DAC recommendations
Oct 28, 2009 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bizkit

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently had to detach myself from my beloved vinyl collection (aka the 2nd wife) for an extended period of time and I'm now exploring ways to fill the void until I get back home. Normally, I would use the search function, but DACs (or anything digital) are a completely foreign subject to me and I'm short on time/sanity. So I just come out and ask it.....

What is the best set-up I can get for $2500?

Source: Dell Precision M6400 Covet
+
???????:
+
Cans: Sennheiser HD800
=
Profit

Please give me some tube free options to shove in the gray area between the two

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Are that Dell and HD800 included in your $2500 budget? or is the $2500 solely for DAC + amp?

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are that Dell and HD800 included in your $2500 budget? or is the $2500 solely for DAC + amp?

The $25000 is just for the DAC/AMP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b/c your using mostly vinyl, you might consider an amp with a crossfeed option (headroom has some nice options).

I won't have access to my vinyl for a year or so. I'm try to find a suitable (ie sturdy) replacement for the time that I'm gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source: Dell Precision M6400 Covet
+
DAC/Amplifier: Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA
+
Cans: Sennheiser HD800
=
Bliss!

..or so they say. As I have never heard it...

Thank you!

Buy Now in 5....4....3....2.....

Oh,

Is Red Wine Audio an advertiser (aka support the site by clicking on a link) on here or is there another way to support forum for the quick resolution to my problem.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 11
RedWineAudio Isabellina did get nice reviews, though I haven't heard it.

Yes, RedWineAudio is a sponsor of Head-Fi. You can also contribute to Head-Fi (and get some nice perks for it, like a larger mailbox).
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a headfi browser for years, so it's about time that I pay my dues.

Given your location I'd say that you are more than paying your dues! Thanks for your efforts.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 11
I'll throw in the Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC and Phoenix set which is exactly your budget then. You'll need to have the HD-800s re-terminated balanced for best results with the amp. If you don't want to go balanced (which requires either a 4-pin XLR plug or 2x 3-pin XLR plugs in place of the regular headphone plug) then it'll still be a great rig. Re-terminating them wont necessarily mean you can't use the headphones with a regular amp, as the last bit of the cable with the plug on it can be used as an adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back