DAC that produces a deep soundstage?
Oct 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jwsisme

New Head-Fier
Many years ago I heard a demo of a high end system with a $10,000 turntable, that produced an almost 3-D image of the band. I was young at the time and certainly my imagination was much greater than now..but I recall I could almost see each member of the band. Ever since then I have been searching for that 3-D holographic sound on my limited budget.....

My current desktop stereo is:
Tripplite Line Conditioner
Redgum RGi60 Integrated Amp 
Asus D1 and Apple Airport Express

Canton bookshelf speakers
Hsu Research STF-1 subwoofer
AKG K501 headphones

Obviously each component is important so I think logically the DAC is the next upgrade. The Canton speakers are old but will be updated next, unless you think that is the issue. I also realize I will have to re-rip some CDs to lossless.

The question I ask is what DACs have you heard that give that deep soundstage I desire? I don't need "perfection", whatever that is. Since I have the AKG's, a DAC with a headphone amp would be nice but I could always make that a next upgrade step. My fingers (and my wife's) are crossed hoping you've heard something under 1k.

Your recommendations?

Thanks!
James

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 15
jwsisme wrote:

My fingers (and my wife's) are crossed hoping you've heard something under 1k.

I'm not a DAC expert as all I qualify as is, a lucky DAC buyer but, the DAC I bought, which brings me so much joy (and sound stage) is the April Music, Stello DA100 Signature DAC.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 15
Well that's the thing, I have read a ton of reviews and before I decide on the purchase I read something that scares me away or convinces me to spend more. Can I get the sound I want with a zero dac, do I need to move up to a dacmagic? If the dacmagic isn't enough is the audio-gd NFB-2 good enough? If I have to spend a 1k and get the Stello I'll keep saving....but I don't want to buy, regret,sell, upgrade. I guess I could swing by Guitar Center...always fun to visit!

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Actually I think hers are crossed for the five hundred dollar mark :)

I bought mine used on the Buy/Sell forum.  Bought my Amp the same way.  Buying used shows the wife that you're sincere in your efforts to gain quality and not blow the bank.

"Honey, see, look at all the money I didn't spend which I would have spent if I bought new."

(Where's that whistling emoticon?)

biggrin.gif

...and before I decide on the purchase I read something that scares me away or convinces me to spend more.

I started a couple of threads on the subject and came up with, there's no easy formula for buying a DAC.  I also came up with, DAC buying for the beginner, is more like dart throwing, in the dark.  You point your budget in the direction of the dartboard, throw the money and enjoy.

Why do I write the above?  Because at this price level, pretty much anything you buy, is going make you happy.  Currently, the best thing happening, my opinion, for entry level, is going be the Audio-gd "Fun."  From there, it becomes how deep your pockets are and how high you want to jump.  I went with a used Burson HA-160 headphone amp and a used April Music, Stello DA100 Signature.  I would have gone with Audio-gd (ROC + NFB-1) but their main payment method is PayPal and I don't do PayPal.

When I was agonizing over this question, regarding the thousand dollar price point, three DAC's kept coming to the front, the Stello DA100 Signature, the WYRED 4 Sound Dac-1 and the Audio-gd, NFB-1.  I bought used and I'm glad I did.  By buying used, I purchased quality products, all the while saving a boatload of cash.  But, on the drawback side of buying used, you're, at any one time and point, limited to what's currently available on any Buy/Sell forum you might be frequenting.  I feel I got lucky as to available choices.

In regard to questions such as the way I understand your question, there's only so much one can do and not drive themselves crazy.  At the thousand dollar price point, I doubt there's anything listed above you wouldn't be happy with.  No one unit being recommended over another.  Under that price point, my opinion, you're going more than likely question your decision; buyer's remorse.  As one person pointed out, once the price is paid, nobody's ever felt bad about buying quality and for me, I found the thousand dollar price point to be that line of demarcation; quality vs buyer's remorse.  I found buying used, made the purchases that much sweeter.

Hope the above starts to help give you the insight you're wanting.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 15
I thought the north star m192 mk2 had a pretty decent "soundstage."  Should be able to get it used for well under $1000.  Regardless, I don't think reading the reviews here will get you very far.  

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 15
I think a deep/wide SS will always come at the price of major coloration...some DAC/opamps and headphones are unable to play anything narrow, that's the flipside of the coin. And colored can be fun for 1/2/4 weeks, but how good's your colored gear 6 months down the road? It takes a true love story for you to still enjoy your music colored in the exact same way after several months/years.

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 15
How about the Music Streamer II+ ?

At $350 its pretty cheap.
A
Here in this review - http://www.headfonia.com/hrt-music-streamer-ii-2496-usb-dac/

It bests the Cambridge DAC magic which is regarded almost as a reference DAC in the $500 and below bracket.

The main USP of the Music Streamer is its amazing soundstage.

I have its baby brother the Music Streamer II and I am floored mostly by its soundstage performance more than anything else.

Its made in the US and available via Amazon.com so if you don't like it you can always send it back for a full refund.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 15
My DAC-AH didn't produce a deeper sound than the EAD1000 I had before it nor the EVS Millenium that I tried with my old speaker system, but with a Little Dot MkII, the K701 had the deepest soundstage I've ever heard in a dynamic headphone. I've tried Ibasso's with the 701 and got a sound similar to my HD600. Haven't yet heard anything as holographic since. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 15
jwsisme wrote:

The question I ask is what DACs have you heard that give that deep soundstage I desire?

Your recommendations?

In truth, I don't care how I try to cut this onion, sometimes the DSP gets the sound out of my head and on to the sound stage where it belongs.  The point, never underestimate the synergism between a sweet DAC/Amp/headphone/cable combo coupled with a sound distorting DSP.  Don't misunderstand about my affinity for a DSP as I don't see the DSP as the total answer as just as it can enhance a particular piece, it can also ruin the very next piece listened to.  I see the DSP as an answer regarding single music pieces.  This depending on how the piece was engineered in the first place by the sound engineer who's job it is, not to screw it up.

The point, sometimes you gotta fudge what you got, so you can get what you need.

L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 15
I would not be looking to a DAC for an improvement in soundstage.

Soundstage is mostly a function of the recording and your speakers. With a $1,000 budget, I'd look towards the Magnepan MMG, other used Magnepans, and there are usually a few used ESS AMT speakers around LA. You might be able to find used Quad ESLs. A pair of dipoles ( all these are) will give you the expansive 3D soundstage you're looking for.

A DAC won't do that much to help soundstage. You could put a great recording into a $29 DVD player, run that through an average receiver, and into good dipoles. That delivers fantastic soundstage, and yes, I've tried it with a late-90's Kenwood five disc changer I use for testing. The source just isn't all that important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back