DAC "skipping" - Mac Mojave issue?
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oogabooga

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone encountered "skipping" issues with DACs and USB-C?

When I connect my Resonessence Concero DAC to my 2017 MacBook Pro (via a USB-C adapter), the music skips every second or so. I get the same problem when I connect the DAC to an iPad Pro (USB-C again).

I've tried two different USB cables and USB-C adapters (one a hub, the other a plain adapter) and the skipping is still there.

But, when I connect the Concero to my PC (no USB-C), there is no skipping.

And, when I connect my Gamma2 to my MacBook or iPad (using the same USB-C adapters), there is no skipping.

There's something about the Concero and USB-C that seems to be the problem.
Any thoughts?

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 12
Update - this is also happening when I connect the Concero to a 2015 iMac using a standard USB port. Both the iMac and the MacBook Pro are running OSX 10.14 (Mojave).

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks Roseval - I did contact Resonessence yesterday and they are apparently aware of the problem but don't have any plans to address it :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 12
No, course don’t use my iMac except as a remote , but checked my other desktop system, fine

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Hi Whazzzup,
Is this a Resonessence DAC you are using? Is it connected to your iMac or another computer? If the iMac, can I ask what version of OSX you are running?
Thanks!
Sam

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Using an iFi iPurifier2 did not help any - I had hoped that whatever "reclocking" the iFi claims to do would help, but it was useless.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 12
Update: with a USB to SPDIF convertor I get partway there - there is no choppiness any more and the connection is solid, but the convertor I am using always outputs 192 kHz on SPDIF so I can't use any of the Concero filters :frowning2:

@Currawong Why should a DAC only be good for 6 years?!? (I bought it in 2013) It works just fine on my Windows PC, just not with my Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back