DAC or External Soundcard?
Mar 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

indoman14

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently own the ATH-m50 and Logitec Z506 speakers. I'm using my onboard soundcard for my speakers and my integrated keyboard soundcard for my headphones. I'm going to buy a new keyboard so I can't use the integrated soundcard of my logitech g510 anymore. I plugged my headphones into my onboard soundcard to test the sound that I will get when I replace my keyboard. It wasn't much worse, but I could hear a difference. I was also thinking about getting a pair of open headphones like the dt 990 pro. Ofcourse I want the maximum sound quality for my budget but I'm not sure whether I should buy a DAC or external soundcard, or maybe both? My knowledge is very little in this department and i would appreciate some help. I can't buy an internal soundcard because I've no pcie slots to spare on my motherboard. 

My budget is 100 - 150 euro.

I did some research myself and found the following products:

- Xonar u7
- SOUND BLASTER X-FI HD
- Fiio e10

After reading some reviews about these 3 products I found out that the fiio e10 is very popular and I couldn't find any negative review. But I like that the xonar and creative soundcards support 5.1 sound for my logitech speakers. Unfortunatly the fiio doesn't support this. But to be honost, I prefer better soundquality over 5.1 sound for my speakers, but 5.1 sound for my speakers would be really cool. These 3 products are still below my budget since I can go up to 150 euros, so if anyone knows something that fits me better or if someone can recommend me one of these 3 products with some good arguments, that would be really appreciated.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hello,

I currently own the ATH-m50 and Logitech Z501 speakers.

I'm assuming you mean Logitech Z506 speakers?

I would think the Asus Xonar U7 or Creative Labs Omni 5.1 would do the job.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 4

Yes I meant the Logitech z506.

Thanks for the suggestions, but do you think that the dt990 pro for example would benefit from these sound cards?

I believe the Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 comes with a more powerful amplifier then the Asus Xonar U7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back