DAC Shoot Out...
Apr 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

preproman

Headphoneus Supremus
DAC's 2K and under.  What are some of the best out there in this price range?

Audiolab 8200CD
W4S DAC-2
Audio-gd DAC 7.1
Lite DAC-83
NAD M51

What are you thoughts?

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 21
It depends on what you are looking for...features? certain sound signature? 

You can also add the Burson DA-160 (under 1k) which have been compared to the antelope zodiac many times, its a solid performer. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 21

Quote:
DAC's 2K and under.  What are some of the best out there in this price range?

Audiolab 8200CD
W4S DAC-2
Audio-gd DAC 7.1
Lite DAC-83
NAD M51

What are you thoughts?

I've had the W4S DAC2, and currently have the M51.They're both great.
The M51 is my favorite of the 2 by a good margin. Better resolution and imaging, more features, better volume control / preamp ability. Also looks much nicer, though the DAC2 has a much smaller footprint if that is important to you.

You might also throw in there the Calyx 24/192 DAC (same price range). A very nice compact unit. No fancy features or controls, but a great musical tone, and a very sleek (heavy) high quality build quality. It only accepts USB and Coax, so if Toslink or HDMI is important to you, look to the NAD or W4S.

The others may be great, but I haven't tried them, so there is my 2 cents.

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 21
I'm also going to chime in and say check out the Calyx 24/192. I've been enjoying mine quite a bit since I got it. 

If you like simple 'do their job and get out of the way' components then the Calyx is for you...plus it can be used for self defense. :D

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
plus it can be used for self defense. :D

How? lol
probably mine too. 
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:

I've had the W4S DAC2, and currently have the M51. They're both great.
The M51 is my favorite of the 2 by a good margin. Better resolution and imaging, more features, better volume control / preamp ability. Also looks much nicer, though the DAC2 has a much smaller footprint if that is important to you.

You might also throw in there the Calyx 24/192 DAC (same price range). A very nice compact unit. No fancy features or controls, but a great musical tone, and a very sleek (heavy) high quality build quality. It only accepts USB and Coax, so if Toslink or HDMI is important to you, look to the NAD or W4S.

The others may be great, but I haven't tried them, so there is my 2 cents.

Have you listened to the C390DD at all?  I am curious how the DAC in this Swiss Army knife performs in comparison to the M51.  

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 21
I will also give a thumbs up to the NAD M51. I actually have a Wadia 121 DAC in house for comparison and the M51 is ahead in most areas. I just began my direct DAC to amp to see how I like it without any preamp in the way.

Another Head-Fi user had compared the M51 to the Audio GD and prefer ed the M51, but still found the Audio GD a nice unit.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 21
I currently own the M51, Burson 160, and Bifrost. I just sold a DAC-83, and will probably be selling the M51 soon. Never heard the Calyx personally but have read nice reviews. The Bifrost has become my main DAC, not sure how those guys are able to turn out such quality products for so cheap.

I may be a little biased as I also have one of their Asgard headphones driving Grado's.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 21
Where can you by this DAC in the states?

Quote:
I'm also going to chime in and say check out the Calyx 24/192. I've been enjoying mine quite a bit since I got it. 

If you like simple 'do their job and get out of the way' components then the Calyx is for you...plus it can be used for self defense. :D

Not sure to be honest. I came across a used unit whwn I was searching for one in the states myself. I read somewhere that US dealers should have it soon. I know there's some storefront places in the states that sell it but I didn't find an online dealer.

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 21
Though silent, I'm also open-minded, and would look at Pro Audio hardware as well. Sometimes, there's more work to do when configuring but might be able to bring home more bang for your buck. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:

Have you listened to the C390DD at all?  I am curious how the DAC in this Swiss Army knife performs in comparison to the M51.  

Nope. Not personally, is it the C390DD or the M2 that shares the DAC guts with the M51?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back