1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DAC "skipping" - Mac Mojave issue?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by oogabooga, Feb 18, 2019.
  1. oogabooga
    Has anyone encountered "skipping" issues with DACs and USB-C?

When I connect my Resonessence Concero DAC to my 2017 MacBook Pro (via a USB-C adapter), the music skips every second or so. I get the same problem when I connect the DAC to an iPad Pro (USB-C again).

I've tried two different USB cables and USB-C adapters (one a hub, the other a plain adapter) and the skipping is still there.

But, when I connect the Concero to my PC (no USB-C), there is no skipping.

And, when I connect my Gamma2 to my MacBook or iPad (using the same USB-C adapters), there is no skipping.

There's something about the Concero and USB-C that seems to be the problem.
    Any thoughts?

2. oogabooga
    Update - this is also happening when I connect the Concero to a 2015 iMac using a standard USB port. Both the iMac and the MacBook Pro are running OSX 10.14 (Mojave).

3. Roseval
  4. oogabooga
    Thanks Roseval - I did contact Resonessence yesterday and they are apparently aware of the problem but don't have any plans to address it :frowning2:

5. Whazzzup
    No, course don’t use my iMac except as a remote , but checked my other desktop system, fine

6. oogabooga
    Hi Whazzzup,
    Is this a Resonessence DAC you are using? Is it connected to your iMac or another computer? If the iMac, can I ask what version of OSX you are running?
    Thanks!
    Sam

7. oogabooga
    Using an iFi iPurifier2 did not help any - I had hoped that whatever "reclocking" the iFi claims to do would help, but it was useless.

8. Currawong Contributor
    The last update was in 2013. Time for a new DAC?

9. oogabooga
    Update: with a USB to SPDIF convertor I get partway there - there is no choppiness any more and the connection is solid, but the convertor I am using always outputs 192 kHz on SPDIF so I can't use any of the Concero filters :frowning2:

@Currawong Why should a DAC only be good for 6 years?!? (I bought it in 2013) It works just fine on my Windows PC, just not with my Mac.

10. oogabooga
    Final update: Problem was solved by updating firmware on the Concero.

11. monkey biz
    Hey, how did you manage to update your concero HD? I have a mac and have the same problem :frowning2:

12. oogabooga