DAC upgrade
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cpu235

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am currently looking for a DAC to match with my Liquid Platinum, my previous DAC was an SMSL SU-9 but I thought it sounded a bit too harsh, now I am using my Cayin RU7 temporarily, and I want to find a better desktop DAC solution. I prefer AKM or R2R sound.

My budget is $1000 USD (the lower the better), willing to buy used gear as well. I have some DACs in my mind but open to any recommendations. I prefer the DAC to have balanced outputs and usb input since I am connecting to my PC. Below is my list:

Denafrips Ares II
Metrum Onyx
Chord Qutest
RME ADI-2 DAC

Thanks in advance.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm in the same boat as well, and have looked at the same DAC's as you, as well as the Holo Cyan 2, the Audio GD R-1 NOS and Schiit Bifrost 2/64. I'm leaning mostly towards the R-1, but if a deal shows up on any of them, I'm mostly likely going for it, as I do t think any of the is bad.
I don't have the RME on my list, though, as I want R2R.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm in the same boat as well, and have looked at the same DAC's as you, as well as the Holo Cyan 2, the Audio GD R-1 NOS and Schiit Bifrost 2/64. I'm leaning mostly towards the R-1, but if a deal shows up on any of them, I'm mostly likely going for it, as I do t think any of the is bad.
I don't have the RME on my list, though, as I want R2R.
I was looking at the Cyan 2 too, but there are no reviews yet so I am waiting to see what other thinks about it.

Haven't really looked into Audio GD or Bifrost but those are some interesting options and I will add them to my list, thanks!

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 16
I would go with the bifrost 2/64, my opinion best overal sounding dac at the price point. It beats dacs 2x-3x its price. When you get to the ares, pegasus, r2r dacs, have more a unique flavor. They all have that r2r sound, but flavored different. Then your trying to find what it synergises with. The bifrost 2/64 is unique as it synergises with most any amp. Not, the bifrost 2, thats a little too warm flavored.

There's a used one on here for 615 right now. I would snatch that up.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/schiit-bifrost-2-64-black.58591/

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 16
I was looking at the Cyan 2 too, but there are no reviews yet so I am waiting to see what other thinks about it.

Haven't really looked into Audio GD or Bifrost but those are some interesting options and I will add them to my list, thanks!
Yes, it's very early for the Cyan 2, and not sure about Holo as a whole, as they don't have an official website, which I find odd.
Bifrost is in the cheaper end, but comes very highly recommended by the Schiit crowd. Audio GD just gets high praises all-around, don't think I've ever seen anything negative about them, which makes it super interesting to me. I can also buy it with 30 day return right, which is very valuable to me, as I'm lot sure if I'll feel a 1000 euro DAC is worth it to me.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 16
I would go with the bifrost 2/64, my opinion best overal sounding dac at the price point. It beats dacs 2x-3x its price. When you get to the ares, pegasus, r2r dacs, have more a unique flavor. They all have that r2r sound, but flavored different. Then your trying to find what it synergises with. The bifrost 2/64 is unique as it synergises with most any amp. Not, the bifrost 2, thats a little too warm flavored.

There's a used one on here for 615 right now. I would snatch that up.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/schiit-bifrost-2-64-black.58591/
I saw that a while ago and was thinking about it, also saw the Gumby at a similar price point which is interesting as well.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 16
Out of those I'd take the Ares II. For my own setup that is.

My personal preferences would run to a Zen DAC Signature V2, if I somehow found myself tied to USB. Or a Neo.

I have a great fear and dislike of unclean USB output.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 16
Yes, it's very early for the Cyan 2, and not sure about Holo as a whole, as they don't have an official website, which I find odd.
Bifrost is in the cheaper end, but comes very highly recommended by the Schiit crowd. Audio GD just gets high praises all-around, don't think I've ever seen anything negative about them, which makes it super interesting to me. I can also buy it with 30 day return right, which is very valuable to me, as I'm lot sure if I'll feel a 1000 euro DAC is worth it to me.
Yeah it's pretty strange that they don't have their own website. I like their Holo Spring but that is out of my price range lol, if the cyan has a similar sound sig then I will definitely consider it.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 16
Out of those I'd take the Ares II. For my own setup that is.

My personal preferences would run to a Zen DAC Signature V2, if I somehow found myself tied to USB. Or a Neo.

I have a great fear and dislike of unclean USB output.
That makes sense, I personally would buy a topping d10s and use the toslink output or maybe get an ifi purifier if the USB are bad

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 16
Is it the Liquid Platinum hybrid tube/SS model? The AK4499 slow rolloff filter is the only one I could tell the difference with the early treble rolloff. The SMSL models with filters and colors offer some options you can hear also. The DO200 MKII is on sale at Amazon and offers the best value.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Is it the Liquid Platinum hybrid tube/SS model? The AK4499 slow rolloff filter is the only one I could tell the difference with the early treble rolloff. The SMSL models with filters and colors offer some options you can hear also. The DO200 MKII is on sale at Amazon and offers the best value.
Yea it is the hybrid, I had the smsl su9 and was using slow linear with it, but it still sounded slightly harsh to me. I have had good results with akm dacs but wanted to try r2r dacs this time.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 16
I don't have any of the DACs listed as I'm still running my Teac UD-503 DAC. That said I'm looking to get Denafrips Pontus sometime next year as I've heard and read nothing but good things about the company, and especially of the Ares II at its price point.

With that for the money you're looking at I'd take a harder look at the Ares II. However, do consider what "features" you're also looking for. Example the ability to use headphones... which the Ares II does not support so you will need a separate amp for that whereas the RME ADI-2 DAC you do not. Stuff like that.

This is where "call cost of ownership" comes into play - if you get A vs B what else will you need to get for the setup you want - Example the headphones question. On the other hand, is the RME better sounding than the Ares? Is that important? Do you even need a headphone amp?

Sometimes it's those things not thought of that costs us the most.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 16
I don't have any of the DACs listed as I'm still running my Teac UD-503 DAC. That said I'm looking to get Denafrips Pontus sometime next year as I've heard and read nothing but good things about the company, and especially of the Ares II at its price point.

With that for the money you're looking at I'd take a harder look at the Ares II. However, do consider what "features" you're also looking for. Example the ability to use headphones... which the Ares 11 you will need a separate amp for that whereas the RME ADI-2 DAC you do not. Stuff like that.

This is where "call cost of ownership" comes into play - if you get A vs B what else will you need to get for the setup you want - With the Ares II you will need a headphone amp; with the RME you won't. But on the other hand, is the RME a better DAC than the Ares? What else am I looking for? What about cables?

Sometimes it's those things not thought of that costs us the most.

My two cents.
I have a liquid platinum already so I am focusing on a dedicated DAC, and I already have all the cables that I need so I just need to consider the DAC portion. This is good advice for anyone who is looking for DACs though, make sure you get something that fits your needs and matches your gear, my previous DAC was the SMSL SU-9 and function wise its great but it didn't match my setup too well so I decided to upgrade.

I have reduced my list to Bifrost 2 or 2/64 and Denafrips Ares II now, seems like both are solid r2r DACs.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 16
I have reduced my list to Bifrost 2 or 2/64 and Denafrips Ares II now, seems like both are solid r2r DACs.
Would love to hear the reasoning behind this, as it could very well help me choose as well.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 16
Would love to hear the reasoning behind this, as it could very well help me choose as well.
I just feel like both are more popular choice and has great reviews and is within my price range. Also they fit well on my desk and have balanced outputs. I am most likely going to get a DDC though so USB input won't matter as much. Plus they are easier to sell if I didin't like them due to their popularity.

My friend has the qutest and we could trade DACs to listen to if I get these r2r DACs so I passed on the qutest. Metrum I was not too confident about the company situation so I am also passing on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back