DAC to upgrade from onboard audio
Oct 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Conley

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have the AD700's and I was thinking about getting a DAC to go along with it. Budget is somewhere around $150, but I don't need the best of the best; I'm currently using my headphones with on-board audio from my laptop, so anything will be a substantial upgrade. I saw the HRT Headstreamer looks to be a good choice... are there any other budget performers that I should be looking at?

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey, I just replied to a similar question, so here are some questions to help you on a direction to happiness.

What type of music do you listen to?
Do you like the sound signature of the ad700's?
Do you need an amp as well? (Either now or in the future)

The HRT, latest schiit products, ODAC from JDS labs are all in your price range and review fantastically. Do some searches and read some reviews and I am sure some more experienced head-fiers will be along to help shortly.

Dave.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Hey, I just replied to a similar question, so here are some questions to help you on a direction to happiness.

What type of music do you listen to?
Do you like the sound signature of the ad700's?
Do you need an amp as well? (Either now or in the future)

The HRT, latest schiit products, ODAC from JDS labs are all in your price range and review fantastically. Do some searches and read some reviews and I am sure some more experienced head-fiers will be along to help shortly.

Dave.

I don't currently have an amp, but I don't think the AD700s need one (I could be wrong). I enjoy the way the AD700 sounds, so I would say I'm happy with the signature. A warmer sound would be alright but I won't be disappointed if the DAC is plain. I don't know if I have a music genre I like to listen to most; I like to try out all kinds, from blues to rock to pop to electronic. Right now I'm listening to dubstep and classic rock, but I'm sure that will change as time goes on. So I'd like things to be all-arounders if possible.

Thanks for the help!

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 7
  Hi, I have the AD700's and I was thinking about getting a DAC to go along with it. Budget is somewhere around $150, but I don't need the best of the best; I'm currently using my headphones with on-board audio from my laptop, so anything will be a substantial upgrade. I saw the HRT Headstreamer looks to be a good choice... are there any other budget performers that I should be looking at?

Fiio E10 ($62-$75), USB-DAC-Amp, can't see a good reason for spend anymore for a DAC/Amp, for the ATH-AD700.
You could also sell off the ATH-AD700 for headphones with more bass.

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 7
  Fiio E10 ($62-$75), USB-DAC-Amp, can't see a good reason for spend anymore for a DAC/Amp, for the ATH-AD700.
You could also sell off the ATH-AD700 for headphones with more bass.

Is there a certain headphone you would recommend over the AD700's for all genres? Say my budget is <$150, used is fine.

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Alternatively you could get a Hifimediy DAC for $42 and a Fiio E11, which AFAIK is a better amp than the one in the E10. E11 also has a bass boost function if you want that. Fiio products are already slightly warmer than neutral though, so either way they'll match up well with the AD700s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back