DAC's and quality of USB "input"
Nov 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
More and more modern DAC'S show up with an USB input feature which is something that at least some of us are happy about. But while I was looking for a new DAC, I found that quite a few were commenting or complaining that the sound quality through USB were not as good as with Coax or Toslink.
I know there can be at least to reasons, simply a technical reason meaning how the USB input is implemented, other reason could be mistakes while A/Bing ( level/signal/source(lossy files/format used to compare) ).

Does anybody know a DAC where the USB option is not implemented for top quality mere to have another option to list and that quite a few nowadays are looking/waiting for.

I saw some people "complain" about using the USB input on their Paradisea+ and some went ahead and are now using a USB/COAX or TOSLINK convereter and then use the COAX/Toslink in of their Paradisea+.

Thanks,
smuh

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 10
I've seen just as many complaints about various DACs in the reverse, saying they liked the sound with USB input better. Maybe you need a $500 super mono-crystal OFC copper USB cable.
wink.gif

Ok, being serious, could it have something to do with Windows and the nightmare when it comes to audio?

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 10
The Benchmark DAC1 USB. For my computer setup, the USB input yeilds the same quality result as the Toslink and Coax, if not better. The motherboard's built-in Toslink and Coax may not be as good as my current source (E-mu 1212M), however, and unfortunately I already sold my Benchmark DAC1 USB so I can't do anymore comparisons. But at least I can say the USB input in the DAC1 can't disappoint.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, being serious, could it have something to do with Windows and the nightmare when it comes to audio?

Windows is always the to blame
wink.gif
but from what I have read, in same cases the implementation is not as perfect as it could be. Audible or not, well that's another thing, but most would say it is, just because they know it could have been implemented better
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Benchmark DAC1 USB. For my computer setup, the USB input yeilds the same quality result as the Toslink and Coax, if not better. The motherboard's built-in Toslink and Coax may not be as good as my current source (E-mu 1212M), however, and unfortunately I already sold my Benchmark DAC1 USB so I can't do anymore comparisons. But at least I can say the USB input in the DAC1 can't disappoint.

Why did you sell the DAC1?

About the USB input qualities not being a disappointment: I am quite to very sure that most DAC1 sound perfect through USB, even if the implementation is not as good as it could be or as perfect as everything else in the DAC. But I am still wondering which units offer best quality implementation and which ones come with the quick/cheap/easy implementation.

I have read that there are also different VALab DAC's or "clones" that look more or less the same, but have a not so perfect implementation of USB input.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't know, but I tend to suspect that USB is just an inferior way to transmit data. I use a fairly well-respected PS Audio Digital Link III, and was shocked at the difference between the USB hook-up and toslink on my Mac Pro-- the USB is pretty much unlistenable by comparison. No review I've read suggests that, however.

The real shocker is just how much better my Wadia 170i connected via SPDIF sounds compared to either of those options. It is just seems to have a "blacker background" than any of the computer hook-up methods. It's kind of weird to transfer the files from computer to ipod to listen to them in the best fidelity, but it really works out that way for me.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows is always the to blame
wink.gif
but from what I have read, in same cases the implementation is not as perfect as it could be. Audible or not, well that's another thing, but most would say it is, just because they know it could have been implemented better
smily_headphones1.gif

Why did you sell the DAC1?

About the USB input qualities not being a disappointment: I am quite to very sure that most DAC1 sound perfect through USB, even if the implementation is not as good as it could be or as perfect as everything else in the DAC. But I am still wondering which units offer best quality implementation and which ones come with the quick/cheap/easy implementation.

I have read that there are also different VALab DAC's or "clones" that look more or less the same, but have a not so perfect implementation of USB input.

I sold the Benchmark DAC1 USB because I need money for some computer upgrade (for the upcoming PC release of GTAIV
icon10.gif
, and I think it's time to finally have a LCD monitor...). It's been just a week or so, but I miss it from time to time, especially wanting it back to do a comparison with the difference sources and the Lavry DA-10 DAC that I have now. (I sold one before buying the other.) In terms of cost, the Lavry is a downgrade, but I find the DACs do some different things better than the other.

But back on track, for my particular setup (before I sold it), I find its USB input to be better than motherboard's Toslink and Coax out. Better = less hazy, better focused vocal. The difference is minimal though.
When comparing Coax and Toslink for the same setup, I find Toslink to be cleaner... Although I always read that Coax is better, I guess it's "dirtier" in my case because I have too many live cables and a CRT monitor within an inch of the DAC and the cable!

For a comparison, my Headroom Micro DAC seems to be less picky about the source, with USB and Coax sounding the same to me.

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 10
From a strictly Linux point of view, I find the USB input solution superior to S/PDIF in my system. I wasn't expecting this to be the case. All I really wanted was to use my laptop and a S/PDIF to USB converter to play songs while cooking, without having to change CD's on my fancy Theta Data Basic. The Theta hasn't been turned on since...

I am now using a custom Linux server that sounds incredible. I have direct hardware output (bit-perfect, no mixers) via ALSA, and a low-latency kernel. A gently used Wavelength Brick DAC showed up yesterday and I am *thoroughly* impressed.

I haven't listened to any gear hooked up to a Mac or a Windows machine, so I can't honestly say that Linux is the only reason everything sounds so good.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 10
It has to do with how its implemented. Many companies implement it in a way where its cheaper for them. The Valab for example, they use USB->I2S->TDA1543 conversion where its clones will convert from USB->SPDIF->Dir9001->TDA1543, which is why the clones usb doesn't sound as good. Someone with more knowledge can probably explain it better.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 10
That's what I also read about the Valab and it's clones. But as I said before, there are also other higehr endish DAC's that have this kind of "issue".

And I am not sure if it is always clear to the buyer that they are not getting the best possible quality using USB. At least not before buying I would believe.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 10
It's all in the implementation of the USB port on the DAC. I feel Benchmark has done it right with the DAC1 USB. I use this with my 2ch hifi setup (BAT based). I also use it occasionally with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back