Dallas / Ft. Worth Meet #6 Impressions
Jan 28, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem is, the expenditure required simply dwarfs headphone stuff, so there isn't as much capability to hear (and build) different combos. Oh, and let's not forget the expenditures required on a proper room... though mine is on tap in the next year or two.

I'm not so sure about that, but if you want admittance at a reasonable cost you'll need to do a lot of research.
I have a pair of Paradigm Reference Active 20s that only require a line level input (balanced or RCA), and they defy there $1,800.00 price tag. Robert Hartley said they were the best 6 1/2" two way he'd heard...period, at the time of their introduction. Also in my speaker system are a pair of AV123 Rocket UFW-10 powered subs with 500watts each, and balanced inputs. They total $1,200.00, so for $3,000.00 you can have a pretty nice speaker rig, and use your headphone amp as a preamp. That's less than a lot of us have in our headphone systems. The room issues are admittedly a tougher battle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some sad news. The left side of my RS-1's is shot. I will be calling Grado to see what John can do for me. Hope all goes well.

-Alex-

That bites! You and Al are going to have to look into meet insurance, especially Al.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nicest KGSS in the world
tongue.gif

Truer words were never spoken. That is one sweet sounding KGSS! And the fins standing proud of the bonnet just evokes that 32 roadster with a blower feel, that looks oh so cool. This amp and the Koss with the bumped up voltage was the hit of the meet for me. If I do go stat, this will be the path.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not so sure about that, but if you want admittance at a reasonable cost you'll need to do a lot of research.
I have a pair of Paradigm Reference Active 20s that only require a line level input (balanced or RCA), and they defy there $1,800.00 price tag. Robert Hartley said they were the best 6 1/2" two way he'd heard...period, at the time of their introduction. Also in my speaker system are a pair of AV123 Rocket UFW-10 powered subs with 500watts each, and balanced inputs. They total $1,200.00, so for $3,000.00 you can have a pretty nice speaker rig, and use your headphone amp as a preamp. That's less than a lot of us have in our headphone systems. The room issues are admittedly a tougher battle..

<sigh> Always thinking dynamics... I'm looking at Martin Logan...
tongue.gif

Quote:

That bites! You and Al are going to have to look into meet insurance, especially Al..

Just think of it as an opportunity - something about $1k of Lundahl iron gets me through valleys like this... AND, makes me want to get Marc to build me one - or at least give me a board and his parts list. Hands will be mended this time next week.

Quote:

Truer words were never spoken. That is one sweet sounding KGSS! And the fins standing proud of the bonnet just evokes that 32 roadster with a blower feel, that looks oh so cool. This amp and the Koss with the bumped up voltage was the hit of the meet for me. If I do go stat, this will be the path.

See above - Marc has hit the pinnacle of that design. Seriously. But, I was not as taken by the Koss... while they are excellent, I loved, Loved, LOVED the KGSS, my Azur 840c and the OII (who I always flirted with, but never quite enough to take the plunge). I will NOW take the OII as soon as my wallet can absorb them. That was as good a synergy as I have ever heard in a system - just a crying shame the BH wasn't up for the OII - even though Alex was taken last year with the BH and the OI...
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

I'm looking at Martin Logan...

Love to have you come to FW to audition my Martin Logan Vantages, Al (assuming you're serious about having a taste for some big 'stats). I'm sorry I missed the meet - sounds like you all had another great one!

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Hey Rob. It was a great meet, and some great gear. Sorry you couldn't be there. I hope you'll make the next one, it'll be fun even for a speaker guy.
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Steve. I had actually planned to attend but work kept me away. Miss all you guys!

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #37 of 66
Rob, Alex and I were fondly recalling our mini-meet, and how sweet that McAlister was...
eek.gif

I would love to take you up on that, but it will be a couple of months, as I'm having some maintenance done next Tuesday. Did you get the room configured as well? That will dang sure make me some jealous....

Good to see you still lurking - just goes to show you can never escape completely.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Rob, Alex and I were fondly recalling our mini-meet, and how sweet that McAlister was...
eek.gif

I would love to take you up on that, but it will be a couple of months, as I'm having some maintenance done next Tuesday. Did you get the room configured as well? That will dang sure make me some jealous....

Good to see you still lurking - just goes to show you can never escape completely.

My gear is long gone, but I've never been able to get over my thrice-daily head-fi fix. The new listening area, while far from perfect, is now finished. Just in case you're wondering, here is my current rig:

1. Accustic Arts CDP (no change there!)
2. Plinius Pre-amp (Products - PLINIUS AUDIO - New Zealand Hi Fi Audio Amplifiers)
3. Innersound SS Amp (Welcome to Innersound)

As you know, 'stats love gobs of current. The Innersound is rated at 330 watts 8 ohms, doubles its output at 4 ohms, and is stable down to 1/3 of an ohm.
eek.gif

The door is always open! Who knows, maybe some sort of strange electrostatic headphone v. electrostatic speaker mini-meet might be worthwhile. The door is ALWAYS open.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My gear is long gone, but I've never been able to get over my thrice-daily head-fi fix. The new listening area, while far from perfect, is now finished. Just in case you're wondering, here is my current rig:

1. Accustic Arts CDP (no change there!)
2. Plinius Pre-amp (Products - PLINIUS AUDIO - New Zealand Hi Fi Audio Amplifiers)
3. Innersound SS Amp (Welcome to Innersound)

As you know, 'stats love gobs of current. The Innersound is rated at 330 watts 8 ohms, doubles its output at 4 ohms, and is stable down to 1/3 of an ohm.
eek.gif

The door is always open! Who knows, maybe some sort of strange electrostatic headphone v. electrostatic speaker mini-meet might be worthwhile. The door is ALWAYS open.

How do they sound?

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do they sound?

I don't think I'll ever forget the joy of listening to my ES-1 + Omega II. It was, imho, an outstanding combo. The intimacy of the headphone experience is something that cannot be replicated. To be able to lock out the world and allow oneself to be consumed by the reverie of great music and sound is a pleasure that is harder to accomplish with speakers (particularly with three dogs and a five year old frequently disrupting any serious listening).

Even so, in those rare and precious moments when I am alone with my speaker rig, the soundstage, the visceral oomph from the Martin Logan's internal subs (combined with an ML Depth), the feeling that notes virtually *pop* out of thin air . . . it is bliss. I may continue to fiddle with my upstream components, but the Logans are here to stay!

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

I don't think I'll ever forget the joy of listening to my ES-1 + Omega II. It was, imho, an outstanding combo. The intimacy of the headphone experience is something that cannot be replicated. To be able to lock out the world and allow oneself to be consumed by the reverie of great music and sound is a pleasure that is harder to accomplish with speakers (particularly with three dogs and a five year old frequently disrupting any serious listening).

Even so, in those rare and precious moments when I am alone with my speaker rig, the soundstage, the visceral oomph from the Martin Logan's internal subs (combined with an ML Depth), the feeling that notes virtually *pop* out of thin air . . . it is bliss. I may continue to fiddle with my upstream components, but the Logans are here to stay!

I remember hanging out at my local audio store in the late 80's listening to all the new speakers, and the statement MLs of the time were by far my favorite. The Infinity Beta series (not the giant IRS) held second place, but it wasn't really a close call. They were powered by giant Krell monoblocks, and all I could do was drool thinking one day...I'm still not sure when that day will finally get here.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who listened to the SR200 / Zana Deux / Linn Mimik combo ?

Mark had to leave early, and sadly I didn't listen before he had to pack up. I've heard his Linn before, and it is lovely, but someone else will need to comment on the new Zana Deux.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Sounds like a good rig (pun!)

I would guess it be hard to have a speaker meet, since everyone would be blasting music. Need seperate rooms haha.

So is it more of a 2/1 system or a surround system?

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #44 of 66
Looks like you all had a blast. I am completely speechless though... Steve... a Sennheiser guy!?!? What is this world coming to?
confused.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you all had a blast. I am completely speechless though... Steve... a Sennheiser guy!?!? What is this world coming to?
confused.gif

I'm still reeling myself. And I thought I knew Steve. Alas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back