Dad's birthday: Best rollerpen for 200$??
Oct 18, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #31 of 42
Oct 18, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #32 of 42
Dont get him a mont blanc if he's prone to dropping things. Before I lost all my mont blancs I broke most of then numerous times. The mont blanc botique stores will fix a smashed up pen for $25 (I think thats what it cost, I havent had one fixed in years), but after a few times it gets to be expensive. I spent more having my rollerball fixed than writing with it. My favorite one was my 75th anniversary special limitied edition ballpoint. Le grand sized, rose gold appointments, mother of pearl star, with a diamond set into the engraved ring. I didnt even break or scratch it once! I miss her...

Rotrings are nice but the really deisel ones can tire out your hand. My favorite was the quattro with the circualr barrel. I had a few of the hexigonal ones too, but those made better weapons then writing utensils.

Sensas are nice, relativly inexpensive, and practical if the grip works with how you write. I have a carbon fiber one and never use it because with the angle I write and and how high up from the tip the grip is placed it just doesnt work out well. I guess I write wierd though because none of my friends have had this problem.

Lamys, Crosses, Tombos, came and went. None really made an impression, except for cross pensils. For some reason I like thin lightweight pencils so the crosses work good for me. A regular cross might not be the best gift though if your looking for something really special.

Someone mentioned Jorg Hyseks. Those are really nice and I would have gotten one but at that point I had lost well over $1000 in pens and decided that It was just a senseless waste of money. Now I use whatever is lying arround or I find in school or someone gives me to borrow. And you know what? I dont think ive lost a single bic all year. Go figure
confused.gif
. Maybe I was just really careless in middle school and shouldnt have had any expensive pens to begin with.

Oct 19, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator
Ok guys, I'm enlisting you to help me spend some mony that I can't afford to spend.

This is a list of pens that I like. Help me pick out one. My budget is only $60 - $70 max. (it can be fudged only slightly)

Parker Sonnet, Pelikan Technixx, Rotring Initial, Cross Century II

I would recommend you increase your budget to $120 and get the Parker Sonnet Cisele (solid sterling crosshatch). It seems a better value and is much nicer than a plastic pen. avalonpens.com seems to have italic nibs in stock, get yourself a really fancy handwriting...
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
200.00 for a pen!!!! I thought 200.00 for headphones was nuts!!!!!

is there a penfi.org??? welcome to penfi, sorry about your wallet!!

My thoughts exactly!!

Maybe there are pen-fi buffs that roll their eyes every time someone picks up a 40 cent bic to write--in which case I'd say their eyes must be stuck to the top of their skull
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 19, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
My thoughts exactly!!

Maybe there are pen-fi buffs that roll their eyes every time someone picks up a 40 cent bic to write--in which case I'd say their eyes must be stuck to the top of their skull
biggrin.gif

LOL, how'd you ever guess?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Bics are definitely the equivalent of stock 'phones to me...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #37 of 42
I can't believe that parker would charge $85 for a plastic pen. Hell, that's what I'm using right now, and I only paid $7 for it. (parker vision rollerball, plus I use the same refills as the expensive pens. Too bad it cramps my hand up too quickly).

That is rediculous. What do you guys think of the pelikan or rotring pens I have in mind. And I can only get the nice parker sonett for christmass.

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #38 of 42
Oh, and wilbur, what is the difference between the italic and regular nibs?

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #39 of 42
dohminator, pen companies will happily charge you hundreds and even thousands of dollars for plastic pens.

An italic nib has a flat tip that produces a nice line width variation of the stoke on the paper. When you draw an `o', it has a thick stroke SW and NE, and a thin stroke NW and SE (assuming you are right-handed). However, most italic nibs don't write as smooth as round tip nibs.

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #40 of 42
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with the Pelikan or Rotring pens, then. those nicer sonnets are just a little out of my price range.

I like to leave my pens in my jeans pocket. Is that going to be bad with a foutain pen.

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #42 of 42
I've got a Cartier Diablo Stainlees Steel Rollerball, and its one of the nicest pens I've ever seen. Montblanc really is the Bose of the pen world... you drop one once and it'll shatter on you. I could probably hammer nails with my pen (of course, that might mess up the platinum trim a bit)
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back