veil whatsoever, in fact they were forward and involving like I never believed possible.
Next I tried Al's 600s with balanced cables, and I found I preferred them to the 650, although I liked them both. And finally I tried some 580s with Alex's mod, and that was my favorite of all. The 580 is basically identical to the 600 sound wise, but I prefer the mat Black to the granite Blue. Alex's foam removal mods added a sparkle that I really enjoyed, and I preferred the modded version to stock in every way.
I liked the Senns so much in fact that I bought a pair of 580s on the spot. Tomorrow I'll order 600 grills and new pads, and I'll remove the paint from the headband ala Kramer. They just look all business in mat Black IMO.
Alex's V3 cables were incredible, and are on the wish list now that soft Nylon sleeving is an option (I just don't like the noise I get from TechFlex rubbing against my shirt).
Michael Buble was just spectacular on the balanced 580 through my "Epic Opus" and β22, and I think these will see a lot of use in my system.

Other uber lovely goodies included Marc's absolutely stunning vinyl spinner. I had a chance to hear his TT rig at his house the day before the meet, while it was in it's normal environment and the setup was tweaked to perfection. Not only is the Nottingham drool worthy, but his self built phono stage was equally spectacular. Marc's entire rig really impressed me, and his audio savvy is remarkable.
We've met before at an Austin meet, but this time I had the pleasure of meeting his lovely family, and it really brought a sense of joy to my heart to watch him interact with his very inquisitive young son, and realize that there still are some people in the world that take parenting very seriously. His level of patience and devoted interest in his children is inspiring.

The other Mark's new Eddie Current amp was just gorgeous to behold, but sadly I didn't get over to the table to listen to it. I'm kicking myself for that. As usual at these meets I spend too much time talking.

The prototype Grado RS-1 that Alex brought was really cool. I definitely enjoyed the sound. I'm always left wondering how I'd feel about long session comfort with Grado's, and I may have to explore that soon.

Al always has something stop working at these meets, and this time it was the Blue Hawaii, before I got the chance to listen. The Millet Monster Maxx amp/DAC and Senn 600 rig was a real kick though, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! His new CD player was fantastic! I'm not usually as happy with CD players vs. separate transport/DAC rigs, but I could be very happy with the Azure 840C. It was very detailed with fantastic bass. Tight and fast, just like I like it.

More to come after I gather my thoughts.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 66
Looks like you guys had a really nice meeting.
biggrin.gif

Great pictures as well.

But tell me, what am I seeing here?
IMG_4016.JPG

Some kind of electrostatic amplifier, driving a Stax SR-007, SR-404 or 4070...

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nicest KGSS in the world
tongue.gif

Thanks!
That one certainly look far better than the HeadAmp KGSS, and probably better sounding as well.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The second revelation is that the L3000 is now off of my wish list. While there is no denying that it is an amazing headphone, and it was just spectacular driven by the balanced β22, I found it just too genre specific to warrant the price for me. While I loved it for rock and blues, I didn't care for the immense bass on other genres like jazz and heavy vocal music.

This basically were my impressions for all the Grados I listened too. I have to give props to the Grado RS1 + Zana Deux though for rock, but I found it strange that the forward nature totally collapsed when listening to classical music and things started sounded more distant and less sharp. This is very strange, I've never noticed this on any headphone before, but it was quite distinct. Even the MS2i that are supposedly decent for classical exhibited the same phenomenon. Alex quickly said I was listening to the wrong type of music, and he was right on the money. I'm not sure if he would recommend any Grado for classical, but at this point I would say that if you went this direction, then you're going to be on a long (and lonely) journey for the right amp and source combination. Start off by disregarding all advice around here and you'll be one step closer to finding a good combination.

One thing I have to leave you guys to chat about is the fact that headphones are inherently less resolving than speaker setups. I really believe this now. I think the point of diminishing returns comes up a lot quicker in this hobby that we might like to believe. I remember a thread about this being started around here a while back, and I didn't even really read it... but it would be nice to have an intelligent discussion about it here.

I am really busy this week, but have a few pages of notes compiled after the meet that I will post here.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 66
Marc, there is no question about speakers being better than HP - even the system in my Acura sounds better (at times) that my best headphone combos (different on different days). Problem is, the expenditure required simply dwarfs headphone stuff, so there isn't as much capability to hear (and build) different combos. Oh, and let's not forget the expenditures required on a proper room... though mine is on tap in the next year or two.

Then we'll have roving mimi-meets to listening rooms - requiring, of course, the proper libations, well, and arguing about what to listen to. THAT is the beauty of headphones - you get to listen to whatever you dang well please, for as little or as much as you like.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marc, there is no question about speakers being better than HP

right, what I meant was that it is easier to ascertain differences in cables, sources, amps in speaker setups that in headphone setups. I'm not arguing the whole enchilada here, but just from a resolution standpoint.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say to Alex and the rest of the gang is: thanks
wink.gif

Being my first meet, I learned a lot of new things, and I was able to "play" with some very nice equipment. Of course, now I have some ideas as to how to spend more money
eek.gif

Will

Yes! This is usually how its goes. Lurker checks out awesome gear, then upgrades. Next meet, knows what to look/hear for and decides on what other neat things he could buy...

its a vicious cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back