dac1 or mini-dac??
Jul 24, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 44
What headphones are you using? How do you like your sound (warm, cold, smooth, hyper-detailed, etc.)?

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker
Hi, any input is appreciated.
benchmark dac1 or apogee miniDac??

I own a Benchmark and I had an Apogee evaluation model here for direct comparison.
Here are my opinions:
1. The Apogee is better
2. The Benchmark is better
It depends.
On your ears.
And on your gear (think synergy).
They have different strengths and weaknesses.
Well, strengths and weaknesses in relative terms, both are good DACs in the same league though different.

Personally I prefer another DAC, but that's just me.

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 44
so i suppose these equipments are pretty much on the same realm in terms of build quality and money value, and the difference is on the sound characteristics?
I use the onix ref 1 speaker, xcd-88, and sp3 tube amp. I just acquired the AT ath-2000ad headphone, and i'm considering either separate headphone amp, or in this case a dac/headphone amp combo to serve double purpose. I listin to vocal and instrumental classics mostly. warm and full sound is what i'm looking for. I appreciate any help again.

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 44
Few differences between Mini-DAC and DAC1 aside from the sonic characteristics...
  1. Mini-DAC has an option for an USB input.
  2. Mini-DAC's ouputs are XLR, 1/8 jack, and 1/4 headphone jacks
  3. DAC1's outputs are XLR, RCA, and two 1/4 headphones jacks
  4. There are few places that mod DAC1. I know of none that mods Mini-DAC.
  5. Mini-DAC can be run from an external battery.

EDIT - oh and DAC1 now comes in silver or black.

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker
warm and full sound is what i'm looking for.

I wouldn't describe the Benchmark as "warm", I guess the Apogee would suit your needs better.
As Salt Peanuts already pointed out there are some technical differences.
The USB input option (you'd have to pay extra for) is the best on the market.Apogee provides an own USB driver that is bypassing the Kmixer on XP based systems.AFAIK all the other USB DACs are relying on the Microsoft driver for USB audio, and that renders the USB connectivity worthless IMO.
On the downside your existing RCA interconnects won't fit.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 44
Lots of places make batteries for the minidac, because it's the same battery as for the mini-me, an ADC used by lots of "tapers". Check out http://www.sonicsense.com for an example.

I'd also check out the psx and rosetta from apogee, they're older, but VERY nice.

Jul 25, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawainpanda
oh wow, the mini-dac can run from external batterY...dang where can i get one? (the external battery?)

I just got a 12v 7A lead-acid battery for about $10.00. Clipped the wire from a 12V wallwart plug, connected the leads to battery terminal, and Voilà. Recharge the battery when it dies. Actually I have two batteries so when one runs out, the other is ready to go.

dshea

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawainpanda
oh wow, the mini-dac can run from external batterY...dang where can i get one? (the external battery?)

For a portable/transportable option, you can get a rechargeable lithium ion battery from Radio Shack that fits nicely into the carry bag made by Apogee for Mini-Me/Mini-MP/Mini-DAC. I can't remember the exact parts number for it, but drp showed me his Mini-DAC connected to the battery at the Boston/New England meet, with everything all in the said carry bag.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 44
Hey this sounds cool, I have that Apogee bag.

Drp, can you give us details about this battery setup?

dshea

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Hey this sounds cool, I have that Apogee bag.

Drp, can you give us details about this battery setup?

dshea

Digging up an old thread, but here's the link for the the said battery(assuming I'm not mistaken) - here.

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 44
Thanks SaltPeanuts! I will have to stop by a RatShack and pick one up. Thanks.

Cheers,
dshea

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 44
I purchased this "universal" battery:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...&xsell=3600688

which actually looks identical to the RS one, in hopes of using it with my (now sold) Apogee Mini-DAC. It came with three changeable tips - none of which were compatible with the Mini-DAC's connector. Consequently I never used it. Theoretically, if I had the correct connector tip, it would (have) work(ed) though.

Did the Radio Shack battery come with an adapter tip that is usable with the Apogee?

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Digging up an old thread, but here's the link for the the said battery(assuming I'm not mistaken) - here.

Yup, that looks like the right one. It fits inside the bag with the DAC; stacked on top of it at the rear. Just open the rear zipper to connect, or modify so it's always connected. I placed some small felt stick-ons (from hardware store) on the bottom of the battery to provide a little space and protect the finishes.

I actually returned that battery, looking at another that has a switch for 9v or 12v operation, because I need 12v for another gizmo. I did speak with the good folks at Apogee; there is no loss of performance at all with 9v versus 12v

One of the power tips that came with the battery (there were five to choose from) fit the Mini-DAC, but not perfectly, length-wise, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back