DAC - Mid Level
Feb 17, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #16 of 44
I spent 1/2 of a year researching DACs and ended up with the Stello. My only complaint so far is that I would love to have a choice between upsampling on and off- the difference b/w the two is much larger than I was lead to believe.

Upsampling "on" emphasizes instrumentation and brings forth an exciting presentation while upsampling "off" is more laid back natural sounding. Vocals are far superior with upsampling off, but some resolution is lost esp. in the higher frequencies. If there were only something in-between, à la DA-220...

Also note that the DA-100 is not at all forgiving to bad recordings. It took some getting used to, but I now appreciate hearing every single flaw instead of ignoring them. This adds character in my opinion but you may feel differently.

Just my 2¢- I haven't heard the other DACs on the list. You won't see me parting with my beloved DA-100 anytime soon though!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent 1/2 of a year researching DACs and ended up with the Stello. My only complaint so far is that I would love to have a choice between upsampling on and off- the difference b/w the two is much larger than I was lead to believe.

Why is that a complaint, DA100 does have upsampling bypass switch? Sorry, don't understand what you really were trying to say.
confused.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #20 of 44
So far really impressed by the warmness of DA100. Im lovin'n my Grados now.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 44
About Stello, does that mean that when switching upsampling off, it fuctions as Non-Oversampling DAC? Or is the meaning between upsampling and oversampling different?

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About Stello, does that mean that when switching upsampling off, it fuctions as Non-Oversampling DAC? Or is the meaning between upsampling and oversampling different?

Upsampling and Oversampling is very much different, a quick googling of the terms will explain things in much more depth and clarity.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 44
I was aware of what oversampling is, but I have always kept upsampling as bad idea, so hence my confusion what it is and why would high-end DAC have it. Just resample it to higher bit-flow? Whats the point unless the DAC also adds something what isnt in original sound?

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #25 of 44
I think i'll get the Stello. I like the DAC in the Pico and from what Andrew said its a bit higher quality so thats good. Also balanced isnt really a issue right now, when I have the funds to fully switch to balanced that will be after i graduate and get a good career and by then there should be new stuff out.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i'll get the Stello. I like the DAC in the Pico and from what Andrew said its a bit higher quality so thats good. Also balanced isnt really a issue right now, when I have the funds to fully switch to balanced that will be after i graduate and get a good career and by then there should be new stuff out.

BTW, new Stello DA100 Signature has balanced output. http://www.aprilmusic.co.kr/AM/produ...00Sig_Spec.doc

Some of my Pico/Stello impressions
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3801983-post39.html

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm anymore info on the DA100 Signature? Release date, price, where to buy, etc?
Also do you know how the DA100 compares to the Lavry DA10?

It's available already from hifi500, $200 on the top of the regular one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back