Dali Headphones
Jan 28, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,006 of 1,056
Anytime the cans are on, at least the amp is working, and the cans' dac is always converting the source unless off or on but plugged via 3.5 (already analog signal). So bluetooth and usb connection means the dac/amp inside the cans is doing the magic.

Feb 4, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,007 of 1,056
Out of curiosity, did you ever do the firmware update to the i06? It's supposed to raise the maximum volume. I've never driven them near flat out and I'm pretty sure hearing damage would result from sustained listening at those volumes.

Have to say, I've never felt the need to EQ the Dali headphones. They seem pretty much spot on out of the box. The Shure Aonic 50 on the other hand, seemed to need some EQ to rescue the lowest frequencies.

Thank you for your questions.

Yes, I did the firmware upgrade. It is loud enough via Bluetooth connection to my phone but I can definitely drive more volume via an external amp, which is amazing because the cans continue to sound amazing with no distorsion even when you surpass the maximum volume you get via Bluetooth connection.

I never felt the need to EQ them either, but I like playing with it from time to time.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,010 of 1,056
Bought the Dali IO 6 headphones some days ago. I do like the sound (just a little bit to mellow in the upper mids, and a «pumping»/pressure in the bass (a problem with all closed backs??), still quite neutral sounding, and with more room/space than e.g the B&O HXs have). BUT - I’ll have to return the set because of 1: A hiss which is present whenever the set is ON, even without ANC turned on - a layer of white noise, mostly in left phone. 2: Even worse; a noise in the left channel which sounds like some kind of electric interference, it comes and goes, but it’s seldom gone for more than a few seconds.

The seller at HifiKlubben said that all bluetooth sets have hiss, it’s to be expected… Well, I borrowed a Sony XM3 and checked just to be sure, they were quiet enough without ANC. So is my other bluetooth set.

Reading this thread, I had been warned about these issues, but I was expecting Dali to have fixed it by now…Or maybe I have just gotten an old batch? I wanted to ask those of you who have had this problem, did you finally get new pairs without these issues?

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #1,011 of 1,056
I've had two pairs, the later ones were in the army green colour, so not early production. Both parts exhibited the same low level electrical noise. This is not something that affects all Bluetooth headphones and the Shure Aonic 50 I also have certainly don't have the use. Personally, I didn't find the noise a problem once music was playing, but it is both a characteristic and a defect, so you should be able to return them

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #1,012 of 1,056
Thanks Chris. Yes, return is no problemo as the store has a 60 days free return policy. And anyway, as you say, this is a defect. Quite surprised, though, that a brand like Dali can live with this?

Listening to dynamic music like jazz, in quiet parts, it’s very audible, so for me a deal breaker.

So, anyone else who has found a set without the noise issue?

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #1,013 of 1,056
Hi Guys!

Does anyone know if wired closed back headphones like SRH940 ,AKG K550 ,DT660,focal elegia with $100-$200 dac would sound much better than Dali io-6 . If so, what headphones and dac would you recommend for classical music in similar price range?

I'm a music student so detail is my prior concern (for analysing harmonies , various voicing sections , articulation... ) ; and I normally listen at middle volume for ear health so I wouldnt need the ones that specialized in producing very loud sound.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,014 of 1,056
Had a listen in the store today. The IO-4 they had was nice and quiet, no hiss that I could hear, but the IO-6 had the same hiss and crackling as my own IO-6s. (Which I will return beause of this). Can’t believe they are still selling the set with this major flaw?!

Or was it an old batch…perhaps new sets are ok?? Has anyone had an IO-6 which is quiet as IO-4, as it should be?

May 1, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #1,015 of 1,056
Hi Guys!

Does anyone know if wired closed back headphones like SRH940 ,AKG K550 ,DT660,focal elegia with $100-$200 dac would sound much better than Dali io-6 . If so, what headphones and dac would you recommend for classical music in similar price range?

I'm a music student so detail is my prior concern (for analysing harmonies , various voicing sections , articulation... ) ; and I normally listen at middle volume for ear health so I wouldnt need the ones that specialized in producing very loud sound.
Almost anything from Focal should be better than the Dalis. I would recommend the Hifiman Sundara, with a decent cheap dac/amp combo it should suffice.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,016 of 1,056
Hiya folks, long time lurker - first time poster here.

Just came to add my experience as well. My pair of IO-4 has developed the dreaded ON/OFF switch fault where the 'phones hardly turn on - need to try maybe 10 times for them to come alive!

While the local distributor has been stellar in terms of support - they acted as a mediator between me and DALI and in a matter of days managed to secure me a replacement unit - i am puzzled by the lack of a refund option from DALI.

When the distributor informed me of DALI's intention to replace my unit i said that i'd much rather prefer getting a refund. The distributor said that if i want a refund i should get in touch with the shop where i purchased them. I promptly did so but i got the same response back even from the shop: no refunds given for a defective pair of headphones - only a replacement unit.

As a side note, there is NO WAY to get in touch directly with DALI themselves. Their website has recently been re-designed and the support/contact page is in shambles. No form to submit a question or e-mail address.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #1,017 of 1,056
Hiya folks, long time lurker - first time poster here.

Just came to add my experience as well. My pair of IO-4 has developed the dreaded ON/OFF switch fault where the 'phones hardly turn on - need to try maybe 10 times for them to come alive!

While the local distributor has been stellar in terms of support - they acted as a mediator between me and DALI and in a matter of days managed to secure me a replacement unit - i am puzzled by the lack of a refund option from DALI.

When the distributor informed me of DALI's intention to replace my unit i said that i'd much rather prefer getting a refund. The distributor said that if i want a refund i should get in touch with the shop where i purchased them. I promptly did so but i got the same response even from the shop: no refunds given for a defective pair of headphones - only a replacement unit.

As a side note, there is NO WAY

That's the norm, refunds are not guaranteed by law if not within the first 14 days from delivery (many retailers extend this period to 30 days though, but it's up to them), after that if the product fails within 2 years you're entitled to have it repaired free of charge or replaced if a repair is not possible.

However, should your item develop the fault again for three (I think it was 3, but not 100% sure) times while still in warranty period (90 days from when you got the replacement pair or 2 years from when you purchased the first unit, the farthest date of the two), then you are allowed to ask to rescind the contract as the good is clearly not fit for purpose.

Rescission of the sale agreement can be exerted by the seller providing the customer with a *partial* refund (they don't have to refund you in full) based on how long the customer has been benefitting of the product (i.e. the longer you've had it, the lower figure you'll get).

At least, for EU countries. Then if you live somewhere else I guess you'll have similar laws for consumer protection, but you better check.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #1,018 of 1,056
@matteventu thanks for your input. I do live in EU so what you posted applies to me too.

I understand that in my case there is no requirement by law for a refund however i had a recent experience where a pair of wireless IEMs from Jabra developed a fault more than a month after purchase and the next day after i handed them at the retailer's service department i was contacted and offered either a replacement or a refund - no questions asked.

So naturally, i thought it was within my right as a consumer to be offered the option of a refund along with a replacement/repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back