Dali Headphones
Apr 4, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #766 of 1,056
-
4- Via Bluetooth: there currently are almost no PCs that support Bluetooth codecs better than SBC. Macbooks do support APTX, but one has do do some tweaking to have that codec enabled. There are however USB Bluetooth dongles available that support APTX(-HD). So generally speaking, making the most out of the DALI when connecting via Bluetooth requires additional technology

Sorry guys for quoting an old post, anyway, I was reading through the thread and I just wanted to clarify this: Windows 10 natively supports aptX, just like macOS.

If you want aptX HD you'll need an external Bluetooth transmitter, but if you don't mind standard aptX, you don't need to do anything.

I might be wrong, but as far as my (outdated) knowledge goes, APTX and above require a dedicated chipset from Qualcomm (formerly CSR). Macbooks have these built-in while (most) PCs settle for an Intel combo of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. And Bluetooth 5.0 to my knowledge does not offer the APTX codec (yet)

Wrong, even though Qualcomm do develop Bluetooth chips, they're not a requirement for aptX (indeed MacBooks don't have Qualcomm/Atheros chips, they're all Broadcom chips).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #769 of 1,056
Damn, I guess I'll try the iO-6 and return them for a h9i if they don't do the job - thank you for your help

I did the same operation and now the IO6 are on my head. In terms of sound i preferred the Dali's in almost every aspect. The H9i has, to my ears, a problem with the bass, which i found slow, fat, with little kick and with a strong tendency to bleed into the mids. That said, i liked them, they were a beautiful and sturdy piece of hardware with a sweet and musical sound, but the Dali's came after and looked like a better version of the same concept (in fact i'd love if they had the h9's shape, less protuberant and, in appearance, built stronger).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #770 of 1,056
I wrote few pages back I tried them on flight. Low frequency noise (like engine noise) was cancelled quite effectively.
I agree, my experience is similar. Planes and their constant loud rumble are the places where i've found more useful Dali's ANC. Walking around the city (you know, when we were young and beautiful, before that coronathing) i haven't found any dramatical improvement to the already good passive isolation. But when traveling by bus, train or plane, if i had the IO4 (accepting the general statement about both sounding equal without ANC), i think that i would clearly miss it (also because it increases a little the bass region and i appreciate that bump in public spaces, where the external lows tend to mask your music's bass).

In sum, ANC is not a strong point in the IO6, but it's, no doubt about it, noticeable in the scenarios it was designed for (constant and low sounds). Other brands, specially Sony, seem to have a much more complex formula capable of reducing much more complex environments in terms of diversity of noises. But, for what i've heard (PX7, Lagoon, Sony M3, H9, Mw 65) with dramatical losses in terms of sound quality (well, not the case of the Master & Dynamic, but ANC on them was as with the IO6, "soft" in benefit of better SQ).

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #772 of 1,056
Just to be sure. Did you try it, or is that an assumption? :wink:

Yes, I took them on a couple of flights, as mentioned in my video review. :)

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #773 of 1,056
My examples:

- In the office, a fairly noisy environment, the passive isolation together with music is good enough. I usually don't hear somebody calling for me if I'm focused and with music, but the ANC activated doesn't block chatter or keyboard typing. However, if I put the ANC on and then I switch it off, I can recognise easily the sounds it was blocking, the constant hum from more than 40 pcs, and the hum from outside. I prefer it off in that case, with the cans in passive via jack with a Meizu dongle, as I enjoy their sound more that way. However, the cans connected via USB, and switched ON necessarily, they sound great too. My aim was isolation and good eq, and after trying the boses, bws, sonys and senns, I preferred the dalis much more.

- At the bus with ANC on, connected via Bluetooth to my phone, they do offer an enjoyable listening, and they block notoriously a certain range of frequencies, but not all the low ones I had to raise the volume a little bit. And something similar, at home, testing the ANC with the kitchen smoke extractor on, they do block perfectly a part of its noise, yet not all of it. But in my opinion and experience, the passive isolation, along with the ANC and the music playing is good enough. I have yet to try them at a train or a plane,

I do recommend to listen them via USB, as that takes use of their internal DAC/amp system, despite you need them switched On, which causes a little of hiss or electrical cracking mostly on the left cup. Even via Bluetooth they're really enjoyable, and after using them daily for 4 months, I can say the bass is just spot on.

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #774 of 1,056
Today I´ve added a „Gun-Metall coloured“ MW65 to my DALI IO6 as „Backup“ headphone. „What a sexy looking headphone“, said my wife. And yes its not only looking very nice, it has a very very pleasant sound signature and a very well designed and luxury looking build quality. A keeper definitely an a perfect alternative to my IO-6. Totally happy that I have chosen the MW65, really nice hardware.
The more and longer I listen to the MW65 the better I really like the sound! It‘s a bit more comfortable than the IO-6 and the sound quality is also really great. The ANC is abolutely fantastic with no loss of sound quality.
I think I found the ideal couple after trying at least 10 or more headphones..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #775 of 1,056
Got my Dali - passive isolation is superb. ANC is VERY good for low rumbling sounds. while it is true higher frequencies are not shut out as much, the passive isolation takes care of that. With music playing, I hear way less than my h8i or Momentum 3s - I can barely hear anything at all.

Sound quality is fantastic. Definitely less bassy than the Sennheiser M3s, but in my opinion that's a good thing. It can bring the bass though, I tried out Billie Eilish's bury a friend and the thump is there. Great for acoustic, jazz and soul. Great soundstage.

I was choosing between these and the H9 (3rd gens) - although the H9 are gorgeous, the SQ on this is so good I'm not going to bother trying the H9s out.

[EDIT] Now that the honeymoon phase has subsided - I tested the noise cancellation - it is actually pretty much non-existent. My initial impressions were simply due to music overpowering the sound. Compared with an extractor fan, video of airplane sounds etc. Passive isolation is still great, which is what gave me the initial impression, but NC might as well not be there for the effect it has. While I really like the sound, I'm probably going to exchange these for B&O H9/H9is.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #776 of 1,056
Hey guys. Having my Dali's IO-6 ever since november last year. Has anyone experienced issues where the sound stops and a white noise (is that what's it called? it's a hissing noise) appears to be playing instead of the music? I'll try to explain, apologies for the lack of technical words. When I have my dali's connected to my PC via bluetooth and say I listen music on browser and then I happen to stumble upon another video/gif/ad that has audio that starts playing at the same time with the music. Once the audio from the video/gif/ad stops playing, the whole audio in my headphones stops and then I start hearing that hissing sound. The only way to get rid of that hissing sound is to either shut them down or to move through the different noice cancelling modes. This is becoming annoying especially when having audio/video calls and then you have to present a video that has audio. The many times I have been forced to turn off and on my headphones while having a zoom call just because of this issue..... Please, anyone, tell me I'm not alone in this;

Kind regards

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #777 of 1,056
Hey guys. Having my Dali's IO-6 ever since november last year. Has anyone experienced issues where the sound stops and a white noise (is that what's it called? it's a hissing noise) appears to be playing instead of the music? I'll try to explain, apologies for the lack of technical words. When I have my dali's connected to my PC via bluetooth and say I listen music on browser and then I happen to stumble upon another video/gif/ad that has audio that starts playing at the same time with the music. Once the audio from the video/gif/ad stops playing, the whole audio in my headphones stops and then I start hearing that hissing sound. The only way to get rid of that hissing sound is to either shut them down or to move through the different noice cancelling modes. This is becoming annoying especially when having audio/video calls and then you have to present a video that has audio. The many times I have been forced to turn off and on my headphones while having a zoom call just because of this issue..... Please, anyone, tell me I'm not alone in this;

Kind regards
I didn't experience this or a similar problem myself and also didn't hear of anything similar. Your best bet is to contact the seller or Dali directly since that seems to be warranty thing.

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #778 of 1,056
I didn't experience this or a similar problem myself and also didn't hear of anything similar. Your best bet is to contact the seller or Dali directly since that seems to be warranty thing.
Could be a browser/Media player specific issue, would also recommend to contact DALI customer service. Maybe they can reproduce that behaviour. Glad to use Mac OS, where I luckily never experienced such issues...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #779 of 1,056
I've also experienced it with my Mac. And i think that, if my memory doesn't trick me, more people narrated the same problem before on this thread. For me it's not important because it's not my normal use of headphones, but i recommend you to search for that testimonies, maybe someone found a solution...

These already very good cans could be clearly improved with some software tweaks here and there. I hope that Dali reconsider their position about not having any kind of software or possibilities of firmware uploads.

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #780 of 1,056
These already very good cans could be clearly improved with some software tweaks here and there. I hope that Dali reconsider their position about not having any kind of software or possibilities of firmware uploads.
I totally agree with you if it comes to software improvements.
I also talked to the Dali support about 1-2 weeks ago and they told me if a firmware update is available they will roll it out and make it available via USB, like they do it on some of their speakers.

Not really relevant here, but my first impression of the Dali support is really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back