DacMagic 100 Impressions
Jun 19, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #91 of 135
I had the Dacmagic 100, quite liked it (unlike their Dock), holding up pretty well to more expensive offerings. Their customer service was not so impressive, when I asked about USB2/async since it was advertised but not showing up as an option on my Mac, they seemed almost offended to have to point out the sorta-secret button combo to enable the off-by-default feature (as per SuperiorTramp's post above, and quite hidden in some paragraph in their online manual)

But I'd say, after doing a 4-way switchbox (instant) comparison between DACs I had at the time, the DM100 is neutral rather than warm, not cold or analytical really, but not really warm either since that's what you seem to be interested in.

An option that was more along those lines, at a similar pricepoint, was the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2, I really liked it, and it comes with both a solid-state path & output as well as the expected tube path & output so you actually have a choice. The solid-state output was very close to the DM100, but the tube output was certainly for once clearly warmer. Ultimately since I ended up using tube amps, and that was too much tube in the path for my taste, but before that I really enjoyed it.

There's a forum topic here, with my impressions at the time, but it's been quite inactive, since, like the Dacmagic, it's been out for a while and not exactly high-profile...

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #92 of 135
Have you contacted Richer Sounds? They may deliver your way if arranged?

I have not, It costs 160 pounds + I will definitely have to pay income fees, which would result in 220+€ price tag - If I will buy it, then I have one PC shop nearby and they have it for 194€ (do not hesitate to say 194$, because it is almost the same at these days)...They would get it in stock in 5-7 days, which is great..

An option that was more along those lines, at a similar pricepoint, was the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2, I really liked it, and it comes with both a solid-state path & output as well as the expected tube path & output so you actually have a choice. The solid-state output was very close to the DM100, but the tube output was certainly for once clearly warmer. Ultimately since I ended up using tube amps, and that was too much tube in the path for my taste, but before that I really enjoyed it.

Tubes...sounds so great, but again...from their website it is (with DHL shipping) 289$ and with the import fees...mhm, maybe up to 320€

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #93 of 135
Nice input - it's interesting how the sound comes across as somewhat similar even between different people (neutral). Yes, it has been commented elsewhere that the 'press two button' thing is daft and it should simply come set to usb2 as usb1 is virtually dead now (or so I understand).
Hopefully your comments will add usefully to mine for the OP as you've listened to more dacs than I have recently.
Having tried an old Rega Io dac - just the one spdif input - I found that very underwhelming, despite its good rep. I now think newer tech in terms of connectivity (async) is so obviously beneficial that I wouldn't bother with a dac without it. I don't use cd anymore so that suits.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #95 of 135
Just the one time to switch and there is a specific light that comes on- but you will 'see' it anyway as 'Cambridge Audio Dac 2' (or something like that - it does refer to 2). Further: it will only play higher red files in USB2 mode. It tells you all about it in the instructions.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #96 of 135
I mean by 'see it' that your computer/digital out out device will 'see it' when you connect up to it: e.g my Squeeze Box Touch has to be 'pointed' to the dac it is using and it shows up on the screen as 'Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100 2' or similar. It would have '1' at the end if it wasn't switched to USB2 mode. It's easy to do so don't worry.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #99 of 135
  Tubes...sounds so great, but again...from their website it is (with DHL shipping) 289$ and with the import fees...mhm, maybe up to 320€

Yeah, the "From $199" was for the D1, but I'd think for $50 more, it'd be worth to try & swing it anyway. Alas there's the shipping, and I forgot how you guys get hammered on import duty in most of Europe... one thing I'm not looking forward to if/when I move back :-/
And unfortunately I already sold mine, or something could have been worked out... but like others wrote, I hope you'll find something that works out for you, and the DM100 is a good, solid DAC either way.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #100 of 135
My musical fidelity M1 DAC died after a power outage (please pm me if you know how to repair it)

I got a CA Dacmagic 100 (Low on $, was considering Arcam irdac) to replace it, im satisfied overall but the highs seem recessed at high volume.. I didnt have this problem with my M1. Using Yamaha RS700 and Polk Audio LSi9s with foobar WASAPI.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #101 of 135
  My musical fidelity M1 DAC died after a power outage (please pm me if you know how to repair it)

I got a CA Dacmagic 100 (Low on $, was considering Arcam irdac) to replace it, im satisfied overall but the highs seem recessed at high volume.. I didnt have this problem with my M1. Using Yamaha RS700 and Polk Audio LSi9s with foobar WASAPI.

The MI has a high frequency lift (peaking at appx +0.1db) from 6k to 20K while the CA is flat to about 10K with a roll-off to a -0.18db drop at 20K 

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #102 of 135
Oh, I have completely forgot to post the answer...I bought it in July from our local store (TubeMagick D2 by Maverick was interesting, but higher price + shipping and import fees would result in at least 300-350€, which is too much) and I can calmly say I am really satisfied.

Although as far as the packaging goes, it is really visible it is from the 2011, appearance is on the level od 10$ genius 7.1 high-end HiFi soundcard and the manual was not there - there was kind of a quick start guide without any information about switching to the class 2 transfer mode, but I have found it in the online manual...

Soundwise I am satisfied, I will not try to describe my impressions, I had not any experience with DACs so far (only Fiio E10k, which is different price point), but now, the sound is full/rich and clear, it has divided my old Kingston Cloud and Brainwavz HM5 from the HE-400 to the point I have recently sold it, because there was no more reason for using them (I still love HM5 tho) compared to my HE-400..

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #103 of 135
Would the DM be a great improvement of the Modi? Have the latter one but doesn't seem to add much to the sound of my rig. Just dropping the noise floor, that's all. Compared to the onboard soundcard that is.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #104 of 135
Is this right? It annoys me infinitely that they even included USB 1.1 in the unit. I did the hold down source and power from standby steps to get it into USB 2.0.

This is foobar2000. I'm worried about the "USB 1" bit in the "device" part. How can I be sure It's using 2.0? The drivers for 2.0 from CA are installed.

When it powers on it goes to 92, but playing FLAC files it goes to 44. Is this normal?

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #105 of 135
Yes: it comes set up as USB 1 and you press the two buttons together to set it to USB 2. I think then the light on the selection switches position too - to the hi-res, but I cannot 100% recall. I don't think you need drivers for it but maybe that's just my set up (SQ Touch). The S Box Touch will show it as 'Dacmagic usb 2'.
I don't know how your set up shows the dac but I presume it must show somewhere as this. If it's showing as 'Dacmagic usb 1' then the dac needs those buttons pressing together for 3 seconds.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back