DacMagic 100 Impressions
Jan 20, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #121 of 135
New life of DACMagic 100 with Raspberry Pi Digi + Pro and non Cambridge Audio power supply
As  cyberridz wrote in his review of DACMagic 100 "Quality control issues prevents the DAC from being the best in its price range, as it is unacceptable,...". 
Unfortunately Cambridge Audio is a company that makes their own good audio equipment bad - the build quality of DacMagic 100 power supply is a disgrace. And to add to it the manual warns about using any other power supply. I had problems from day one: sometimes the unit will not power on and after I moved it and reconnected the cable it just died, something got fried inside with a bad smell. After a lot of emails and two months the CA authorized service in Toronto replaced the whole internals of the unit. Go figure how it was less expensive that just sending me a new one.
It was three years ago. Since then it sort of worked: it would not power on from time to time, the sound quality from the same setup was unpredictable: it did sound great one day and crappy the day after. 
I decided to get rid of it but not before using it to to test Hifiberry Digi+ Pro. At the same time I read this https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/dacmagic-psu. It simply says that CA was shipping garbage PSUs to their customers for years.
So I connected the unit to simple $17 regulated DC power supply adding some capacitors for additional stability. Then I tested it with coax SPDIF. 
It was a complete surprise. First of all it looked like the DAC powered on properly first time ever: when you connect the power but before you push the power switch on the DAC all blue lights are supposed to blink. I kept listening to it for the last two weeks and I never heard such a sound quality from DACMagic 100.
It still sells for $300 with the same garbage PSU and you know it may be worth it.  

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #122 of 135
After only listening to the V-dac for the last 7 years I finally bought a DM100. I was not expecting much. However, I am surprised by the clarity of this unit. It makes my V-dac sound down right muddy.
Hopefully I don't have any power problems.

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #124 of 135
Edit: answered my own question.

I love the [new to me] DacMagic 100 + powered speakers. So good! Using Foobar2000 with ASIO out addon, as recommended by Cambridge Audio.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #125 of 135
Does anyone know if this has a boosted phono output? As in louder than the inputs if that makes sense. My FiiO A3 currently isn't quite loud enough at times to get the most out of my 600 ohm DT880 premiums. And I just bought the A5 and am very disappointed that that isn't very loud either for these headphones. I'm wondering if my current DAC must have a quiet output compared to others out there. I have the SMSL M3. http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=103

Is there any chance this Cambridge Audio DAC will have a louder output than this which would allow my FiiO A3 to go louder?

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #130 of 135
Not bad at all. Using it with the Aune X1S bypassing the shrill/hard sounding Ess dac module in the Aune. This is my bedroom setup. Beyer 990-600 ohm and the Shiit Looki. High end? No, but Wolfson chip are imo smooth and detailed in comparison to the ice cold Ess.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #134 of 135
Does DAC magic 100 work with ifi ipower supply? I am thinking to buy this amazing PSU for this DAC, I don't know the specs or the DC power plug. Does anyone know the ID OD? Thanks
Yes!! after reading a bunch of reviews for the ifi wall wart .. the sound is as good as the battery I was using at least.. if not better there is no comparison between the ifi and original wall wart
BUY it you will be amazed at what clean dc does for this dac.. you will need an adapter it comes with a bunch but I had to use one I was using for my battery pack.. just get a 7-9 plug selection from ebay.. the difference makes me wonder if the Benchmark I've been lusting after is still a better option than the DM100 with CLEAN D.C.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #135 of 135
Is this still a good buy for the price?
No. It never was. It is just a decent buy if you want to buy locally. But it never was anything special, and considering the advances that have been made in DA conversion technology it's getting rather long in the teeth. If you look beyond the local store there are many dacs that offer much better performance, more features. If you think this is good you really have no idea what is on the market now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back